round plastic disk (ESP?) under steering wheel, how to remove

Jon Bernard

Reaction score
Hi,

I need to replace a faulty combination stalk on my 1999 C230K, I have managed to remove the steering wheel but I am now faced with a round plastic disk (ESP?) which is not obvious how to remove without risking breaking or destroying its function , any advice would be much appreciated.

Jon :confused:

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
You dont need to remove the plastic ring as far as I can remember when I did mine. You remove the cowelling/cover underneath the steering column and unplug the stalk from there.

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
Make sure the wheels are facing forwards, then you will see 2 holes in that disc with visible screws under them, un-do those (dont completely remove them, they will prevent the disc from turning once its removed) and it just pulls off, then you can swap the stalk

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom