S430 Window Regulator replacement

Ian Shepherd

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new member and this is my first post, so I hope it's in the right place...

The driver's door window regulator has just failed on my 1999 S430 (W220 chassis) - the motor is still happily whirring away but the regulator needs replacing as the drive cord has snapped.
I started to remove the door panel and then realised just how complicated this procedure could turn out to be. I'm usually pretty good at carrying out repairs on things like this but am a bit concerned that I could cause more problems (and more expense) by taking this on as a DIY project. I've been quoted about £200 to get this done at a local repair shop but as I'm getting the car ready to sell, this would bring the amount I have spent to nearly £1000, which is a bit steep!

I have read several comments from people that DIY replacement is possible but it would be handy to have some sort of guide to give me confidence. If anyone has any suggestions, they would be gratefully received.
Also, original Mercedes parts are very expensive - are there any good sources for replacement parts?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
This is not a 5 min job,

Will try and word this as easy as poss for you Ian!

To remove the door card, poppers all the way round the edge ot the card,

3 screws hidden under the trim above the electric seat buttons, that just pulls off! one screw behind the same seat controller, one behine the SRS plastic cover on the rear of the trim, one screw behind a cover on the slope of the door trim compartment!

You have to then drill out all the pop rivets holding the reg to the door, also drill out the rivets holding the bracket for the trim!

You need to have the glass down fully to undo the nuts for the window clamps, i just cut all the cables to make it that bit more easy!

Refitt the new one, and pop rivet back into the frame of the door, make sure the top hooks are correctly fitted into the top of the door from the new regulator!

Thats pretty much it, sorry for the write up, but its far from a easy job to type down!!

Welcome to the forums

OP
I

Ian Shepherd

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the information - that gives me something to work towards!

If anyone else sees this thread and has any thoughts about obtaining a window regulator, it would be really useful.

Thanks.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I can let you have the info for replacing it, and welcome to the forum

Dec

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W202
If anyone else sees this thread and has any thoughts about obtaining a window regulator,

I suggest that you remove the lifting mechanism and motor so as you can see what is broken and what is fixable or replaceable.

You can then prop/wedge up the glass from inside the door with lengths of wood cut to size, this will allow you to secure and drive the car and let you do the repair/replacement in your own time and takes the urgency out of doing the job.

Dec

OP
I

Ian Shepherd

Reaction score
Thanks - these are really fascinating forums to 'thumb' through. Remarkably, it's just about the first time I have used a Website to ask about a problem and now I can see just how useful they are! Out of interest, I have just found a site selling new regulators at £50 including delivery, which seems like a bit of a bargain against the £69 on Ebay or the £90-ish direct from Mercedes.

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
With an Email address I can send you the info

OP
I

Ian Shepherd

Reaction score
S-Class Window Regulator

With an Email address I can send you the info

Hi there...!

Your information would be really useful as I'm about to order the part (it's supposed to be sunny for the next 4 or 5 days so hopefully I should be able to get it fitted without getting drenched!)

Email: ian_d_shepherd@hotmail.com

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have sent it :D:D

You are of coarse joking about the rain :(

OP
I

Ian Shepherd

Reaction score
One final (hopefully) question....

Hi all you wonderful helpful people out there...!

Well, I've got my regulator and the door panel is almost off. All of the instructions I have seen talk about moving the panel back and forth and then lifting upwards to remove it completely. However, there is never a mention of how to detach the cable link to the door mechanism (and that's something I definitely don't want to damage in the process!) Also, the window is stuck in the closed position and I have no idea how to get the glass down, as this seems to be the only way to lift the panel upwards. Any ideas?

Thanks
Ian

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The door handle rod just prises out of its clip and unhooks.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Cut the cables that you can see and that will release the window!!

OP
I

Ian Shepherd

Reaction score
Helllllllllp!

I propped up the window glass and drilled out the rivets, the instructions then talk casually about unhooking the regulator assembly and 'dropping it out" but no amount of tugging, pulling or heaving seems to have any effect on it. I'm dripping with perspiration and typing with black hands (and beginning to think that the additional £130 to have it replaced would have been money well spent!).

Also, it's a bit worrying to discover that the motor assembly is held in with a Torx type screw that will mean getting hold of a suitable driver...the list of problems goes on and on!!

Any help gratefully received..I'm having an hours break now as the sun is getting too hot and a coffee might just perk me up.

Thanks
Ian

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Think of the joy when it is all done,,you can say " I fixed that"

its a wonderful feeling

OP
I

Ian Shepherd

Reaction score
The further adventures of.....

I hoped the previous post was going to be the last one, however, hopefully THIS ONE is going to be the very last post on this subject. The new regulator is in and I was very excited about getting everything re-assembled to try it out when I realised that the internal drivers door-pull now hangs loose and I can't see any means of adjusting it.

The door panel is in place correctly and the hook that attaches the door-pull to the door release mechanism is not taut any more - the handle now 'hangs loose' inside the car instead of being sprung in position. I can't see any reason why the cable should have stretched as it was working perfectly before.

Has anyone else had this problem? Is it something subtle I have overlooked?

Thanks

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Pull the outer cable back from the inside handle and slip the outer cable into the grove on the indide of the door trim!

OP
I

Ian Shepherd

Reaction score
and finally...

To anyone reading this series of posts with a view to replacing their window regulator, I would say that (as a novice) this has been the most challenging procedure I have carried out on a car (and that comes from someone who has spent many years working with and assembling electronic/mechanical equipment). Although it is satisfying to have completed this task successfully, I don't think I would suggest that anyone took it on just for the sake of it.

I did it as I'm setting up in business and am being forced to sell my LPG converted S-430 whilst making all the savings I can!

The costs involved were as follows:
£69 for the regulator (ebay inc. postage)
£2.50 for a riveting set
£2.00 for the appropriate Torx (or should that be Torq?) drivers

Total = £73.50

This compares with about £200 including labour and VAT quoted by two local workshops (I would imagine that a Mercedes dealership would charge a great deal more..!)

I found a regulator that seemed cheaper on a couple of Websites but was doubtful about delivery times. The Ebay part was ordered on Thursday afternoon and arrived Saturday morning, which was a real boon.

It took about 4 hours in total. If that sounds like a ridiculously long time, it's because the instructions I had were quite sketchy and I made some assumptions that turned out to be incorrect. The door panel is a hassle to repeatedly remove and replace when making adjustments (of course, no hassle at all if you are lucky enough to be working in a garage).

The age of my car (1999) made this procedure more awkward as some of the screws were corroded in place and took a lot of effort to remove. It's a process that involves a lot of scrapes and scratches, as well as having to crouch (or preferably sit, as I did) in an awkward position. It's generally accepted that modern cars were designed to be produced on an assembly line, NOT to be repaired - the window regulator demonstrates this very well indeed!

If you decide to have a go, make sure you have everything you need to hand as it's a real drag to discover that you are lacking a particular tool. It's important that you have a couple of bits of wood cut to length to prop the glass in place. If like me you have to work outdoors, try to predict the weather as best you can - I had to contend with very hot sun and rain in equal measure (which was not much fun). With all these procedures, a digital camera allows you to record socket and cable positions without recourse to paper and pencil. When you try to remove the door panel, it really does just lift off after removing all of the securing screws. You will have to waggle and bash it as it will very likely be stuck on the top edge of the door frame. As a final thought, if your car spends a lot of time outdoors, it's worth cleaning the rubber strips around the windows as they will get very dirty and can even gather moss over time.

Finally...good luck!

Last edited:

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom