S213 Creak/Clunk from Rear (Accelerating/Bumps)

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Hi all,

Hoping to get some advice for a recent issue that's popped it's head. When I accelerate or go over speed bumps, I get a medium creak from the rear of the estate. It sounds like it is coming from the Offside Rear. It's not all the time, but it is appearing more and more.

I've just had some new rear shocks put in (as they car was rattling over bumps) and that hasn't cured the sound.

I'm thinking that it could be one of many joints/bushes. I've seen some comment on the lower bush. Fronts went at 45k, so now on 57k and rear could be on it's way out.

Thanks, Jan

Benz Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213
Have the same problem I guess, creaking sound from front left over speed humps but the mechanic I go to he can’t tell what joint is at fault and he told me to just leave it a bit more until it reveals

OP
Janchee

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Have the same problem I guess, creaking sound from front left over speed humps but the mechanic I go to he can’t tell what joint is at fault and he told me to just leave it a bit more until it reveals
I think from what you said, it will be your lower front control arm ball joint. Very very common to go. Does it squeak when you turn the wheel? Mine showed these symptoms as well.

Benz Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213
Oh my guy :)) it was long ago on the right side I thought it was the winter tires changed them with summer and did the same for a while but completely stopped since long ago, even forgot about it

Benz Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213
I have almost 110k done, I’m doing minicab and only changed the shock absorbers and the donut thing on the transmission

OP
Janchee

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Update:

MB have the car at the minute, and they've diagnosed the creaking as the lower control arms. The fronts went at 50k miles, now the rears at 57k miles which makes sense however, expected them to last longer.

They've quoted £517 to replace with parts, but I'll get the parts ordered and get a good indy to replace them.

Asked them to lubricate them for now, to see if it gets rid of the noise!

Benz Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213
Finally fixed my car, changed both front lower control arms, almost 400£.

OP
Janchee

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Finally fixed my car, changed both front lower control arms, almost 400£.
MB dealer do a set of them at least once every two days. Ball joints in them are … poor. Glad you got the car fixed.

Benz Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213
Thank you, it’s nice to feel like in a brand new car when driving.

Is that a lot of money ?

OP
Janchee

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
Thank you, it’s nice to feel like in a brand new car when driving.

Is that a lot of money ?
I think MB charge about £600 ish for the front two arms with 2 year warranty on them.

Benz Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W213
Oh ok :) don’t even know about warranty, changing the brake pads now another fun to do

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom