s202 c280 fuel leak

vlt290

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w202 c280 elegance 97 w220 s430 99
hi there sorry if this has ben raised before but im really struggling to find help
my c280 has just started to leak fuel when the engine is turned off,i have checked the pumps and filter and they are ok the fuel seems to be leaking from a pipe at the top of the tank situated in the middle of the car width
i am struggling to find any info on c class estate fuel tanks and leaks as i believe they are different to the saloon
any help or advice would be much appreciated as in how a repair could be done ,does tank need to come out and if so how

many thanks

ian

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Is it a leak under the car? The fuel senders could be the problem

OP
V

vlt290

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
leak

hi there thanks for quick reply
it is coming from under the car but above the fuel pump and filter i can get my hand up the side of the tank and feel the pipes they are metal

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
The lines have perished and need replacing if this is the case. Not the fuel senders. You need to raise the back of the car and look underneath (wearing eye protection, fuel stings if it gets in your eyes).

Last edited:

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Out of interest has the fuel filter been replaced at all?

OP
V

vlt290

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
not been replaced since i have had the car im the past few years
if the pipes are perished do i ned to drop the tank?

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
No, dont drop any tank anywhere. The only thing that has possibly gone is the line that goes from the fuel pump to the fuel filter. You will need to jack the car up at the back or have it backed onto ramps and then the fuel filter is near the offside (driver side) rear wheel. You will need to check under here as without looking at your car I cant tell you what is leaking in this area. You will need to prise the nut holding the filter free, sometimes the filter corrodes and is stuck fast so will need some persuasion and penetrating fluid to remove it. Be careful as some fuel may flow out when the filter is released. Dont drop the tank.

OP
V

vlt290

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
hi it leaks when the tank has virtually no fuel in and seems to be pouring down from the top area of tank

NW_Merc

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes W202
Without seeing it, it cant be diagnosed properly. I'd get it to an indy who can give you a definitive answer.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom