Retired BMW driver

Quick Silver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R129 1990 SL 300..
Runaway scooter carries off woman

Eileen Bishop said she was "half asleep" when the scooter charged off
An 87-year-old Cornish woman was rescued by police five miles from home when her mobility scooter sped off out of control.

Eileen Bishop, from Perranporth, and her husband Anthony were on their way to church when, he said, she "disappeared off the radar".

Officers later found her heading along the A3075 towards Newquay.

A police community support officer (PCSO) rode the scooter back and said it appeared to be working correctly.

'Full tilt'

Mr Bishop said the incident began when he and his wife set off for St Michael's church.

He said the scooter, which "hadn't been going that well", was set to three-quarters speed.

"Suddenly she passed me at full tilt," Mr Bishop said.

I was half asleep to tell you the truth

Eileen Bishop

"I shouted after her but she is a bit deaf. I couldn't chase her as I've had a triple heart bypass.

"She just disappeared off the radar."

Mr Bishop said he and a neighbour searched for his wife and then went to the police station to report her missing.

"I was just about in tears," he said.

Officers found Mrs Bishop after a motorist reported a mobility scooter "swerving" across the road near Pendown Cross, five miles away.

Mrs Bishop said she was not sure how she got separated from her husband.

"I just lost him. I was half asleep to tell you the truth," she explained.

It took PCSO Michael Ginnelly an hour to drive the scooter back to Perranporth.

"I think Mrs Bishop just gripped the controls and went too fast and held on for dear life," he told BBC News.

Officers eventually found 87-year-old Eileen Bishop five miles away

Rumour has it she was looking for Malcom.......

Last edited:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Runaway scooter carries off woman

"I think Mrs Bishop just gripped the controls and went too fast and held on for dear life," he told BBC News.

Rumour has it she was looking for Malcom.......

Here can we find a woman like this? :rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I may start looking for one, but I do not want a broken one, they cant be fixed.

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Do you mean a scooter Malcolm or a woman? ;)

Just noted you have a fishing rod for sale is that a hint for Malcolm too:D

By the way good on yer Son for his fund raising trip, why not start a list for support I am sure the Mods would not object:D

Roger

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom