Roof Liner - sun roof in particular

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
I am confident my Car has not been smoked in, but the liner to the Sunroof is decidedly grubby.

What do members use to clean the roof lining? A foam spray and cloths?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I am confident my Car has not been smoked in, but the liner to the Sunroof is decidedly grubby.

I use washing machine liquid in a bowl of warm water on plastics, then rinse off well

OP
shayes

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Thanks Malcolm. It's the cloth that I need to clean and too much water would possibly cause condensation behind it and rust the roof or whatever. Ingress of dirt via the sunroof and static is the cause, but wondering if it can be cleaned. Only see it when I am looking up at the heaven so maybe shouldn't pray so much!

Talking of which I may make it to the Essex meet but car has to be MOT'd on the Monday and Bullet chip in screen (more than 10mm across but out of drivers vision) may fail me. (Praying hard) Be walking to Stansted Airport to get that Plane to the south of France. I know - expect no sympathy!!

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I also use wash powder in warm water for the carpets and seats, applied with a stiff brush. I haven't had to do my roof liner yet but I see no reason not to use it there. I wouldn't worry about the condensation, most of the water will be on you. :D

Is the chip in the windscreen repairable?

OP
shayes

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
I also use wash powder in warm water for the carpets and seats, applied with a stiff brush. I haven't had to do my roof liner yet but I see no reason not to use it there. I wouldn't worry about the condensation, most of the water will be on you. :D

Is the chip in the windscreen repairable?

True about the water.

The chip has in the past been repaired and may have got through a previous MOT - didn't own it then. Though tiny entrance hole and no feeling that it went right through (from inside) it has been filled but is easily visible with a dark arc moving as you change your position of view. Which may mean it was poorly or inadequately filled. Might be worth trying another fill but would possibly need drill out whatever was put in. dodgy!

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I had some chips repaired on another car and they remain visible to some extent. That's Ok though, it's the structural integrity you need to worry about. AFAIK chips can't be repaired twice, if in doubt pop along to your local Autoglass place and discuss it with them.

OP
shayes

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
I had some chips repaired on another car and they remain visible to some extent. That's Ok though, it's the structural integrity you need to worry about. AFAIK chips can't be repaired twice, if in doubt pop along to your local Autoglass place and discuss it with them.

I've phoned the glass people and they will come out today and repair it. As it feels a little rough on the surface maybe its not been repaired before? Usually these repairs should feel smooth after the skimming? Are your repairs smooth or can the surface deteriorate with time and abrasion?

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
If you run a finger nail across the chip you can feel a little indent but it should be filled flush with the surface of the screen. If you can see the chip in all its glory then chances are it hasn't been repaired. Mine are faintly visible in certain light conditions. See what they say when they get to you.

OP
shayes

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
If you run a finger nail across the chip you can feel a little indent but it should be filled flush with the surface of the screen. If you can see the chip in all its glory then chances are it hasn't been repaired. Mine are faintly visible in certain light conditions. See what they say when they get to you.

Autoglass have just repaired the bullyseye which they say had not been previously filled. Thats the good news.
The bad news is that there are three other tiny damage points which they could not repair as only three max. Also, he pointed out that the lamination at the corner of the glass is beginning to absorb (milky), may be a fail point.

So, the bullseye just looks like a faint ring now but will it be enough for the MOT?
Will see on Monday.

Thanks to all.

OP
shayes

shayes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
as stated
Hi Roadhog
It was not drawn to their attention.
No advisory's which is nice. Mind you there are three star marks on the screen which Autoglass said morelikely to be a concern. They will fill for free.

Thanks Malcolm re emission. My Mechie took the car i, n as I loathe the Garage owners for ripping me off when they had my W126 to fix.

He mentioned a wisp of soot by the manifold and wonder if this could affect emissions by back pressure fault? Will need to check it out and replace Gasket. Not noticed any noise or smell, but..

johnboy615

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 c220 Coupe
I've always used glass cleaner and a cloth on my roof lining believe it or not. Brings it up lovely and leaves it much drier than soapy water.

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010

I find Autoglym interior cleaner - sprayed onto a microfibre cloth -
v good for all inside surfaces,inc fabric seats and plastics.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom