Rust - Body repair needed in Chichester area

Rodg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 2001
My 2001 S320 has slight (for its age) rust on OS wheel arches and along bottom of the driver door. A very good local bodyshop don't want to do it - they say the problem will only reappear within a few months. Having now read up on the rust issues with this generation of MBs I now understand why. But it's a great car and it would be criminal to do nothing. Can anyone suggest a bodyshop on the south coast that would be able to some good?

Thanks in advance

peternutkins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 cdi estate 2001
Got the same problem on my 220 on the rear arches, cleaned the mud off and give the backs a good coat of grease, that has at least stopped it getting worse, for the bottom of the doors squirt some oil into the door until it runs from the drain holes, that should stop it.

I am hoping to repair mine when its a bit warmer, grind or sand back to shiny metal and apply fiberglass filler, grind to shape and cover with a thin layer of filler, sand this to shape and smooth, get an aerosol can of matching paint and apply in thin layers the grease the back of the repair, this should stop it coming through again for quite a while.

Peter

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
My 2001 S320 has slight (for its age) rust on OS wheel arches and along bottom of the driver door. A very good local bodyshop don't want to do it - they say the problem will only reappear within a few months. Having now read up on the rust issues with this generation of MBs I now understand why. But it's a great car and it would be criminal to do nothing. Can anyone suggest a bodyshop on the south coast that would be able to some good?

Thanks in advance
I don’t know of anyone but give MBS Southampton a call and they are bound to know someone they can recommend.

OP
R

Rodg

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 2001
Answering my own question - in the end I was fortunate to find Dragon Auto Body and Paint. Tony there did an amazing job. Highly recommended* His number is 07845 981415.
* of course, it might be back to rust in a few weeks, in which case I'll come back with an update - but I have a good feeling about him

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom