2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/tw/paint.htm

This one is good on the dipping bit

Incidentally MB did not have much to do with the Nano paint spec or use, Nanotechnology is a huge company and MB asked for something that could be used on cars, aprox 70 cars were built using this process and MB test drove them to prove its use. There are many cars out there now that use this process

The only bit that caused confusion is, it is said that it should not be used for water applications , I am working on that bit

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nano paint for the after markt

Du point is working with nano paint for cars, the paint licensed from Ecology coatings is cured with ultra violet light at room temperature rather than the ovens used on the conventional car paints.

Once ultra violet light hits it, it becomes a sheet of plastic.

This is good news for those with Nano paint on their cars as it means a repair can be done keeping the same finish.

Thank you to xtractorfan for mentioning that there could be something coming.

The newest thing to come is also just around the corner, that is Nano paint that is self cleaning

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
Interesting but am I being cynical in thinking that the last thing car companys want is such perfection; whether it be in terms of rust, paint finish or reliability. They're primary aim is to outsell their main competitor and return a profit for their shareholders. If they can do this with the least effort that's what they will do. Mercedes was not always like this but ever since the 190 and the decision to chase high volume sales this is what has happened. It seems to me that the rust issue can be ignored if it does not affect the first purchaser of the vehicle, its only a worry to the 2nd 3rd of 4th owner of the car and they are not too worried about them. What can be embarrassing though is the JD Power type of survey, reputations are hard earned and as we have seen easily lost. Are Mercedes intent on replacing a reputation for quality with a one of delivering gadgetry dressed up as inovation???

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Mercedes was not always like this but ever since the 190 and the decision to chase high volume sales this is what has happened.

Feasible argument, but the 190, their first volume car (and possible saviour) was not inferior in any way. Well, if not over engineered, sophisticated rear suspension and not prone to rusting - there are still many on the road and they represent excellent value.

Something else happened after the 201/124/129 era.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Well were nearly back to a rusting 2007 ML

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Feasible argument, but the 190, their first volume car (and possible saviour) was not inferior in any way. Well, if not over engineered, sophisticated rear suspension and not prone to rusting - there are still many on the road and they represent excellent value.

I was not intending to diminish the 190 in anyway at all. It was and still is a fine vehicle, far superior to its main rival the 3 series. What has gone wrong, is with its succesors, to a point where the c class has been scarcely superior to a Ford Mondeo. The point I was making was that in pursuit of volume sales, the accountant will nearly always overule the engineer.;)

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

I was not intending to diminish the 190 in anyway at all. It was and still is a fine vehicle, far superior to its main rival the 3 series. What has gone wrong, is with its succesors, to a point where the c class has been scarcely better than a Ford Mondeo. The point I was making was that in pursuit of volume sales, the accountant will nearly always overule the engineer.;)

bill sparnon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 mercedes e class 2.2 saloon diesel automatic and w211 2006 e 280 saloon 190 diesel
this is very worring. I can live with a bit or rust on my ten year old 3 class saloon, 2000 reg, w 210 but i would not dare invest lots of money in a newer MB if they rust, that should have been sorted years ago. Makes me thing not to replace my car for a lot longer. bill

Mr Teddy Bear

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1998 W208 CLK 230K SPORT: MG F 1.8VVC: Flame Red Rover 216GTi
Very sensible thinking Bill! the drive train is capable of seriously high mileages if maintained correctly so if you've a good one then keep it and never take it to MB Taunton [among other dodgy garages]:D

prwales

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Was there a change in steel supplier in the early-mid 1990's? Early 124's seem to suffer little from rust but later facelifted "E" models seem quite badly afflicted along with Vito's and the 210. Did Mercedes switch to a Russian supplier like Fiats and Lancia two decades earlier?:)

st4

Banned
Reaction score
Website
1-stephen-taylor.artistwebsites.com
Your Mercedes
Disqualified driver
Was there a change in steel supplier in the early-mid 1990's? Early 124's seem to suffer little from rust but later facelifted "E" models seem quite badly afflicted along with Vito's and the 210. Did Mercedes switch to a Russian supplier like Fiats and Lancia two decades earlier?:)

Close, a source in the trade told me Polish steel.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
It's nothing to do with the steel stock, it's poor stamping and paint prep cause the problems.

Cars rusting due to poor steel is and always has been a myth. If you coat steel properly it wont rust because it cant as there is no oxygen present.

wemorgan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 SLK 250CDI
I've worked in a Tier 1 where steel is purchased on the usual quality-price-performance. Of all the suppliers we had the quality was the same as they were all required to meet the same OEM standards in salt spray tests etc. So in short the only difference was performance (yield, ultimate tensile strength, elongation) and how much they charged for it.

Suppliers may have changed post-W124 and I can only speculate as to why, but car geometry has moved on to a new level since then (for better for worse). So steel needs to be cold pressed, hot pressed, roll-formed, hydroformed, stretch bent and any number of forming operations in order to meet the functional requirement. All this requires new steel grades.

bill sparnon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2000 mercedes e class 2.2 saloon diesel automatic and w211 2006 e 280 saloon 190 diesel
good advice, although in garage at the moment, suddenly loses power when placed under load, mechanic and I not sure what the problem is, fuel rail pressure fault code coming up,got all 4 injectors out for a service, if that fails guess the hunt is on for leaking o rings and the like, anyone got any experience of this problem please. dashboard brings up warning EPC and engine shuts down, no restart for 20 seconds or so, bit of a worry really. bill

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Blocked fuel filter or leaking pressure regulator valve.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom