Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
209 ROOF STUCK OPEN/CLOSED

The main cause of this on the 209 is the window screen top micro-switch! On the driver’s side on top of the screen you will find where the roof latches down. In that catch is a micro switch under a black lever, if you push the lever you will be able to hear it clicking! 9 times out of 10 flicking the lever frees of the switch then allowing you to close as you would normally.
If you have another fault with the roof then get ready for a work up!

Right, in your tool box/roll you should find 2 straps, if you haven’t then give up now!

To unlock the boot you have to use the blade part of the key, chances are that the boot will be locked due to the roof fault! Once open look at the roof apron hinges, they will have a cap on each, pull up to remove! Once done, there two rods sticking outwards on each hinge, Push these 180 degrees towards the front of the car.

Right, next, look inside the boot trim on the near-side; there you see a pull of cover for the rear Sam (fuse box), remove, and then you will be looking at the roof pump, on the left of the alloy housing there’s a 5mm Allen bolt, turn 1 full turn left, (undo),

Next to the pump you will find a release valve for the apron struts, about the size of a 50p but round, pull and turn 90 degrees or less to unlock!
On the other side in the same place you will find a cut out in the carpet, some have a little warning sticker there, pull the trim away to find the other release valve, pull and twist again!

Right now for the fun part, using the straps, wrap them round the hinges on the apron cover and back through them self’s. Lay them on the apron cover and close the boot. Now you’re looking at the car as normal with the roof down and boot closed, Now you will really need two people unless your super fit or heavy, pull the straps backwards but up at the same time. This pulls the cover up and out of its locked place. Lift the front of the apron up to the rear of the car, and then you can slowly lift the roof back out of its house and into its shut position, Then lift the rear of the roof and slowly close the apron, don’t push back all the way but just to where it was when you pulled it open with the straps. On the centre of the roof inside there a cap, in line with the rear mirror, remove, push the front of the roof home and turn the 5mm Allen to lock it down! Now push the rear or the roof down onto the apron locks! Then push the rear of the apron back home, towards the front of the car, Now open the boot again with the blade key and remove the straps and push the rods back 90 degrees, release the twist valves and close the bleed screw on the pump housing,

Now if you are brave and it was a switch sticking, it will now work, if it’s something more, well, starts from above again!

Sorry it’s so long winded but it is the only way!

dodd1980

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK500 2003
just a query i have a 2003 CLK W209 and i don't see any twist valves near the pump and definately nothing on the other side? is this just for the newer models

OP
Cole@MBS

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Nope, your model will have them, have you removed the small cut outs from the carpet trim?????

dodd1980

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK500 2003
sorry for the bad photo's as it's a bit dark

but here is the pump side
NorthSomerset-20121116-00295.jpg

and here the driver side
NorthSomerset-20121116-00296.jpg

Can't see any cut outs or valves

Oakesy320

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 320 clk conv
I'm new to the site and finding help to fix my 2000 year w208 320 clk conv is proving quite hard, my roof opened no problem then after cleaning the clamshell the roof started to close but stopped halfway through the operation so I was stuck with clamshell open and the back half of the roof up, got the cars manual out to show me how to close roof manually which I did. I have checked the fuse and that was ok and when I try to operate the roof the switch just flashes and nothing happens. Oakesy320

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
It could be that the cable needs adjustment, I would put it on STAR and that should tell you what the problem is

Salvador

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
320 clk
I have the same problem my clk w209 roof will not close and I can't find the hydrolic pressure release switch anywhere please help

mercedes13156

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Cabrio and a Ford Kuga
We've had numerous problems with the microswitch in the top of the windscreen. Is there just one switch? I've now acquired switch cleaner which has been used to clean a few electrical connectors in both cars. Would a good scoosh of this into the microswitch sort it out?

Salvador

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
320 clk
It's seems impossible to open the roof manually on a w209 cab.
I have been through the manual 5 times and followed the instruction to a T.
But the straps to pull the back open is stiff as a board.
Any one had the same problems,
As I can't get mine open.
How MB expect people to get there roof up or down manually is a joke.
Any advise,
On this please.

Kiwispirit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A209 2003 320
Same problem

I have the same problem my clk w209 roof will not close and I can't find the hydrolic pressure release switch anywhere please help

I have followed the instructions to the letter and I cant find the locking mechanism. There is no cut out on the right nor after pulling the carpet away from the side nothing found. Nothing beside the pump at all. Did you find any in the end?

Kiwispirit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A209 2003 320
Did anyone find the answer to this question? Like the above I searched and searched and found no release valves for the apron struts. The only thing I did note was the stretch cord on both sides. Now not being thick - I am an Automotive Engineer, I am picking there has been a change to the configuration. Any Ideas? Mine is a 2003 A209 320 CLK

Thanks in advance

Kiwispirit

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A209 2003 320
Did you find an answer to getting the soft top to manually open/close? I have after lots of research come across the answer!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom