RUST - W203 C Class

amclean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C32
Hi

I have a 2001 AMG C32 with rust coming through at the rear wheel arch. I've had the car for 2½ years and the car is well cared for IMO so I'm surprised to see it so soon. But from this site it appears to be a common issue. Obviously I want to halt it before it gets worse. It may have been from stones from the rear wheel drive, see photo below.....

Wheel-Arch.jpg

Does anyone know of a DIY procedure to treat this that will result in stopping the corrosion and a obtain respectable finish.

I also seem to have corrosion inside the filler cap where it bonds to the rear quarter, I'll need to get the wheel off and get under for a look.

I have read a bit about Bilt Hamber deox gel, but would that strip paint over the good metal as well, I need to be careful about not damaging the good paint.

Any recommendations/advice appreciated. Thanks.

Alan

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Talk to your local mb dealer about this, it should be covered!!

Welcome to the forums!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Hello Alan and welcome, that is not stone damage. One thing I would do is to clean out the mud and dirt that you will find on the inside of the wheel arches, and then waxoil them on the inside well, do the same with the front.

The edge in the picture I would clean up with T cut, that will remove the stains, and you could use an aerosol without coming around the corner onto the side of the car, this would not show as its on a different plain to the sides, you could mask off just on the inside, and paint, remove the masking and the line will Tcut away, re mask and put some clear on and you will not see it. Do clean out the fronts too

OP
A

amclean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C32
Thanks guys. Not sure how long this forum has been going, but I don't recall seeing it a couple of years ago.

Here's a couple of photos of areas that are rust free :)...

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1509.jpg

IMG_1531.jpg

Will keep you posted on progress.

Alan

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That looks a nice car :D:D very nice in fact. The forum has been running from 2002

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Dont, i would love a 32 or a 43 amg, want one now!!!!

OP
A

amclean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C32
Thanks guys, those were from Feb this year when I bought some Collinite 476 wax. Sorry, I'm one of those sad people who spends more time than I should cleaning the car, as can be confirmed here. (Got a row for leaving the bottle on the roof :eek:). Satisfies an OCD I guess.

I used to post on mbworld but there didn't seem to be many posting on there from UK. Will keep an eye on this site.

Thanks for advice so far.

Alan

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I used to do a lot of post on MB world, but as you say not many from the UK and a different world in some ways.

Why not take care of it, I love my 230 SL

OP
A

amclean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C32
It finally goes in today for the assessment. Only two months left before it's over the 8 year old period, so hopefully it'll get done. Will update you in a couple of weeks time as I'm away for a couple of weeks.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
It finally goes in today for the assessment. Only two months left before it's over the 8 year old period, so hopefully it'll get done. Will update you in a couple of weeks time as I'm away for a couple of weeks.

Good luck with that. Your car is clearly not neglected - in fact it is a moving advertisement for what is good about MB.

They would not want to imply that rust is part of their proposition now, would they? :confused:

duncanh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 520d SE F10, formerly c220cdi estate (for 12.5 years and 345k miles), before that w124 and w210
It may have been from stones from the rear wheel drive, see photo below.....

I agree, it is caused by stone chips, mine is exactly the same. I would be very surprised if you don't find more rust on the top edge of the wheel arch. It is difficult to view because it is bent well back.

If Mercedes will not fix it under warranty, there are a number of easy ways to fix it yourself. This is how I did mine.

I took all of the inner lining out, scrubbed mine clean and found absolutely no rust behind the wheel arch lips. It was all on the painted outside surface and the edge. This proved to me that it was not coming from behind, but wholly from stones thrown up by the rear wheels. I took all of the rust off mine (wire brush on electric drill) and treated it with POR15, the silver variety is a reasonable match for Mercedes Brilliant Silver (744). I believe that POR15 is the only really effective rust treatment available. Nothing else seems to work for long, the rust usually returns. As the rust on the top of mywheel arch was hidden, I did not over-coat the POR15. I gave a light spray of Halfords spray paint on the part shown as rusty on your first picture. It cost very little to repair, is not at all noticeable, and will probably outlast any repair done by an MB bodyshop.

Good luck.

OP
A

amclean

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
AMG C32
Thanks Alex for kind comments.

And thanks Duncan for advice, will keep you posted.

Alan

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom