Road trip?

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164
Hi all,
She who was spawned from SWMO (8 year old daughter) has expressed an interest in driving down to the Spanish Villa we are staying at (Alicante) for a week in July..
Obviously would take the W218 as the ML is a bit of overkill for just two of us. Ive mapped it at 1,400 miles so 250 down to the Chunnel then maybe two days broken up with a night half way.
Has anybody got any advice of the best routes or great hotels to stay at? Also, Im pretty sure I heard a few horror stories about the French.... And their toll roads! Are they hideously expensive?
Any advice gratefully recieved.

Finally, I believe that the 218 adjusts headlights automatically? And experience of this?
Cheers

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
8?

Has she got a licence???

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Does the car have ILS? Check your handbook, it'll detail how to enable Continental driving.

andys320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes S211 280 CDi 2009, Porsche Boxster ,much missed Mercedes S320CDi 2003
Driven to Italy a few times circa 1500 miles, always used the toll roads, for the speed as much as anything. Autoroutes pretty good, mainly empty and usually get to Northern Italy to stop - Milan generally. Cost a few quid but horses for courses!

Remenham

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a140
Sounds a bit pointless and boring if the rest of the family are flying down tbh.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Sounds a bit pointless and boring if the rest of the family are flying down tbh.
no cramped airline seats, your own space and you can stop whenever you want and can experience some nice places on th way if you plan a good route. No airport taxes or baggage rules, you can even take a bottle of water into the cabin :)

Remenham

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
a140
no cramped airline seats, your own space and you can stop whenever you want and can experience some nice places on th way if you plan a good route. No airport taxes or baggage rules, you can even take a bottle of water into the cabin :)

Points taken. Have a look at Fly Victor, that would be even more fun.

PeterCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 204 Elegance saloon 220 cdi
1400 miles with an 8 year old. Are you sure she won't be bored before you get to end of the drive?

c15htn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'00 A208 CLK320 Convertible.

Sorry child, that is far too boring for your parent to be bothered with.Nice.

My lad would be over the moon with a trip like that, one to one for a few days with dad...... and tbh I'd love it too!

Enjoy yourselves you two!

carnut13

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL400 & Audi A1 Sport
Try Brittany Ferries to Santander ,then drive down to Alicante....best of both worlds:)

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I'd take RN20 from paris to andorra (through ax les thermes)...a fantastic drive up and cheap petrol (+ everything else) in andorra. I do calais to barcelona every year and find the RN20 is good because it is part free motorway, part toll road and where it is a toll road there is a nice straight a road through good countryside so you can mix up the driving a bit.

With the ferry i think you'll need to stop twice, perhaps first time in the dordogne (maybe beaulieu sur dordogne is a favourite village of mine), come off the toll roads for the dordogne bit as it's so much nicer.

2nd time i'd go for andorra (something like soldeu), because it's a ski village off season which means stunning mountain scenery and cheap, quality accomodation!

Expect atleast €100 in tolls from calais to andorra, not to mention petrol is 10% more epensive (and food, etc is worse quality and expensive too) if you stick to the service station network.

There's a lot of talk about UK motorists being picked on in continental europe but in practice i've yet to be stopped by anyone despite driving an old british reg'd car...i don't speed though so dont know what the attitudes are to this.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
So, 7 days in a villa in Alicante...less the 4 days travelling? Have I got that right?

OP
Neil H

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Current: RRS Autobiography/F-Type R V8 AWD Previous: CLS 400 W218 / CLS 350 CDI W218 / ML350 W164
So, 7 days in a villa in Alicante...less the 4 days travelling? Have I got that right?

I think 11 days in total... Only two of us these days so if we are early or late, doesnt really matter!! I think its a goer, will post some photo's as and when we do it!

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
I'm driving to Venice this year via Dijon and Chamonix. On the way back via Stelvio pass and a few others. I'll plan my route on Google maps and transfer them via a program called Tyre to my tom tom. Normally I'll use toll roads to Dijon and then A roads.

Get one of these as it saves a lot of hassle and queuing.

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
It sounds good, but in practice I think that you'll need two overnight stops.
As long as you don't speed in France then you'll be okay.

Make sure that you have everything ready for Spain (including two warning triangles and a spare pair of glasses in the car, if you wear them).

Many of the local police forces haven't been paid regularly for a while and so they are extracting as much cash as possible through on the spot fines, especially from foreign registered vehicles.

I love road trip holidays - off to Slovenia in mine later this year.

Last edited:

Ductman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDI Estate/R171 200 SLK/Lotus Exige V6/Lotus Evora GT410 Sport
A very good tip about getting hold of the SANEF transponder. I've had one for some years now and it saves so much time and hassle at the peage on the toll toads, not least because an 8 year old may well have trouble reaching the ticket dispenser or handing over the toll.
Plus it gives you a wonderfully smug feeling as you waft past the poor souls queuing to pay! ;)

OP
Neil H

Neil H

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks all, some very useful guidance. Out of interest, is it true that the French toll roads automatically fine you for speeding on an average speed basis?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Thanks all, some very useful guidance. Out of interest, is it true that the French toll roads automatically fine you for speeding on an average speed basis?
No, that's an urban myth

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom