S600L V12 - how rare?

grayb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI (S212) 2010
There is an immaculate W140 98/S S600l V12 in the garage next door to my office - only 40K on the clock. It's in for MOT and check over and other than a slight misfire occaisionallly it looks wonderful (if you like large, square jawed limos!).

It got me thinking - how much do they go for? Only one problem - I can't see any for sale anywhere...

So, the question is - does anyone know how many were sold in the UK?

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
This has come up before. if you search this forum you should find the answer to number imported to Uk. Look on ebay for several examples, they don't cost much to buy, but as Jez says you must make sure that everything works. They are very complex machines and very expensive to fix if they go wrong.

Last edited:

JEZ.S320L

Reaction score
Website
www.latorreonline.es
Your Mercedes
Lincoln Navigator and a S320L Business Edition
There is an immaculate W140 98/S S600l V12 in the garage next door to my office - only 40K on the clock. It's in for MOT and check over and other than a slight misfire occaisionallly it looks wonderful (if you like large, square jawed limos!).

It got me thinking - how much do they go for? Only one problem - I can't see any for sale anywhere...

So, the question is - does anyone know how many were sold in the UK?

As a VERY proud owner of an S320L, I would recommend the W140 as a superb example of Mercedes over-engineering. My understanding, is that is was one of - if not THE - last model built 'at any cost'. That is before the 'bean-counters' stepped in and decreed that the next variant comply with actually making a profit!

When looking for a W140 (thanks to the advice given on this Forum), I considered both the 500 and the 600 (not many of those about). My heart wanted BIG - but my head ruled and I found the one I have (Business Edition).

If you do decide on a W140, I guess the best advice I can give, is to make sure that EVERYTHING electrical and mechanical works. Thanks to Uncle Benz (Forum Member), everything that should work, now does work!!

In March, I drove from Bilbao to home (Spain) - approx 570miles - in a driving time of around 6 hours. I must say, it one one of the most relaxing and enjoyable drives I have ever had. Wafting along, CD playing and barely a sound to be heard from outside, save for the gentle rumble of the tyres on some concrete sections of the Autovia. Magic, absolute magic!!

Last week, I took it for the ITV (super-MOT) in preparation for transfering to Spanish plates. Needless to say, it passed with flying colours, with the engineer/mechanic who tested it, remarking that the car was "Perfecto"!

Not bad for an 11 year old car!!

Uncle Benz - thanks!!!

Richard Moakes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500; ML500
and other than a slight misfire occaisionallly it looks wonderful (if you like large, square jawed limos!).

There is no such thing as a slight misfire on a V12.

That misfire could be VERY expensive to fix, wiring looms, throttle actuator, air mass sensor etc....

I would love a V12 R129 or W140, but I have read too many horror stories. :shock:

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Hi,
Choice betweent he 600 V12 and the 500 V8, I would always go for the V8, as Richard says that misfire could potentially cost thousands to diagnose and rectify.

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
Great cars but the V12 wasnt the best engine MB ever made, star diags would find the fault, coil packs (12) could be one reason of the seller thought it might be a good idea to power wash the engine and as a result there is water in the plug holes, seen many times.

Could be a simple fix or it could cost a huge amount especially if the heads have to come off.

The 5.0 V8 is a better engine.

jib

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom