S-class w221 keyless car opens when locked from the outside

OP
F

firestormxtreme

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 s320
I have the same locks on my car, and there are some 16 updates.

Just spoken to my friend who had a 221 new, we had to have 3 new locks fitted while under guarantee.

I called mercedes to ask them what the issue could be and they acted as if this was the first time they heard of an issue with the locks.

I hate it when dealers pretend theres nothing wrong with thier cars had the same issue with nissan

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I called mercedes to ask them what the issue could be and they acted as if this was the first time they heard of an issue with the locks.

I hate it when dealers pretend theres nothing wrong with thier cars had the same issue with nissan

To be fair, they probably had loads when they came out. I think its easier to miss on a keyless car, of which there aren't a huge number.

Protocol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi
Is it possiblle that the keyless go system needs resetting on a Star machine?

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Is it possiblle that the keyless go system needs resetting on a Star machine?

Not likely, the problem will most certainly still occur with the key remote as well.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I fail to see how the buttons can go down, but the doors are not locked,, I have never heard of this one. the worst is I cannot see how this can be the way it is.

Did all of them stop at the same time

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I fail to see how the buttons can go down, but the doors are not locked,, I have never heard of this one. the worst is I cannot see how this can be the way it is.

That is why I wondered if the door cards had been off.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That is why I wondered if the door cards had been off.

I just do not know on this, I suppose if you lock the car via the remote you would have no cause to suspect its still open.

The locks for my CL are £725 each

Last edited:
OP
F

firestormxtreme

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 s320

I think i bought the car like this, its not something i thought to check when i was looking at it. Its got full main dealer history and no record of locks being changed so im assuming the previous owner never noticed because you wouldnt expect it to open when the latch is down and with the keyless system everytime you touch the handles the latch pops up so it dosent look as if something is wrong.

I was hoping someone else would have had the same issue and it turned out to be an easy fix as i noticed a lot of people having to lubricate thier locks.

The car also has soft close if that is something else that could be causing an issue

Protocol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350cdi
I can only surmise that someone did a fix on it before selling it on..Do the doors lock using the interior dash lock button?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think i bought the car like this, its not something i thought to check when i was looking at it. Its got full main dealer history and no record of locks being changed so im assuming the previous owner never noticed because you wouldnt expect it to open when the latch is down and with the keyless system everytime you touch the handles the latch pops up so it dosent look as if something is wrong.

I was hoping someone else would have had the same issue and it turned out to be an easy fix as i noticed a lot of people having to lubricate thier locks.

The car also has soft close if that is something else that could be causing an issue

I do agree with you on this, the only time you would know if you went out, but forgot the key. Having the soft close is the most expensive option, when I inquired 4 years ago some £700 each. There are some adjustments in these door locks, but I do not know if setting the micro switches will solve this, its as though something has broken the couples the outside handle, but all 4 to fail mystifies me.

barry jones

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016, LWB W222 AMG Line S-Class S350d - W415 Citan Van too :)
I have an issue on my 2010 which has keyless entry & soft close. Mine opens and locks fine (and stays locked when the key isn't within range - and tells you on the dash if the key has been left in the car too) on 3 doors but not on the rear passenger side door. This door locks fine, soft closers all work but doesn't open or lock from the handle.

Not a major issue but I noticed it the other day when trying to get something out of the back of the car on that side.... nothing shows up on STAR either which is weird....

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Handle at fault by the look of it, circuit 15 must be OK or the others would not work.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
when my autel kit does diagnostics its shows each door having its own module to control things, so I guess that should come up as a std check within Star diagnostics. Surprised it wouldn't show a fault there.

I have soft close but not keyless so can't offer anything on how mine behaves

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom