Resetting Engine Management Light

AandC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203/2003/c180
I foolishly disconnected the MAF sensor while the engine was running. Now the Engine Management Light is on. Is there a manual reset or do i have to get it done by my local garage.

I think I know the answer to this, but there may be a secret fix that I dont know.

Best wishes.

KB

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sorry only on STAR no other way

OP
A

AandC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w203/2003/c180
Thought so, Thanks anyway.

gazzab

Reaction score
I reset my engine management light myself using an ECU reader from Ebay.

owenrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk
Hi Gazzab, I had a look at your purchase on "ebay". It looks a useful piece of kit are you still pleased with it? Presumably it will plug into my (2003) SLK R170. At £30 incl it looks worth having. Thanks for the info. Owen.

gazzab

Reaction score
I cant guarantee it will do for you what you want BUT for me it read my fault codes, it allowed me to reset (and lose teh engine management light) and I could then check the faults hadnt returned. Sorted.

owenrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk
I cant guarantee it will do for you what you want BUT for me it read my fault codes, it allowed me to reset (and lose teh engine management light) and I could then check the faults hadnt returned. Sorted.

Thanks for that. I've had a check round and the "Universal U480" will do, as you say, all that I need, for the moment at least! Will send for one today!! Thanks again.

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Owen,

The one in the link is the same scanner as I use and it works fine.

The OBD port is under the driver's side dash, behind the bonnet release. Just flip the cover, plug it in, turn the ignition on, let it read the 'system' and away you go :)

It's really useful when the light keeps coming on because of oil in the loom!

owenrich

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
slk
Hi Andy, thanks for your last message. The reader will come in very handy and cheaper! I cleaned ten connectors/sockets yesterday for the second time. They all appeared cleaner including the one on top of the "rocker" cover which was originally pretty oily. I managed to pull apart the one on the bellhousing, O2 or Lambda sensor? I did four in the ECU, one for the MAF, three at the cam adjuster, one on the bellhousing and the one on top, ten in all. Are there any others that you know about? Sorry about all the questions, but we seem to be in the same position. I am going to service the roof this weekend, weather permitting. I found a collection of pictures on where & how to do it from an Australian source at Benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1426014-lubing-vario-roof-pics-1-krytox.html Cheers Owen.

wiltsandy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 230K SLK
Hi Andy, thanks for your last message. The reader will come in very handy and cheaper! I cleaned ten connectors/sockets yesterday for the second time. They all appeared cleaner including the one on top of the "rocker" cover which was originally pretty oily. I managed to pull apart the one on the bellhousing, O2 or Lambda sensor? I did four in the ECU, one for the MAF, three at the cam adjuster, one on the bellhousing and the one on top, ten in all. Are there any others that you know about? Sorry about all the questions, but we seem to be in the same position. I am going to service the roof this weekend, weather permitting. I found a collection of pictures on where & how to do it from an Australian source at Benzworld.org/forums/r170-slk-class/1426014-lubing-vario-roof-pics-1-krytox.html Cheers Owen.

You've cleaned far more connectors than I have. Apart from the cam sensor plug before fitting the starter line, I've only cleaned the four on the ECU and the one on the O2 sensor on the bellhousing. Fortunately all the others on my engine seem to be dry.

You might want to try the same as me with regards the ECU and that is to put a small piece of kitchen paper over the pins before you put the loom connector back on. It then gets trapped in the connector and that way any oil will be soaked up by the paper and not go down the pins into the ECU. It's also really easy to change the paper every so often and it seems to be working on mine so far.

SWERVE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 eclass estate
Anybody else using the u480 before I buy one off eBay. Have just changed maf and engine light has came on.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
What MAF was it on your engine, it sounds as possibly defective, engine lamps turned on by the MAF when worn out will usually clear themselves, this is odd this way round

SWERVE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 eclass estate
Going to put the old one back on tomorrow as light was not on before I changed the maf. The only reason I changed it was that the car would sometimes idle a bit rough Ie revs going up and down and sometimes it would stall. Since putting new one on my mpg has increased by abt 3 mpg so was hoping it wasn't a dodgy maf and that the light just needed resetting.

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
sounds more like an air leak causing the engine to hunt. I dont think the MAF does much at idle speed, if anything at all

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom