Rust! A bad attitude from Mercedes-Benz.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
WHY should you need MB history anyhow? will being charged over the odds for a service stop a panel rusting? NO!!!!

We bought our 203 as a finance reposession from a toyota dealership. It was less than a year old when they bought it in, and was 23 months old when we bought it with 7k miles on it. it was serviced by them prior to us collecting it, so no full MB history. whilst it appears to have fared better than a lot, i saw dad today and the car has scabs on all wheelarches, and even on the ear quarterpanels, where the bumper meets the panel, and it cant be chipped by a stone or anything. in fact i looked at 1 such blister and there was NO exernal damage to the paint. IMO MB should have to fix it. as it is, we will either have to put up with it, or repair it ourselves at some point

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Here we go again. I'm appalled at mb's attitude in the case of the op. I'd have expected mb to sort it foc. A couple of years ago we wouldn't be having this discussion but clearly an accountant has snuck back into the building. I don't know who is more damaging to industry, accountants or bankers.
However, whilst its unnaceptable for a newish Merc to exhibit rust without mb resolving it, we seem to have gone back on the pre 2002 complaints again. That's getting annoying. Mb's 1998 to 2002 rust era is well known and documented. So please don't complain if you bought one in the last couple of years. As for the '70s comment. The rustiest Merc we ever had wasn't my 2000 w210 in 2005. It was our 1980 w123 in 1984. That was a real mess.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
Here we go again. I'm appalled at mb's attitude in the case of the op. I'd have expected mb to sort it foc. A couple of years ago we wouldn't be having this discussion but clearly an accountant has snuck back into the building. I don't know who is more damaging to industry, accountants or bankers.
However, whilst its unnaceptable for a newish Merc to exhibit rust without mb resolving it, we seem to have gone back on the pre 2002 complaints again. That's getting annoying. Mb's 1998 to 2002 rust era is well known and documented. So please don't complain if you bought one in the last couple of years. As for the '70s comment. The rustiest Merc we ever had wasn't my 2000 w210 in 2005. It was our 1980 w123 in 1984. That was a real mess.

we have owned our car since 23 months old. it sat in a showroom for 12 months before that! we had spots (that were unseen to passers by) at 7 years old, but dealers wouldnt entertain us. the car is now 10 years old and is rustier than my neglected focus, the focus was £20k LESS new than the 203, and has over twice the mileage on it. mine stands out in all weathers, seldom gets cleaned etc, dad keeps his clean and it rusts. the par that annoys me most is that it is spoiling the ownership experience for him slightly and, due to MS, this may be the last car he ever 'owns'.

OP
R

Ringway

Thanks again for the replies.

I know the rust problem is evident from all era's from the late 90's to the present day. What flabbergasts me is awful attitude of Mercedes-Benz when confronted with warranty claims.

For the record, I will not accept a repair on my tailgate. Only a new one will do, and even if that offer did come my way from MB, I'm not sure I would want their low-paid, fix-it-quick, subcontactors working on my Dualiner.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I have MB FSH but still had to fight for MOBILO cover which I have now got and had documented for any future problems.
I even have internal communications documentation from MB which reveals some of their employees shameful attitude.
Its a shame that MB's premier brands status has been so badly damaged by dreadful decisions in the manufacturing and design stages.
Within a decade we will be buying Far East products as they get their act together.
Take Samsung Electronics, from novelty junk to monster manufacturer of decent products and then buying Sony out of display panel manufacturing;
why because Sony got dear, lazy and over confident remind you of any one ?

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500L 2001, gone but, never forgotten
I do not know how the guy in contact with watchdog is doing trying to round up MB owners with this horrible problem. We have had a couple of post from where they issued country court claims and MB paid up before the time date

Not for me they didn't!!

If I want to take MB back to the Civil Court. I have to seek permission from a Judge first:shock:

Last edited:

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
MB has grown worldwide and times are hard so minimising their costs is all that matter. Then, unfortunately customer service is more about how many customers you can P--s Off without damaging sales.

Your only choice is to become a bigger pain than the others customers who are complaining. It will a simple matter of deciding whether if you go to law it will cost them more than sorting the problem.

You should write and tell tham you intend to hold them responsible for the costs they are causing you .

Good luck on that tack. I must have cost MB a lot of money. I still owe them £15,000 for the Costs against me. I am hoping that MBUK take me to Court to try to get the money off me:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Good luck on that tack. I must have cost MB a lot of money. I still owe them £15,000 for the Costs against me. I am hoping that MBUK take me to Court to try to get the money off me:)

That is a lovely foot note ;)

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
If you feel that strongly about it, why not have the tailgate repaired for £350 and claim it back via the Small Claims Court? You'll have your day in court and it won't bankrupt you if you lose

Nick Froome

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If you feel that strongly about it, why not have the tailgate repaired for £350 and claim it back via the Small Claims Court? You'll have your day in court and it won't bankrupt you if you lose

Nick Froome

Be very careful going to the Small Claims Court. It only works if the claim is not defended. If it is and you lose it may well cost you thousands in Costs.

My last Small Claims Court applications cost me £7,000+.

Well, it would have, if I had paid it:lol:

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Be very careful going to the Small Claims Court. It only works if the claim is not defended. If it is and you lose it may well cost you thousands in Costs.

My last Small Claims Court applications cost me £7,000+.

Well, it would have, if I had paid it

Hmm me thinks you must have been a tad vexatious to accrue such a sum under Part 27 of the Civil Procedure Rules you must have rattled a cage or two.
I don't think a MCOL loss could even if contested could come to much over £100 even if a higher than limit sum is agreed too in staying with the small claims track.

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hmm me thinks you must have been a tad vexatious to accrue such a sum under Part 27 of the Civil Procedure Rules you must have rattled a cage or two.

That's a fair comment. I was very persistent in my quest for Justice.

MBUK did not proceed with their proposed application to have me declared a vexatious litigant. That's a Royal Courts of Justice matter:shock:

This is why I comment when legal action is proposed; its not that easy to take MBUK to court unless you have very deep pockets and a very, very good claim.

colin ling

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML 280 CDI 2008
Taking MBUK to court

My experience is that it is very easy to take MBUK to court.

I had the correct "Full MB Service History", all the required paperwork to prove Mobilo Life cover and issued successfull claims (twice) via MCOL - Money Claim On Line, the online version of the County Court.

MBUK lied and said I did not have a full service history, but when I sent their Legal Department a copy of my service book, the legal department said they did not have access to the service records system, and settled my claim immediately (I had already paid for £2000.00 of rust repairs).

Dont be put off, take them to court, MCOL gives the little man a chance to take on those who refuse to honour warranties that were offered during the sales process.

Attachments

• Mercedes Rust Cheque.jpg
    Mercedes Rust Cheque.jpg
    196.7 KB · Views: 40

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90

I had the correct "Full MB Service History", all the required paperwork to prove Mobilo Life cover and issued successfull claims (twice) via MCOL - Money Claim On Line, the online version of the County Court.

MBUK lied and said I did not have a full service history, but when I sent their Legal Department a copy of my service book, the legal department said they did not have access to the service records system, and settled my claim immediately (I had already paid for £2000.00 of rust repairs).

Dont be put off, take them to court, MCOL gives the little man a chance to take on those who refuse to honour warranties that were offered during the sales process.

Good on you! :D

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Well done.

"Did not have access to the service record system"? ummmmmmm, why not?

robertjrt

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't think a MCOL loss could even if contested could come to much over £100 even if a higher than limit sum is agreed too in staying with the small claims track.

I did not use the MCOL.

I went before a District Judge, perhaps that's where I went wrong.

Transcripts are wonderful things to read:)

It was interesting to read a lot of my postings from this site as evidence of my continued refusal to stop issuing claims against MBUK:cool:

Who would have thought that MBUK would read blogs about Mercedes-Benz!

I am shocked and surprised, who would have thought MBUK would do such a thing.:shock:

The next this somebody will post that MBUK employ private enquiry agent to do background checks on their customers who threaten litigation.:rolleyes:

Maybe a personal credit check is part of the enquiry agents tasks?

All is fair in Love and Law:)

LTD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDi Coupe Sport
So one simply rolls up to the MB Head Office in MK with a rusting MB and asks for it to be fixed under warranty if it's less than 30 years old ?

Somehow it's not so simple ....

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
No, but its not as hard as you imply if your claim is reasonable and meets the requirements of the contract (Mobilo) and many many people do but are disuaded.

47p2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W638, W140, W220, W639 All gone but not forgotten
Many years ago when my father had his Mercedes Heckflosse (Fintail) 220B I can remember well it being a rust bucket at the age of 5 years old, the top of the front wings where they met up with the bonnet was rusted through to the extent that serious work was required to rectify it. This was normal back then, most cars were showing signs of corrosion in some form or other by the time they reached 5 years old. Manufacturers such as Ford were one of the worst.

Roll on 45 or so years and Mercedes-Benz have still not managed to sort out their corrosion faults, yet almost all other manufacturers have. It's embarrassing parking up in the supermarket car park in your 7 year old rusting Mercedes which cost somewhere between £30k-£60k new next to a £10k-£12k 10 year old Ford Mondeo that looks like it just came out the wrapper.

It would not cost a great deal at the manufacturing stage for Mercedes to ensure these cars were protected, but greed and the need to keep investors happy by giving them a large lump sum of money every year means that the bean counters will and do cut every corner they can at the expense of the buyer.

We are much less tolerant than we were 45 years ago when my father owned his Mercedes, the internet allows us to communicate with fellow owners all over the world who have similar problems and can share experiences. Maybe it is time we all got together and tackled Mercedes-Benz as a 'one' and not as an individual, that might make them wake up and smell the coffee

Top Bottom