Reserve Fuel

Watto

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
05 CLS55 AMG
Hi, joined up about a week ago but only just got my activation email through so now I can ask my first dumb question :cool:

Had my CLS about a week now and I notice that when the fuel gauge hits about 1/4 of a tank it pops up a little warning saying reserve fuel. However the distance to empty still says a good 90miles. Obviously this is dependent on driving style and shouldnt be taken as gospel but why does the reserve fuel light come on so early? And when you get down to running on fumes do you get a further warning to say seriously now, get some fuel or Im giving up? :mrgreen:

Is it just one of the little foibles of Benz ownership?

cheers

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Welcome :D

Yes, it's all down to driving style and no you wont get another warning..

Take heed.....

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Yes, it's all down to driving style and no you wont get another warning..Take heed.....

"However the distance to empty still says a good 90miles" - on a warm engine at the end of the journey. When you next get in (cold engine, higher instantaneous consumption) that will be a lot less.

Don't panic, that is normal but the gauges are normally accurate, so you have to push your luck, or be very silly to run out.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Your manual will tell you how many litres are left in the tank when it is on reserve. The CLK has 8 litres left.

Russ

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Once you get to about 25 miles left it will show you a cls next to a fuel pump with a hose coming from the pump! all the last mercs have this now!

OP
W

Watto

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
05 CLS55 AMG
Well It got down to 20 odd miles this morning so I gave it the first refuel under my pilotship. Thirsty little bugger too :lol: I also filled a small five litre emergency can which is now tucked in the storage compartment under the boot. Sometimes I do like to push my luck!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Training for British Summer Time? :confused: Russ

Starts tomorrow and we lose an hour's sleep. Those who were very diligent had an early rise, just to get in shape for tomorrow.

In my case, because the bedside clock changed itself - a day early! Just wondered if you were up early for that reason too? :rolleyes:

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Starts tomorrow and we lose an hour's sleep. Those who were very diligent had an early rise, just to get in shape for tomorrow.

In my case, because the bedside clock changed itself - a day early! Just wondered if you were up early for that reason too? :rolleyes:

I was up early to watch the F1 qualifying, so up early tomorrow for the race too. :-D

Russ

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
I was up early to watch the F1 qualifying, so up early tomorrow for the race too. :-D

Russ

Will they re run the qualifying.

Naturally as a dilligent scotsman I was up early but missed the GP qualifying.

Anyway I completely digress. Its not good for the car to run it below 1/4 full, and certainly once the light comes on fill it up. You don't want all the crud at the bottom of the tank being pumped into the engine. I also heard a rumour that a low tank damages the fuel pump, can anyone verify

Last edited:
OP
W

Watto

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
05 CLS55 AMG
Ive never owned a car that I dont run down to the last few drops, I dont intend to change that now. The crud surely sits at the bottom of the tank and therefore what gets into your engine when sloshing around corners etc wont make the slightest difference if its 1/4 full or full to the top :confused:

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
The crud surely sits at the bottom of the tank and therefore what gets into your engine when sloshing around corners etc wont make the slightest difference if its 1/4 full or full to the top :confused:

Yes it does but with little fuel in the tank it will pick up the 'crud' and 'slosh' about even more making the fuel 'silt like' that is when your problems start, believe me I have had it happen:cry:

It always happens when you are far from home, urinating down and your mobile battery is flat and oh yes the pretty lady by your side is getting worried that her husband will be out looking for her;) Metaphorically speaking of course :D

OP
W

Watto

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
05 CLS55 AMG
And I thought MBs were meant to be well made...if some of the hunks of crap that Ive had in my teenage years could cope with a bit of crud Id expect a piece of precision engineering to chew it up, spit it out and go even faster :lol:

Anyway, the point is I now know that the reserve fuel light, although very early, is my one and only warning. I also know that the MPG in my new toy is absolutely shocking :mrgreen:

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Anyway, the point is I now know that the reserve fuel light, although very early, is my one and only warning. :

But see posting 6 from SAMUNIT

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Yes i was being serious, see it at least once a week in my r,class!!!!

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Next time it comes on i will take a photo! then probley run out of fuel!!!

Top Bottom