Rust on B pillars 220ce

gorselands

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 W124 220ce
Rust is begining to show, a couple of small blisters, on both B posts/ door pillars below the striker plate. I was wondering before I take out the rear side panel to investigate (a job I really dislike). Has anyone come across/treated this problem and is the back of the pillar accessible?

Thanks

gorselands

1993 124 220ce

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
B pillars are normally reinforced in that area and this is the main cause of the rusting as the area behind isnt rustproofed.. I would repair the area from the front and then remove the panel and spray waxoyl or similar into the bowels of the B pillar..

OP
G

gorselands

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 W124 220ce
Thanks Xtractorfan,

does that mean the back of the post is accessible with the panel off?

Gorselands

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE
I've had a look at my B pillar as my panel happens to be off. The only access is via the holes that the panel clips insert into. You will be able (just) to spray the bowels as XtractorFan suggests, but you would need a very good mist to get it all the way up the B pillar.

OP
G

gorselands

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1993 W124 220ce
Thanks White230ce, Thought it would be difficult to get at.

White230CE

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 W124 230CE
Access to inside of B pillar

Thanks White230ce, Thought it would be difficult to get at.

Hi gorselands.

There is a way to get to all of the inside of the B pillar. I was putting the chrome strike plate back on yesterday when I realised two things. You can squirt waxoyl in through the three screw holes. Better still, if you have the strike plate off, and you lift the rubber seal which interfaces between it and the B pillar, the top opening of the B pillar is exposed and you can very easily put anything down it, from top to bottom!

Hope this helps. :D

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom