S213 E class estate buying advice

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d
Hi Guys

I am due to test drive a s213, tomorrow hopefully, and pending any booboos will be aiming to get it home. Its a 3yr old 55k miles on the clock but only 2 services done (an a and b service). Owner will put it through another A service - i think that was due at 45k miles as these cars tend to be serviced at 15k miles as opposed to the VAG groups 18k miles.

I presume the engine transmission oil must be due as well on this one - Audi's get it done every 40k miles.

Before test driving i'll pay particular attention to discs checking for lips and width of the break pads, chips on windscreens,sunroofs, tyre tread, side wall damage etc, look for any dings, scratches everywhere including inside, checking all the buttons/touch screen options work, making sure the widths between the panels are uniform, not sure how i'll check for any hairline cracks in alloys but i will try to spend good amount of time in good light just looking at them.

For the actual driving test, I'll be listening out for any unusual knocking noises or drones, checking if car pulls in one direction more than other, some harsh braking, some quick runs on the motorway probably both in auto and manual mode trying to keep the car in high revs for sometime. Not sure how much time the dealer will allow me with the car, presumably he wont just let me take the car on my own for half an hour drive.

Anyways, if there's something i've missed out please feel free to point and if there's anything in particular i need to know about s213/w213s then please let me know.

Many Thanks,

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Hello and welcome

Very nice car, worth a check to see if it will change into 9th at legal UK motorway speeds.

Also, not sure how good your deal is, but bear in mind you could have a brand new one for £30k - useful to know for negotiations

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Welcome

I am due to test drive a s213, tomorrow hopefully, and pending any booboos will be aiming to get it home. Its a 3yr old 55k miles on the clock but only 2 services done (an a and b service). Owner will put it through another A service - i think that was due at 45k miles as these cars tend to be serviced at 15k miles as opposed to the VAG groups 18k miles.

You can check what needs doing here, just put the vehicle details in:

https://www.mymercedesservice.co.uk/#/your-vehicle

I presume the engine transmission oil must be due as well on this one - Audi's get it done every 40k miles.

I think it is at 75k but i may be a bit high

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Also, not sure how good your deal is, but bear in mind you could have a brand new one for £30k - useful to know for negotiations

And there is a facelift just been released

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
10000 miles over recommended oil change intervals to me indicates a car that has not been looked after, but then again i change my oil every 5000 miles.

Would this missed service effect cars ability to be warrantied?

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
10000 miles over recommended oil change intervals to me indicates a car that has not been looked after, but then again i change my oil every 5000 miles.

It will be on standard yearly services, done under 20k a year with fully synthetic oil in so there shouldn't be a problem

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It will be on standard yearly services, done under 20k a year with fully synthetic oil in so there shouldn't be a problem
Maybe you are right, but if i was shelling out 20 odd grand on a high mileage car (for age) it would need to have been well maintained. There will be plenty of others that will have a perfect service history for approx the same price out there.

The OP also mentions that the car is from a dealer so you can be assured that the dealer would have bought the car at low trade price due to this factor.

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Maybe you are right, but if i was shelling out 20 odd grand on a high mileage car (for age) it would need to have been well maintained. There will be plenty of others that will have a perfect service history for approx the same price out there.

It will be under £20k, provided the correct service schedule has been followed I very much doubt there will be a problem, modern oils are designed to be used for longer.

Comparable car

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...=2017&year-from=2017&body-type=Estate&page=13

A mileage that high suggests a lot of motorway mileage so little stress on the engine

The OP also mentions that the car is from a dealer so you can be assured that the dealer would have bought the car at low trade price due to this factor.

The OP says "The Owner", no mention of a dealer. If it is from a dealer then it will have a full years warranty so there is peace of mind there

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Champak said:

"Not sure how much time the dealer will allow me with the car, presumably he wont just let me take the car on my own for half an hour drive."

Each to there own, sure you are probably correct JBell re: modern engine oils but just making OP aware. Get a good price from dealer is my message if you are buying it.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Champak said:

"Not sure how much time the dealer will allow me with the car, presumably he wont just let me take the car on my own for half an hour drive."

My bad, I read the second line "Owner will put it through another A service"

Get a good price from dealer is my message if you are buying it.

They represent excellent value particularly if they are pre the Road Tax top up

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
I don't think I would buy a car that had overshot a service by 10K miles... Modern oils or not.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I don't think I would buy a car that had overshot a service by 10K miles... Modern oils or not.

It is on "Mercedes Service ASSYST" Fixed Service intervals so 15k or 1 year whichever happens first so the OP needs to check it has been done on time and correctly. The dealer should provide printouts of the servicing carried out so far.

It is overdue for a service

OP
C

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d
Hello and welcome

Very nice car, worth a check to see if it will change into 9th at legal UK motorway speeds.

Deal isn't that great to be honest but I'm really struggling to find a car that's on £30 road tax and has the driver assistance package which is a must for me.. Usually I pick up my car's at BCA auctions and aim to save £3-£4k off the forecourt price. This car I let go at the auction, it went close to £22k... I'm hoping to do a deal at £23.5k but dealer (not MB, but independent)... Dealer is going to give it a mot and a service and take care of all the blemishes etc...

It's actually £2k more than I think the cars worth but I don't see many car with all the bells and whistles below £24k mark regardless of the mileage so am feeling a bit stuck...

If the car doesn't engage 9th at 70mph, is that an issue?

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
C

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d
And there is a facelift just been released
Yes, I like that grill... Unfortunately I can't put the buy off until they start to deliver the facelift so wont be able to take advantage of lower prices whenever that happens... Also worried about oncoming recession which might slow down sales of new cars and help firm up the prices of used cars

OP
C

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d

Would you recommend getting warranty for the car... With audi I was in two minds and then ended up saving in Audi pot instead of buying warranties.. worked out ok as I only needed to change one sensor over 75k miles of use - other than the regular wearables

OP
C

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d
That's good to know, thanks

OP
C

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d

Dealer was my competitor at the auction (hopefully he's not reading this forum) but to be honest I was out of the race as soon as bids went above £20.5k as the savings became very meagre compared to forecourt prices.. to my surprise it kept climbing up and up.... Unfortunately very few others around with all the bells and whistles...

OP
C

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d
It will be under £20k, provided the correct service schedule has been followed I very much doubt there will be a problem, modern oils are designed to be used for longer.

Comparable car

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classi...=2017&year-from=2017&body-type=Estate&page=13

A mileage that high suggests a lot of motorway mileage so little stress on the engine

The OP says "The Owner", no mention of a dealer. If it is from a dealer then it will have a full years warranty so there is peace of mind there
Sorry my bad.. it should be dealer in both the places, not owner...

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
If the car doesn't engage 9th at 70mph, is that an issue?
It means it will have had the latest software update which from threads on the forum means reduced fuel economy :(

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom