RUST- THE RULES Aug 2009

Status
Not open for further replies.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLC300 - C250d Estate 4 Matic & Z900rs
Can you give links to these please? The only reports I have seen relate to a small number in the first year of production (2005). Mercedes have publicly accepted the problem and are putting right the affected cars free.

Although both the A and B are fully galvanised, there was a problem where the steel is bent over and crimped at the edge of doors and the tailgate. This has long since been corrected. I have checked a few A's and B's built in the early days but none had any rust -including my brother's from March 2005.

I'll see if I can find them over the weekend, bit definately 2006 & 2007 models rusting complete with photographs.

Russ

GlynC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi A8 Sport
Hi Chaps

My C200 2005 has both rear wheel arches with flaking paint and minor surface rust. :confused:
The section to the front of the arch above the sill is the area affected. I have rang the local dealer a couple of days back, and as yet haven't had a call back to arrange the viewing. (sorry but this is one of the reasons I sold the E55 and bought the XK, MB dealers are very poor) :(
I will report in as soon as they have seen the car. I am hoping it can be repaired FOC. ALso as it seems to be confimed to a small area which is easy to isolate for repair it shouldn't look obvious afterwards either. If I have to I will just get it done as I like my car to be A1
The car has cover 24K miles and shouldn't be suffering this! Very disapointed when I saw this whilst cleaning the wheels last weekend, hadn't poked around there before and the paint came away easily.
From what I can see the rest of the car is not affected. The paint in this area seems very thin and easy to flake off, and the fact both sides had the same problem inidates it's wasn't just a bad stone mark which had opened this up.
:confused:

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Cabrio (A124) - 1994
rust

Only joined today as I am looking to buy a mid 90s SL320. But I have had a number of Fiats, Alfas and Lancias from the early 90s onward and none of them rusted like Mercedes do. I cannot believe Mercedes were not galvanising panels in the 80s, never mind late 90s. Shocking. Funny how they have got away with it, unlike the Italians.......

I think a 95 SL should be ok.

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have had a number of Fiats, Alfas and Lancias from the early 90s onward and none of them rusted like Mercedes do.

I had a 1988 Lancia Thema Turbo, a really great car but when I sold it, rust was starting around the top of the rear window, everywhere else was solid though and it would have been about 7 or 8 years old.

Russ

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello and welcome,,try and go for a late 95 on,,none of them rust,,so no problem there

rf065

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can you give links to these please? The only reports I have seen relate to a small number in the first year of production (2005). Mercedes have publicly accepted the problem and are putting right the affected cars free.

I found this, which has pictures of the door seams at fault and suggests the problem was not rectified until after a build date of June 2006. It also suggests that some owners are not getting repairs done to their satisfaction either.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w169-class/1458430-questions-about-2005-a200cdi-3-door.html

If anyone speaks German & would like to translate this one?

http://www.elchfans.de/wbb2/thread.php?threadid=24956

Russ

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Russ paste the link into google it will find it click on translate

lanciaman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 Cabrio (A124) - 1994
I had a 1988 Lancia Thema Turbo, a really great car but when I sold it, rust was starting around the top of the rear window, everywhere else was solid though and it would have been about 7 or 8 years old.

Russ

Hi Russ. Man of taste. The rear screen was the place they went... not the badge appeal of Mercs but they were much better than the press and general public perceived. Salute you for having one!

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
i have owned a 97. e-300. td. 7 seat. eleg. estate from new. cost £51K, lots of extras. now covered 194,000 miles, still smoothe, powerfull etc, spent £8K on repairs.

rust has been a big problem, at the 5 yr mark i soaked the car in waxoil, removed all the rubber door seals and treated with a rust neautraliser and then finnigan's epoxy paint.

i still get small paint blisters here and there and treat them as described.

very sad situation and totally imcompatible with the engineering design quality, bit like a race horse with skin cancer.

i was weaned on the austin rover cars of the sixties, so the situation with my merc. is easy to bear. herbiemercman.

Last edited:

GlynC

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi A8 Sport
Quick update
Had some more pictures of my cars rusty bits taken today.
Whilst at the dealers a chap with an S class (not the most recent model) was there having his inspected too. Don't know the year but he said it had only covered around 30K miles.
I had a brief chat and he said he had "lots" of it in various places!!! :eek:

I am hoping they will agree to sort mine after this, the chap also was inspecting the actual wheel arch and said he thought that needed doing too! I must admit I hadn't really looked all around there, as it's hard to do it without getting the wheels off.

Will keep updating as things progress ;)

svillord1

Reaction score
hi

i ve been trying to check if my ml320 1999 model is also covered because it has rust on the tailgate wheel arches quite a few mo places, please let me know if i am eligible.

cheers
svillord1

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Sorry but have a look at this

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/76920-s211-rust-bubbles-tailgate-2.html#post861848

Different forum but 53 211 rusting. Not a penny from MB. I have a question for Hawk20?

No matter where a car is serviced rust proofing is not included. I cant recall any MB dealer doing a bodywork service so why whether if a car is dealer serviced or indie serviced should MBs treatment of goodwill be different to a dealer vs indie car, because the bodywork is not something touched be either. Its immaterial really where the car is serviced as the bodywork is at most steamcleaned at a dealer/indie. For mechanical work I can understand MBs rules but for bodywork, nope. Its not like it goes into MB dealer and gets MB approved undersealent etc.

Last edited:

pjtynan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK 320, Toyota Rav4
I have just been told that my year 2000 SLK is not covered for any rust repairs ( not totally unexpected ) as it is over 8 years old.
I purchased the car in June this year and it has MB service except for one.
Has anybody had any luck appealing in similar circumstances, I do not want the aggro if there is no chance.

thanks pjtynan

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have just been told that my year 2000 SLK is not covered for any rust repairs ( not totally unexpected ) as it is over 8 years old.
I purchased the car in June this year and it has MB service except for one.
Has anybody had any luck appealing in similar circumstances, I do not want the aggro if there is no chance.

thanks pjtynan

See the sticky rust thread post 47 where someone took them to court and they aid up

Segdude

Reaction score
Website
www.southernsegway.com
Your Mercedes
'09 C180k Blue Efficiency Sport Estate
Hi guys, newbie here.
I bought an 03 C200 estate from an MB dealer 3 years ago. When I looked at it the car had only just arrived in (p/ex). There was a scrap on the rear n/s bumper, which I was told would be taken care of before delivery. This was in fact being "taken care of" on the morning I arrived to make the payment etc, and it was a mobile repair franchise doing the work. Now I do realise the bumpers are not metal, and it was only a scape, but is that acceptable? How would that possibly affect a "rust" claim in years to come?
I must admit, I kept a close eye on it for the duration of my ownership (sold in Jan this year) and it stood the test of time.
Ordered my brand new C180k Sport estate two days ago, so looking forward to getting back into a Merc.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Hello and welcome,,you will find that the new one is a different cup of tea completely, the build is so much better now,,lucky you :D:D

brav607

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 CLK320
I was quite lucky with my 2001 CLK320.
It is fully serviced, half MB half independant. Had rust appearing in rear wheel arches so went through MB in Shrewsbury who agreed to have the areas repaired. When I took the car to the body shop, I noticed another spot on the n/s front arch. A week later, I had the car back repaired, sides sprayed and with two new wings .... just the stone chips on the bonnet to worry about now !
Absoluteley no wrangle with MB over this issue ....

OP
H

hawk20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML250 BlueTEC Sport
Sorry but have a look at this

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/bodywork/76920-s211-rust-bubbles-tailgate-2.html#post861848

Different forum but 53 211 rusting. Not a penny from MB. I have a question for Hawk20?

No matter where a car is serviced rust proofing is not included. I cant recall any MB dealer doing a bodywork service so why whether if a car is dealer serviced or indie serviced should MBs treatment of goodwill be different to a dealer vs indie car, because the bodywork is not something touched be either. Its immaterial really where the car is serviced as the bodywork is at most steamcleaned at a dealer/indie. For mechanical work I can understand MBs rules but for bodywork, nope. Its not like it goes into MB dealer and gets MB approved undersealent etc.

Sorry missed your query.

I don't think T's and C's of a contract have to be relevant to any particular claim. They are the T's and C's that need to be met for a claim to be valid. Annoying but I think this is the legal position.

My dealer does notify me of any damage or areas that need treating when I have a service. Also gives report on tyres, brakes etc etc.

My brother's A class on its last service with an MB dealer had an 'update' done (or 'service campaign') which was described as 'further rustproofing measures'. I don't know exactly what was done.

I am sad that MB appear to be tightening observance of T's and C's but I suppose the recession has caused many to do this. Oddly the posting by brav607 just before this one suggests that in some cases they are being flexible again. I am as confused as anyone.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It all is a shame,,prevention is always better than any cure, and everyone would have been better off,,a system that prevails now of pot luck, as to whether your car gets fixed is not very good, and should not be affected by any recession, as that is nothing to do with the car going rusty

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom