Rubber Door and Window Seals

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
Does anyone treat their door & window seals? I seem to remember reading somewhere MB sell "Gummi-Fleige" (?) to keep seals flexible and protected from UV degredation.

I apply a littel AutoGlym Vinyl and Rubber treatment, certainly keeps them looking fresh
redface.gif
but does it do any good?
dk.gif

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Certainly in winter time it stops the rubbers from freezing to the door posts, cant see it doing any harm, I use vinyl and rubber care on mine tho i think its autosmart..

jamesmc

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK230K Cabriolet
My German is a little rusty but Gummi=rubber and Fleige=polish, so no secrets in the meaning.

I would suggest any kind of silicone rubber care would do the trick.

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE
Not quite on point, but related question: Does anyone know whether yellow waxoyl would harm rubber seals (I can just see the flipper jokes coming...! :D)

canute

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 W203 220 CDi Coupe
Not quite on point, but related question: Does anyone know whether yellow waxoyl would harm rubber seals (I can just see the flipper jokes coming...! :D)

Just make sure they have their eyes closed when you paint them and you should be ok. Screwfix have some cheap safety goggles but not sure they do them in "seal size"

benzw205

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-class W205
Hello, can you tell me what you are using for rubber now ?

Is there anything not specific to cars that is as good ?

Thank you.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Gummi Pfledge, generic off Amazon. I also treat the inside of the glass run seals with silicone spray (mould release agent) applied with a cotton bud, mainly because I have frameless doors. and the seal is critical.

benzw205

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C-class W205
Thank you. I checked many forum and it seems that Gummi Pfledge is what everybody advise, so I will try it. Should it be enough for a standard sedan with frames ?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
110_zpsgvstwbah.jpg

Picture off t- net £1.99 I know someone who buys it by the case when they can

oh a lot of vintage people use olive oil.
The rest is alright on warm foccacia bread.
You can of course use silicone grease.
Or I have no doubt there is some ludicrously overpriced detailers bat wing grease or other.

Last edited:

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I have a stick of Gummi Pfledge, like a Prittstick. Cost about £10 and will last for years. The silicone spray I use is very similar (and similar cost) to what FS posted above. Quick squirt in the cap, let the vapour clear and dab an earbud into it to apply.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
As above, have a stick which I used on my SL roof/boot rubbers twice in a year and there will be enough easily for my 212 window rubbers when the weather is better.
I say better, it’s easier to apply in warm weather, if you must apply in this temperature stick it in a bowl of hot water first for a few minutes....

Top Bottom