Rusty mercedes cars

ambrazul

Reaction score
I need help from all forum members with this problem. I have started a Court Case against Mercedes Benz claiming MB negligence re my paintwork. Obviously very important for everyone with rust if I win. I need evidence of as many cases as possible where MB agreed to undertake rust repairs or make a contribution to such repairs outside the 3 year warranty period. If you could supply as much info as possible including name,address, model, age of car when repairs were conducted etc etc I would much appreciate it. Clearly I will update after case which should happen this year. Wish me luck!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
You should not be short of help on this, we have loads of post on it

Developer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212 E63 S 5.5 biturbo
You should not be short of help on this, we have loads of post on it

On this forum there's only one four letter word and it doesn't begin with F.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
If you take them to court they will pay up just before the case reaches the court, which means that there will be no precedent set for others to follow..

brianbrian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w124 250D, SL129-deisel
If you take them to court they will pay up just before the case reaches the court, which means that there will be no precedent set for others to follow..

Also you try getting back the expence it cost you, car dealers no this, they pay up an hour before the case and your left with a hefty bill. Hope this helps

kth286

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 Coupe 95
Also you try getting back the expence it cost you, car dealers no this, they pay up an hour before the case and your left with a hefty bill. Hope this helps

so he does not settle for anything less than the bill AND his expenses, because if he won in court, it's what he would get.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I need help from all forum members with this problem. I have started a Court Case against Mercedes Benz claiming MB negligence re my paintwork. Obviously very important for everyone with rust if I win. I need evidence of as many cases as possible where MB agreed to undertake rust repairs or make a contribution to such repairs outside the 3 year warranty period. If you could supply as much info as possible including name,address, model, age of car when repairs were conducted etc etc I would much appreciate it. Clearly I will update after case which should happen this year. Wish me luck!!!

I wish you every success although I would think very carefully about the the relative costs that you are likely to sustain even if you were to achieve an unconditional victory. Going to Court or even the Courtroom door is expensive even for a ''win''. It will almost certainly be cheaper to take the pragmatic view and spend your money on remedial work on the car rather than on litigation.

You have started litigation so you will be aware of what I have just advised and I therefore assume that money is not of the essence and you are seeking to make a point.....as others I do not think it will be easy to get MB UK through the Courtroom door.

Nonetheless I can advise that when my SL500 was approximately 6.5yrs. old MB UK paid to have my wheel arch corrosion addressed at no cost to myself. This was of course done under the ''banner'' of goodwill with the car being outside the terms of the three years warranty. There was no reference to Mobilo Life (the terms for which the car fulfilled other than the ''inside out'' arguments) nor indeed was there any specific reference to my car having effectively failed any reasonable test of consumer expectation. However such issues were of no matter to me because if my car was being fixed I did not care what was MB UK's justification to fund the remediation.

I have three years warranty for the work done which runs from 04.03.10

Mic

Last edited:

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)

I admire your initiative - if we were in the USA I think this would be scope for a "Class action"!

My own experience was pain free, although it meant I was minded to sell a car which was faultless mechanically because it had started to rust. I now know that I was not alone and I am glad I acted decisively at the time.

I late 2006 I discovered rust around the boot lock of a MY 2000 W 202 C Class Sport Estate. MB of Stratford upon Avon (who had sold me the car 4 years previously) photographed the problem, obtained authorization and remedied the problem. I believe they replaced the rear door. There was absolutely no quibble (6 year old car).

In about April of 2007, some corrosion appeared around the front wheel arches - same procedure, but I decided to sell the car and moved it on in exchange for a pre-registered W 203 (which has been faultless). Again, MB authorized the repair on tat 7 year old car without quibble.

If you need any more data on name/address, etc, please PM me or send an e-mail.

Gary Hanson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Jag. Jags are my favourite.
A lot of people have had this happen when taking legal action against banks and credit card companies. You can apply to the court for a wasted costs order if you can convince the judge that the defendant has abused the court process, ie by letting you prepare your case ready for court, only to agree a settlement in the waiting room before the case is heard, or by not turning up and allowing a judgment to be entered against them.

Costs have been traditionally used by the court to express disapproval of a party who has not litigated reasonably

More here - http://www.consumerwiki.co.uk/index.php/Wasted_Costs

papahills

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E/1999/320
Pleased to hear a Court case is in the pipeline. I am contemplating one myself unless I get some satisfaction from MB. I have a 1999 E320 which is in showroom condition apart from rust on wings, boot lid, door tops and probably elsewhere. The vehicle has covered just 60,000 miles and has a proper service record. I was encouraged by MB to take the car to MB dealership for inspection after providing unambiguous details of the car's history and rust problems. I am the owner from new. After inspection and 2 hours of my time MB said no help with repairs. Very kindly the dealership sent me a quotation for the repairs - £7000 and not even a fixed price ! Repairs would entail actually replacing 3 wings and boot lid. What more evidence does one require to realise the car was defective when sold with poor steel and paintwork? I await a reply from MB to the questions I posed namely why has my car rusted and why did they send me to a dealership knowing all details of my car only to tell me no support for repairs was available ?

OP
A

ambrazul

Reaction score
Court Case

Interestingly I am suing MB in the small claims court so the cost is really low. I am doing this really out of the principle that they know they were negligent and they are doing nothing to redress their customers legitimate concerns. If people could provide cases it would really help if I win then everyone can jump on the bandwagon. Interestingly their defence is that I am out of time that is correct re contract law but not under the tort of negligence and inherent defects.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Interestingly I am suing MB in the small claims court so the cost is really low. I am doing this really out of the principle that they know they were negligent and they are doing nothing to redress their customers legitimate concerns. If people could provide cases it would really help if I win then everyone can jump on the bandwagon. Interestingly their defence is that I am out of time that is correct re contract law but not under the tort of negligence and inherent defects.

It would be interesting to test their use of the "Statute of Limitations" against the 30 year "warranty" they offer on corrosion.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
It would be interesting to test their use of the "Statute of Limitations" against the 30 year "warranty" they offer on corrosion.
You mean 'Inside-out corrosion penetration' Guarantee.

Sorry to be pedantic, but in law it's significant.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You mean 'Inside-out corrosion penetration' Guarantee.

Sorry to be pedantic, but in law it's significant.

Could not agree more - but has anyone yet found a case of such "inside/out" penetration?

I would have thought that the corrosion which starts under the accumulated mud on the inside of the wheel arch might be a good place to start - and there should be no shortage of examples.

dieselman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A diesel
Could not agree more - but has anyone yet found a case of such "inside/out" penetration?
No, which is why Mercedes aren't paying out under the terms of the Mobilo-Life corrosion guarantee.
The car will be a total shed before it suffers inside out rust, with no external influence.

I would have thought that the corrosion which starts under the accumulated mud on the inside of the wheel arch might be a good place to start - and there should be no shortage of examples.

They don't rust there due to the structural arch panels being galvanised and protected by plastic liners.

merc300e

Reaction score
rusty slk - no help from MB

I have a '52 plate slk. It has a rust hole in the front wing. ( where they all go just forward of the front wheelarch ) While in MB for a service ( Full MB SH ) in April '10 they got the 'bodyshop to look at this. The got me to take it to their bodyshop the next week for photographs etc to send to MB. I heard no more for some time, then excuses, then at end of August I was told they had not sent in the photos but had lost them They came to my house to take more but told me as of Sept 1st 2010 MB were changing the system. My car was 8 years old on 1st Sept so had reached the limit of their rust 'goodwill'. MB phoned me to say I was beyond the goodwill. I explained the delay but no joy. I have heard that if you claim MB will quote say £3000 and offer you £2000 for work which you could get done for £500 and they effectively are contributing nothing. Not sure if this is true. I should have had the work done at my own cost in April rather than drive a car for 5 months with a rusty hole in the wing. I am going back to Lexus.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
My first car rusted...33 years ago. Then rust stopped being an issue...until I bought my present car. Even the rust is rusting.

HERBIEMERCMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97. E300.TD. 7 SEAT.ELEGANCE. EST.TOYOTA SUPRA MK4. RS. VAUX. CORSA.GLS AUTO. SPORT.
i love my merc rust and all. BUT the amount of rustproofing i have done, waxoil everywhere, finigans epoxy under all door seals, etc, etc. BUT it is very difficult to keep on top of it. MB have sunk many ships "for a coat of tar". BUT why should they care ? i keep saying this, the customers who buy their cars only keep them for a short time. these people would think waxoil is for peasent use only. good luck with the case anyway. herbiemercman.

kamalpatel12448

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C63 W204 (2008) and C240 W202 (1999)
This is very interesting and I had a similar instance on my W202 Saloon Front Wing and they said no, yes, many weeks later, no and they paid up in "good will". I think in papahills case you have an excellent case of winning as you have a full history with MB and they should pick this is up with the 30 Anit-Corrosion Warranty part of Mobilo Life. The dealer I used was London/Colindale - saddening to see service like that.

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom