Rust on new car 21 Reg

RichardFliey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180
I have a A180 6 months old the brake caliper are showing signs of Rust also the inside of the wheels are showing a bit too Mercedes’ are saying due to Road salt or cleaning products I have asked the valeted they use only water dose anyone else have same problem

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Welcome to the forum.
Its common for the edges and hub section of the brake discs/rotors to rust. The friction face will rust if left wet or in damp conditions as its naked metal, but use of the brakes should clean it off - you will need to brake harder to repeat this on the rear brakes due to the front bias.

I thought that front callipers were painted and so wouldn't expect them to rust.
Rust on the inside of your wheels? Are they steel? You can expect brake dust/debris to collect on the inside of the rim. This will contain steel particles, could it be that rusting that you see? Few car valets actually clean the inside area of the rim.

MB will have mentioned wheel cleaning products as many contain chemicals that will react with steel.

Gazwould

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 CDI
MB premium car , lol .

Here's a Kia on the assembly line .

20190430_091840.jpg

Reactions: DSK
OP
R

RichardFliey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180
Welcome to the forum.
Its common for the edges and hub section of the brake discs/rotors to rust. The friction face will rust if left wet or in damp conditions as its naked metal, but use of the brakes should clean it off - you will need to brake harder to repeat this on the rear brakes due to the front bias.

I thought that front callipers were painted and so wouldn't expect them to rust.
Rust on the inside of your wheels? Are they steel? You can expect brake dust/debris to collect on the inside of the rim. This will contain steel particles, could it be that rusting that you see? Few car valets actually clean the inside area of the rim.

MB will have mentioned wheel cleaning products as many contain chemicals that will react with steel.
It’s not on the brake disk but the brake caliper them selfies I have a friend who has a 20 reg and his are fine but they also look like they are different to the ones fitted on my 21 reg

OP
R

RichardFliey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180
6 months old

Attachments

• 58A8E38D-FB1A-4D65-B160-8AB82DD653A1.jpeg
    58A8E38D-FB1A-4D65-B160-8AB82DD653A1.jpeg
    225.6 KB · Views: 68

Droverunner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 CLK 220 CDi Sport. 2014 S-Max 2.0TDCi.
In truth that does look a bit tatty for 6mths old. On my 9yr old 59k mls Viano the front calipers are a dull/dirty silver/grey but not rusty like that. They are not painted but either a higher grade casting or some sort of plating perhaps.

I'd get yours wire brushed and spray painted if the look troubles you. Heat proof silver spray can from Halfords would do the trick.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
6 months old

That looks terrible for such a new vehicle , looks like whatever sub standard coating was on the caliper has been removed either by aggressive pressure washing or by a corrosive cleaning agent.

If a cleaning agent was strong enough to strip the caliper coating i would expect all the wheels / suspension components / brake pads to show some level of surface discoloration.

If the other calipers are not in a similar condition then the dealers theory about over aggressive cleaning products doesn`t hold any weight , if all calipers are in a similar condition then you will need to get a bit lively with the Hammerite .

K

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
I have a A180 6 months old the brake caliper are showing signs of Rust also the inside of the wheels are showing a bit too Mercedes’ are saying due to Road salt or cleaning products I have asked the valeted they use only water dose anyone else have same problem
It may well be a lot older than 6 months. There will be a build date on a sticker under the bonnet somewhere going the details. Ditto the wheels could be older. It could have been sat in a puddle, on a dockside, by the sea, near a chimney stack coughing out all sorts of carp. :geek:;)

mancman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC 250D
It’s probably been stored outside till it’s sold, take it straight back to where you bought it from. RIP em a new one.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
That looks terrible for such a new vehicle , looks like whatever sub standard coating was on the caliper has been removed either by aggressive pressure washing or by a corrosive cleaning agent.

If a cleaning agent was strong enough to strip the caliper coating i would expect all the wheels / suspension components / brake pads to show some level of surface discoloration.

If the other calipers are not in a similar condition then the dealers theory about over aggressive cleaning products doesn`t hold any weight , if all calipers are in a similar condition then you will need to get a bit lively with the Hammerite .

K
I wouldn’t be surprised if 38% hypochlorite has been “abused“ to clean the wheels at a car wash in its short life

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
I wouldn’t be surprised if 38% hypochlorite has been “abused“ to clean the wheels at a car wash in its short life

Very possibly , a mate of mine had the paint stripped from his Transit wheel trims at a local "Scratch + Swirl" franchise that used some super aggressive cleaning product . If that is the case then all the calipers will be in a similar condition , if not then a trip back to the dealer would be on the cards.

K

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
Assuming thats a 6month from new car, thats pretty shocking to be honest.

Could it be the calipers were not even coated from the factory.

My calipers get dirty, kind of grimy, but surface rust like that, now way.

Looks like iron thats been pulled out of a pond.

clarkmichigan55b

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes 208D T1 van 1989
If you use a hand car wash service these people tend to spray the wheels with truck wash which has an aggressive cleaning agent in the fluid and this will accelerate the corrosion on the calipers and the brake caliper carrier.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If you use a hand car wash service these people tend to spray the wheels with truck wash which has an aggressive cleaning agent in the fluid and this will accelerate the corrosion on the calipers and the brake caliper carrier.
See post #13... ;)

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom