S211 steering 'groan'.

Pathfinder

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLC 220 CDi Sport Diesel Year 2008
I don't think you would be able to the grease into the bearing that way, if I remember correctly, it has a seal.

SteveX

Reaction score
Yup, you are spot on, but the bearings normally don't make a noticeable noise, you will just feel a slight notch, and it's hard to feel that in the steering, normally to feel the notch in a bearing you would have to lift the front of the car and gently rock the actual wheel / tyre with your hands to feel for it.

It's the rubber between the top cap and bearing that normally makes a dry rubber creaking sound if it is worn and dry.

OP, take a look at this 'how to' I did on 911 uk, about half way down the pictures you will see what the top cap assembly and mount looks like on a macpherson, as well as the bearing assembly, it's the same design for all of that type:

http://www.911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=61937

The rubber mount goes between the cap and bearing, these can creak when dry and worn or out of place when steering.

My suggestion was mearly to try and get some spray grease to penetrate under the top cap and from underneath to lube this area, just rock the steering and spray to try and eliminate the noise, or that as a potential problem.

Cheers,

Last edited:
OP
Corned

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Well, today's update goes as follows.

N.F.F.F!!!

The car behaved itself impeccably throughout the test drive (in which I was a passenger). Jay's technician took the car round for nearly an hour, going over all sorts of potholes, speed bumps, corners, mini roundabouts, but not a peep from the damn car. I heard a little creak on the way to them, but nothing major.

Back at the garage, with the car up on the lift, the suspension/steering was subject to all manner of prying, jemmying, turning, etc, but given a completely clean bill of health. In fact, Reg the technician said he thought it was an unusually well-sorted car - apparently they aren't usually anywhere near as good as mine! That was reassuring and infuriating in equal measure!

The drivebelt was changed and I noticed that the PAS reservoir had coughed up some fluid - there was a leak on the top of the reservoir. So we all think air is in the system, which might explain the creaking and rubbery sensations. I will have the undertrays off soon just to see if there are any leaks in the pipework as there is nothing on the drive.

Apart from that, I don't know what to say. Other than thanks to Jay again, and his guys, who have done a good job and spent some time on the car, and charged a very reasonable amount for the time they have put into it.

I'm going to take the car to a car park and do a few slow circuits on full lock in each direction to work the PAS system fully, and then check the reservoir level.

After that, I'll stop worrying about it and get on with life, safe in the knowledge that the suspension and all its components are in rude health!

OP
Corned

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Quick postscript to this tale:

The slight knock has returned on the odd occasion over the last two days. As every joint and bush was pryed and found to be secure, it only leaves the ARB drop links, doesn't it?

Unless there is actually something under the floor which is loose, but I haven't found anything which fits that bill. I might just get them replaced at the next service, just to rule them out if nothing else.

Incidentally, the guys at Jay's noticed that the central lifting support under the front crossmember was missing from the car. The location shows no signs of the thing having recently departed, so it has obviously been missing for a considerable amount of time. They say it is common for these to do a disappearing act.

But it is worth getting a replacement, do you think?

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom