Salvage/recycling/scrapyard

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
Scrapping a friends old volvo soon, theres a couple of places around me that take them to recycle, but is there such thing as a sortof scrapyard where we could look around and salvage bits we wanted. both car parts or general items.
Could scrap the volvo and make a day of it find some interesting bits.

I basically wish i was on scrapheap challenge!

im based in surrey, so something around there...

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
scrap cars are only worth £20-25 at the moment, and yes most car yards are open to going round salvaging parts ,thats how they work ,however unless you do some sort of deal with them you,re going to end up with the rough end of the stick swapping a whole car for a handful of parts

general scrap dealers that trade in anything will let you buy stuff ,(depending on the public access policy!!) one near me used to charge by weight/material regardless of what you salvaged,as most dont see value ,or have the time to sort incoming material.

Last edited:

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Smaltze i am in the same world as you .Those times have gone, sorry to say . Were you could say do you have one of these ,and the boss said , third row down, last car in the row. Dont think they will ever come back .Salvage yards and secondary parts are big bucks now. Loved a nice mooch .Bring home three times more than you paid for lol

OP
Smaltze

Smaltze

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 S210 2002
Smaltze i am in the same world as you .Those times have gone, sorry to say . Were you could say do you have one of these ,and the boss said , third row down, last car in the row. Dont think they will ever come back .Salvage yards and secondary parts are big bucks now. Loved a nice mooch .Bring home three times more than you paid for lol

Exactly, Im not looking for any worth for the scrap car just to get rid of it, the engine is out. Just wish i could find somewhere i could dig around at my will and it'd be fun.

EXMERCTECH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C320 V6 Diesel 2005
CW Bridges at Pease Pottage is huge.

Most of the smaller ones are gone now.

Where a outs in Surrey are you.

Last edited:

lwbnick

Reaction score
Website
euromerc.tumblr.com
Your Mercedes
expedition
Exactly, Im not looking for any worth for the scrap car just to get rid of it, the engine is out. Just wish i could find somewhere i could dig around at my will and it'd be fun.

With no engine you may have to pay to get it taken away.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
I think Healthy & Safety have put paid to the good old days of mooching round scrapyards. Gone are the days where you could be stripping bits off a car 4 high balanced on top of a stack of others.. with your mate keeping and eye out where the crane and grabber were....

Last edited:

john f

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml300/2010/cdi
I think Healthy & Safety have put paid to the good old days of mooching round scrapyards. Gone are the days where you could be stripping bits off a car 4 high balanced on top of a stack of others.. with your mate keeping and eye out where the crane and grabber were....

I remember years ago while getting a bit off car that was 3 high and rocking probably a carburettor of an Austin 1300 or something ,a chap on the next stack to me jumped down onto an oily bonnet of the car below and proceded to wedge himself in the crevice between 2 ground level cars.

Remember the oily mud that you had on your shoes and leaving foot prints on your parents carpet when you got home with your bargain radiator

the good old days

John F

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom