Return of the prodigal

KaiserBill

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just thought I would introduce myself.

After a 15 year sojourn I am finally returning to the Mercedes fold. I expect to take delivery of a new 280 CDI E-Class Estate at the end of the month.

I'd spotted the offer on the web-site and it looked a pretty good deal, so after a bit of to-ing and fro-ing here we are.

Unfortunately, as the car is already built, I couldn't spec a factory fitted tow-bar. And because it's a Sport model fitted with a body kit a retrofit at the dealers will cost me £1500 English Shads.:rolleyes:

What other options do I have and must the rear apron be cut?

KaiserBill (but not his batman):mrgreen:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome, the MB tow bar has special electrics that plug into the rear SAM and this does make a nice job.

I do not know much if anything about the car that you have bought, but it has never been possible to fit tow bars to AMG bodied cars. If MB say that they can do it, It is doubtful if the cut anything

OP
K

KaiserBill

Reaction score
Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for the welcome.

My car is one of the Sport lines (as in Elegance, Avantgarde - Sport) not AMG, although the rear apron may well be similar to that fitted to the AMG.

Factory fitting is a piece of cake apparently, and is a fairly low cost option at £565. However as my car is already built and here in the UK I cannot take advantage of the factory fit option. The dealer tells me they can do it but at a cost of £1500 quid as they have to dismantle the whole of the rear bumper and stuff.

I was just wondering if any other owners of Sport E Class Estates had retro-fitted towbars and what advice they may have.

Thanks for your attention.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
When SAM comes on line he may have more info on this, as my 2009 WIS is not working for the minute.

There is retro fit instructions for this job, you could ask the dealer to print them off for you, then you will see what is involved

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
This is a big job and bumper off as you have been told, and the boot has to have all of the side panels removed.

You could try and haggle over the price as you are buying the car from them

Many thanks to SAM for the info

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
It will mostly be a labour charge so I'd be tempted to use an indie for this work. It won't affect the warranty and if its a days work then you're looking at over £400 difference alone.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It will mostly be a labour charge so I'd be tempted to use an indie for this work. It won't affect the warranty and if its a days work then you're looking at over £400 difference alone.

Yes agreed and I can pass on the fit details

OP
K

KaiserBill

Reaction score
Thank you very much for this boys, you've saved me a packet. I have a quote from an professional indie to fit a detacheable swan neck with all electrics for £544.

If the garage can't come up with anything better I'll give them the job.

Can't have a big 'effoff' estate without it being able to tow, can we?

kenny21

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 E280cdi sport, 2005 C200cdi coupe
Hi there, i fitted one on my 2008 E280 CDI sport saloon about a month ago, it is a hassle but nothing major, i would expect the estate to be the same(if not easier for access)I bought the proper pug and play wiring from a towbar suppier(be very careful of some fitters due to the complexity of the cars wireing- not just a splice wires case) All in cost for mine was about £400 for parts (wireing £168)then about 4 hrs labour for 2(best for removing bumper etc)hope this helps.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom