Road trip?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Do make sure you've got an approved breathalyser in the car though, that was a new rule that came in last year. I bought a couple from Amazon last June and I'll take them again this year.

OP
Neil H

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164
Do make sure you've got an approved breathalyser in the car though, that was a new rule that came in last year. I bought a couple from Amazon last June and I'll take them again this year.

On the AA site it says that rule has been withdrawn now..

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The rule is still there but they can't fine you for not having one, having said that for the sake of a tenner I'd prefer to keep any policeman that may have stopped me happy by having one... No reason to upset them is my opinion

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Thanks all, some very useful guidance. Out of interest, is it true that the French toll roads automatically fine you for speeding on an average speed basis?

Yes, a myth. However if you get stopped, the ticket may be your downfall. I understand they print issue times, etc, so along a known distance it is not difficult to calculate speed.

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Yes, a myth. However if you get stopped, the ticket may be your downfall. I understand they print issue times, etc, so along a known distance it is not difficult to calculate speed.

Bugger....I spent ages dawdling at 50mph after a run at over 140mph to even out the speeds between tolls...

AMG-Al

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 CLK 55 AMG
I spent ages with the Gendarmes after a run at over 140......... :)

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
will be doing our annual trip to Slovakia to see the wife’s family in August and every year we have been we have been pulled over and neither time was due to speeding, first time was because we were on the motorway network and hadn't bought the toll (you can by it from 1 day through to 1 year very weird system) so on the spot fine for that 150 euro's (wife managed to talk them down from 300 because where we had got on the network there hadn't been a service station yet so had not been able to buy one) the next time was in Germany and my god are they hard to please, was stopped for about 1 hour while they went through everything and then only left as there had been an accident a few miles up the road and were needed there.

superharrio

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SLK 230
The suggestion of the ferry to Santander is sound. I am currently on my yearly road trip, this time to Lisbon. The lack of other cars on Spanish autovias makes driving fun. 250+ km yesterday on Ruta de la Plata. I doubt if 30 vehicles were going the same way.

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
The suggestion of the ferry to Santander is sound. I am currently on my yearly road trip, this time to Lisbon. The lack of other cars on Spanish autovias makes driving fun. 250+ km yesterday on Ruta de la Plata. I doubt if 30 vehicles were going the same way.

.......... and having a Via-T tag makes life even better :p

TheBluetac

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E300 AMG SPORT
Definitely go for it. You will definitely enjoy it. And as for the breathalyser - totally agree with Blobcat...keeping the local Constabulary happy...for a tenner. No brainer.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just had this European Travel Kit deal sent to me by Scfrewfix this morning. Seems pretty good to me for the price.

travis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 Sport Estate, 2009
A very good tip about getting hold of the SANEF transponder. I've had one for some years now and it saves so much time and hassle at the peage on the toll toads, not least because an 8 year old may well have trouble reaching the ticket dispenser or handing over the toll.
Plus it gives you a wonderfully smug feeling as you waft past the poor souls queuing to pay! ;)

I've just ordered my SANEF transponder, should arrive this morning. :)
I have a similar device for the Portuguese tolls as we visit 4 or 5 times a year but I dismissed the French one, wrongly assuming that you would need a French bank account to connect it to. Thanks for that.
Not that stopping and paying by credit card is much of a chore and certainly quicker than going through the manned booths but it is annoying when you get stuck behind someone who is totally unprepared for making the payment. It also means I don't have to wake my wife up every time we get to a toll gate. :lol::lol:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom