replacing rear suspension spheres

farook

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes e200 w124 1995
I am new to this site, literally 10mins into it now. Can someone help please? My e200 w124 1995 has increasing become very bouncy.Its almost like a kangaroo. Now, I am not a mechanic, but I am an above average diyer. I have established that the rear suspension spheres need replacing. I have located where all the parts are. Looking from underneath, each sphere is connected to two hoses/pipes. One of these must be low pressure, and it would be easy to undo with a spanner. The other pipe must be the high pressure side, and is totally corroded. Every weekend I attempt to undo it with a hex attachment, but give up quickly. If somebody has replaced these spheres, Can you please tell me how to proceed. If this has to be cut, I need to know where to it from, and can I buy this section of this hose.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Buy new spheres and pipes as they are very likely to shear off when attempting to undo them.

balge59

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 190E 2.0 Automatic
hi
did the spheres on my '88 230TE, similar situation, I know very little about cars but it was a straight forward job - order new lines as a matter of course, the hassle refitting used ones isn't worth it, (especially with corroded ones) new ones are cheap enough as I recall
Check your new spheres mounting studs, some are not threaded all the way down and need a a washer under them to fill the gap and prevent stripping!
I only had a Haynes (and not this excellent forum !)when I did mine but it was easy enough as long as the car is well propped and high enough for elbow room!

cheers!

tjamesbo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1999 CLK430, 2007 VITO 3.0V6 , W124's (1994 320TE , 1993 220TE ) , 07 2.5 X-Type
I did mine, and the hardest part was the nuts underneath, in my case they had corroded on, and they rounded and stripped during attempts to undo, which necessitated cutting and grinding off, not easy above the axle,give them a good soaking in penetrating oil & use a good socket .There is a DIY instruction somewhere on here possibly turnipsock ????
its reccommended to change the two cross axle pipes at the same time .. it only adds about £20 to the Bill but if i recollect the spheres are about £85 each.

OP
F

farook

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mercedes e200 w124 1995
Hi Guys, Thanks for that. The rear suspension spheres are £56 + vat each from Euro car parts, thats 50% less than Mercedes. The bottom pipe however, is not stocked by Euro car parts. Mercedes have quoted £56 + vat each side. Got any ideas where to get these cheaper from? Am I correct in saying that this pipe needs to cut as close as possible at the connection to the sphere, so that the sphere can be lifted from above with ease. Also, is there going to be any fluid loss, and where is the top up reservoir, and what oil?

PINBALL

Reaction score
Website
www.coin-opcommunity.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 E230 / 124 E220 /124 E280 /210 E320 CDI Wagons
You'll find the whitish clearish reservoir bottle on opposite side to w/washer bottle behind headlamp & oil is "Hydraulic Fluid, ZH-M" as its shown on my spare top up bottle from MB.

Ask dealer parts for your 5% discount for car being aged over 5 years old which they should all be aware of ... PLUS you might get another 10% if you say you belong to MBO club.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom