S213 E class estate buying advice

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
That is a shame

Why is the Drivers Assistance package a deal breaker???

The 50k miler is way overpriced IMO

As said in an earlier post - the driver assistance package isn’t that great. But then again, patience and one will appear :)

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The MB approved 12k miler would be my choice there is always a compromise. I bought my 4 series approved from a BM dealer at 5k miles but had to compromise on not having a sunroof but don’t regret it it was and still is on 9k miles like a new car

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
The MB approved 12k miler would be my choice there is always a compromise. I bought my 4 series approved from a BM dealer at 5k miles but had to compromise on not having a sunroof but don’t regret it it was and still is on 9k miles like a new car
No sunroof is a benefit... less likely of it leaking...

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
100% agree with this. Personally there is no way i would buy a car that has skipped a service by 10K mile, the oil will be like treacle.

js190d

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 w201 190d 2.5/ 2002 s210 320cdi avantgarde
No sunroof is a benefit... less likely of it leaking...
Must admit i am quite partial to a steel mechanical sunroof opened by a nice rotating handle in older mercedes.

OP
C

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d
That is a shame

Why is the Drivers Assistance package a deal breaker???

The 50k miler is way overpriced IMO
I do 35k miles a year.. depend on adaptive cruise to deal with all the peak time & rainy days stop-start **** on M25 and maintaining my distance from late brakers in the fast lane... Get to work without feeling half spent in the head from dealing with the traffic...

It's either that or moving home (swmbo has ruled out it) or an hour commute to London... For the time being happy to spend time in a nice car than paying more and standing for an hour in different trains and sometimes replacement buses...

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

OP
C

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d
As said in an earlier post - the driver assistance package isn’t that great. But then again, patience and one will appear :)
I've gotten used to them Jan Van Der Lubbe. Used Audi's A6 one heavily over last two years and Merc one is supposed to be the best in business, bar Tesla maybe..

Like you said, Patience seems to be paying off, 3 more cars appeared overnight on AT with adaptive cruise :)

Last edited:
OP
C

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d
Think my compromises are colour, inside trim and if it really comes down to it then engine mileage...

OP
C

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d
OP
C

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d
100% agree with this. Personally there is no way i would buy a car that has skipped a service by 10K mile, the oil will be like treacle.
Thanks for highlighting that, it does help to rejig priorities in the right order after hearing opinions with reasons/explanations....

I was making that compromise with a heavy heart and lots of prayers... Thankfully, I have more options now so wont have to follow that car anymore :)

Janchee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ex W213/2016/220D 190
I've gotten used to them Jan Van Der Lubbe. Used Audi's A6 one heavily over last two years and Merc one is supposed to be the best in business, bar Tesla maybe..

Like you said, Patience seems to be paying off, 3 more cars appeared overnight on AT with adaptive cruise :)

Fair enough! My perception is probably from driving at 6am when all the roads are clear

Only thing I have turned off is the auto cruise control set from traffic signs / GPS. You’ll set it at 70 and then all of a sudden it’ll get 50 mph from somewhere and start to apply the brakes This is probably from Old road works. Also, smart motorways don’t work ... yet.

It’s great in start/stop traffic however, I find that basing my speed on someone numpty in front is terrible. 8/10 they haven’t got their cruise on (or they’re on their phone) and the car is going from 70 to 75, to then 80 to then 60... I get fed up

Really do hope you find the right one as it is a stunning car. Can’t wait to get the Run Flats off mine!!!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Something to take into consideration with all radar based devices is that if car has any tracking done the radar/cameras will need recalibration or the car may not brake when it should

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Thanks J Bell (name reminds of Ian Bell, when England cricket team used to have a dependable middle order, but I digress)

I was going to say when it rains it pours (or something to that effect)
Found 3 with drivers assistance pack on Merc dealers used network, the second one in your recommendation being one of them.... Thanks... Happy days again :)

That second one does look nice (if you can cope with charcoal interior and a black car - dark, dark and darker...).

OP
C

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d
Something to take into consideration with all radar based devices is that if car has any tracking done the radar/cameras will need recalibration or the car may not brake when it should
Oh, that's an important thing to remember.. I didn't know that... Best get it all done at the dealer then...

barian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d
That is interesting. I know that windscreen changes or anything that might have disturbed the location of the radar sensors would give rise to this, but I wasn't aware that a tracking adjustment (presumably to bring settings back within tolerances) would be a problem. Can you explain, please?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
That is interesting. I know that windscreen changes or anything that might have disturbed the location of the radar sensors would give rise to this, but I wasn't aware that a tracking adjustment (presumably to bring settings back within tolerances) would be a problem. Can you explain, please?

I use a local tyre dealer with a hunter computer set-up for car geometry and any car equipped with radar/cameras that he adjusts (assuming it needs adjustment) he sends to a local recalibration centre. The reason for this is to cover his back (insurance) as there is a possibility that the radar may not function and apply the brakes when in autonomous mode. As my car has night vision and this needed recalibration after the tracking change he suggested I had this done which I declined, but had my car been fitted with radar I would have taken him up on it and had it done. Apparently there is a warehouse nearby set up for this purpose which he uses

barian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d
I use a local tyre dealer with a hunter computer set-up for car geometry and any car equipped with radar/cameras that he adjusts (assuming it needs adjustment) he sends to a local recalibration centre. The reason for this is to cover his back (insurance) as there is a possibility that the radar may not function and apply the brakes when in autonomous mode. As my car has night vision and this needed recalibration after the tracking change he suggested I had this done which I declined, but had my car been fitted with radar I would have taken him up on it and had it done. Apparently there is a warehouse nearby set up for this purpose which he uses
Thank you malcolm210 for that further information. I suppose that a tracking change could lead to the vehicle body (and hence any sensors) pointing in a slightly different direction relative to the direction of travel. It is surprising that the size of the change might be large enough to require a system recalibration, but one lives and learns. Thank you.

OP
C

Champak

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220d
Hi all, an update.. just as i was turning my attention to buying a volvo xc90 (as its right up there in terms of safety equipment and looks smart), I've ended up putting holding deposit on an e class...

Now its not white and it hasnt got the dark wood interior inside but its only done 19k miles, one previous owner and always serviced annually at the same merc dealer. Dec 17 registered and gentleman's agreement at £23k

I am going to test drive it tomorrow and can decide to not buy it without giving any reason.

It seems a fair enough deal, what do you guys think?

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
Hi all, an update.. just as i was turning my attention to buying a volvo xc90 (as its right up there in terms of safety equipment and looks smart), I've ended up putting holding deposit on an e class...

Now its not white and it hasnt got the dark wood interior inside but its only done 19k miles, one previous owner and always serviced annually at the same merc dealer. Dec 17 registered and gentleman's agreement at £23k

I am going to test drive it tomorrow and can decide to not buy it without giving any reason.

It seems a fair enough deal, what do you guys think?
You will use a lot less fuel in the E-class, I think! Hope you like it!

Top Bottom