s211 E320cdi - ages to warm up

IceBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI - W220-2005
Hi All,

The above car (53-reg) is taking ages to warm up!

Probably have to drive 10 miles to get up to 85 degrees.

The thermostat is new (2 months).

Is this normal, as the fuel consumption is shocking when cold.

IceBoy
:rolleyes:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
What is your average speed over those 10 miles?

In my old 203 it would take about 10 miles to get up to temp but that would be slow in town crawling. The diesel needs to be worked to get temperature in it.

OP
I

IceBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI - W220-2005
30-35mph over those 10 miles

So not just crawling around. 2 miles in traffic and then 8 miles on A-roads.

IceBoy

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
sounds normal to me, i replaced my thermostat about 4 months ago now and on these early cold mornings by the time i get to work (12.6 miles away) on mainly a roads doing an average of 52mph, the car is only just up to temp.

Spannaz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Kia Sedona 08
this is normal i am happy to report. However, you can easily block off the entire radiator and this will speed up the warm up period, and does not cause the car to over heat! I blocked mine off and has been like this for some time. Air can still flow around the condenser etc, its just blocked off directly in front of radiator. Worth trying and see if this helps. I have the issue where the first 3 miles are at a maximum 40mph (cameras) then dual carriageways. Then motorway! All that nice cold air slows down the warm up period and can increase engine wear, which is never a good thing!

OP
I

IceBoy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S320 CDI - W220-2005
OK, I'm going to block part of the radiator off and report back next week.
IceBoy

Cardinal Biggles

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 (09) W219; C220D (07) W204
My 320i (in a CLS though) is much quicker than that. Certainly less than a mile and Im getting warm air out of the car vents.... another gentle mile after that and the engine feels looser and ready to rock and roll.

Do you have a yellow engine warning light staying on in your instrument cluster after you start? A duff glow plug would inhibit warming up, esp in this cold weather........

Last edited:

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
My 320i (in a CLS though) is much quicker than that. Certainly less than a mile and Im getting warm air out of the car vents.... another gentle mile after that and the engine feels looser and ready to rock and roll.

Do you have a yellow engine warning light staying on in your instrument cluster after you start? A duff glow plug would inhibit warming up, esp in this cold weather........

Warm air out of the vents isn't an indicator of engine temp as you will have a heater booster (electric) to help warm the incoming air.

On the CDI the glow plugs are really only there to help reduce emissions. The CDI can start and run perfectly well without glow plugs even in sub-zero temps.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom