S65 722.6 gearbox issue?

OP
H

hoppo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cl500
I'm happy to meet you anywhere I wouldn't expect you to travel that far. Just let me know

Oddly the 3 to4 change is much better but not right worse when on no load at say 35 40 and you just touch the peddle to speed up.

The dip stick I have says it's full. Having changed all the bits I had to put back just short of 5L and that's about what came out.

When it drops gear it normal is on a 3to4 or 4to3 shift. But I don't get any slipping.

The other thing it's started doing is when slowing to a stop it feels like some one is dipping the clutch and then letting it out again as it loses engine braking then comes back.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
I'm happy to meet you anywhere I wouldn't expect you to travel that far. Just let me know

Oddly the 3 to4 change is much better but not right worse when on no load at say 35 40 and you just touch the peddle to speed up.

The dip stick I have says it's full. Having changed all the bits I had to put back just short of 5L and that's about what came out.

When it drops gear it normal is on a 3to4 or 4to3 shift. But I don't get any slipping.

The other thing it's started doing is when slowing to a stop it feels like some one is dipping the clutch and then letting it out again as it loses engine braking then comes back.

Does the dipstick you have, have a plastic tip?

Sounds like low fluid.... Although 5l with a conductor plate and filter doesn't sound far off

If you accelerate whilst its dropped into neutral, does it snatch back into gear?

Last edited:
OP
H

hoppo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cl500
No it just revs then either you have to stop or it just goes back into either 4 or 3.

Yes the dip stick has a plastic end bit it is hard to get a very accurate reading.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
my range rover box takes 6.5 ltrs , its only a 5 speed , is 5 ltrs really enough Alex ?

Well WIS does say 6.5L which rings a bell, so 5 maybe be a fair bit short! The TC holds roughly 1.5/2L so I would say its probably just low on oil!

I feel like the smaller NAG boxes have a lower capacity.....

Hoppo - If you push hard enough you can go past the dentent and get a false high reading. Just insert it to the natural limit.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
low fluid would go along way to explaining the issue the OP has Alex , what if he added say , another 3/4 ltr then tried it see if there is any difference ?

OP
H

hoppo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cl500
I'm happy to chuck some more in and see but I can't understand how it could be caused by low fluid. As if failed suddenly and then after replacing parts is exactly the same.

I'll band some more in tomorrow and see can always suck it out

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
because auto boxes work on pressure transfer so if there isn't enough fluid to put pressure on then it wont change gear correctly

OP
H

hoppo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cl500
I understand that much but if I had no leaks and it was fine untill a sudden gear drop and then has been the same since. Unless it lost fluid I can't see it being the problem.

But I'm happy to try.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I understand that much but if I had no leaks and it was fine untill a sudden gear drop and then has been the same since. Unless it lost fluid I can't see it being the problem.

But I'm happy to try.

I do see what you mean, as you had the same problem before and after a fluid change, with no apparent leak. The oil has to go somewhere...

The only place it can leak, and you not see it, is into the engine coolant, or into the wiring, which you have checked.

OP
H

hoppo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cl500
I checked the car this morning. Stone cold. Running in park and it was a touch low. I've topped it up and it's still the same

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It does seem like a mechanical fault if the level is right.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
auto box always check when hot

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I really think you need to get it on Star and look at the live data for fill times etc.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
Sorry Hoppo, wife needs a few things doing on Saturday (picking up a new pram and car set) so could we o this on Sunday morning instead?
Where do you want to meet as I don't know Leicester that well so may be better if you suggest a good place

OP
H

hoppo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cl500
Sorry Hoppo, wife needs a few things doing on Saturday (picking up a new pram and car set) so could we o this on Sunday morning instead?
Where do you want to meet as I don't know Leicester that well so may be better if you suggest a good place

I have the kids Sunday morning as the Mrs is out I could do Sunday afternoon or mostly any evening. Hobbyhorse island/pub is fine by me if you want to travel that far? I'm more than happy to come to you.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
on another post there's a link to youtube….

came across this one.... check the seals out

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I have the kids Sunday morning as the Mrs is out I could do Sunday afternoon or mostly any evening. Hobbyhorse island/pub is fine by me if you want to travel that far? I'm more than happy to come to you.
Np, Sunday afternoon would work, say 2:30 ish at hobby horse? Either that or your welcome to pop over to my place tomorrow evening?

OP
H

hoppo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
cl500
2.30 at the hobby horse would be perfect..

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom