rust and peeling paint

GlynC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi A8 Sport
Just been crawling around cleaning my wheels today, and noticed a bit of paint loose on the front section of the wheel arch. On the C class this in the metal section after the plastic sill part towards the front of the rear arch.
Anyway it seems this was fairly loose and came away with a scratch of the finger nail. I have now cleaned it up and touched it it with some primer then some top coat. I checked the other side and b*gger me it was the same.:mad:
So again cleaned up the area and finshed with primer then paint. More for temporary protection than anything.
The rust was very much surface rust and not deep into the metal at this stage. SO a proper repair should see this off and I think as this small section is almost a separate panel it should be a simple repair.
What is the situation with MB on this. The car is an 05 with 24K on the clock. The last service was with an indy, before I bought it last month. Is it worth me speaking to a dealer or am I better biting the bullet and getting it done elsewhere?
Not impressed to be honest, thought MB had sorted their rust problems out!:confused:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Thats bad Glyn on an 05 car MB will do it for you free,,you may have to have one service with an MB dealer to get this done

OP
GlynC

GlynC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi A8 Sport
Thanks Malcolm
I might wait till it needs a service then and visit my usual dealer...... Or should I take it now and start the ball rolling?
Hope I haven't done the wrong thing by touching it in first, thought it best to cover it up though ;)
The rest of the bodywork is spotless. I have checked all the door bottoms and usual spots
Felt a bit let down to be honest
:(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Malcolm
I might wait till it needs a service then and visit my usual dealer...... Or should I take it now and start the ball rolling?
Hope I haven't done the wrong thing by touching it in first, thought it best to cover it up though ;)
The rest of the bodywork is spotless. I have checked all the door bottoms and usual spots
Felt a bit let down to be honest
:(

Cars after 04-04 are supposed to be rust proof,,and yes I bet you do feel let down,, they cant argue on the touching up,as it shows that you have done what you could and just not ignored it

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
It would have been much better if you had left it alone, they can now argue that it has been tampered with, 'tho I would expect a well run establishment to take your complaint seriously and repair the ares properly...

SQ_W211

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W219 CLS55 AMG
If it is starting to rust, then why should you wait till next service as that might spread and get worse which may cost your more if MB refuse to repair(this has happened once or twice in past)

keith100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c300 2008 (Gone)
Rather discouraging on a 4 yr old car. If its rusting, then the galvanizing has gone too!

OP
GlynC

GlynC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi A8 Sport
Frankly I was gobsmacked:(
I know that area takes a fair beating in terms of debri and stones etc.
But I have had cars with 80K on the clock with no rust round that area. The paint was peeling off and I could scratch it off with my nail
All I have done it carefully brush some paint over the damaged area so hopefully they will not try to get out of repairing it.
The paint seems very thin too.
Whatever I hope this being a small isolated section of metal should be able to get this fixed without too many problems matching paint etc. ;)

OP
GlynC

GlynC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi A8 Sport
UPDATE

Been to the MB dealers today to meet the paintwork/warranty man which was visiting.
He inspected the car and mentioned he has seen a few like this :confused:
He went round the car with a paint thickness gauge checking each panel in turn. All ok no repairs :D
Didn't seem bothered that I had touched up the damage, and he took some digital photos of the vehicle. He then made out a job card which I signed etc. They now want a copy of the V5 and the service book.......which is my worry as I have only just bought the car (about a month ago) and the last service looks like it was an Independant :(
I am concerned this may be their excuse to try and palm this off but will advise as things progress next week. They did service my E55 and the one before that so should know I not trying to pull a fast one but...you never can be sure with them I guess
:rolleyes:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Lets keep our fingers crossed for you, and good luck

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom