Same parts, different prices

aquiss

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220CDi AMG Sport
So I got my call from Mercedes Retention asking me to go in and talk options. This has given me chance to review prices. I am comparing C-Class with CLA-Class

What I don't understand is why the same items (same part number) are different prices, comparing the book prices.

Examples:
DAB digital radio tuner (Part 587):
C-Class its £335.00
CLA-Class its £420.00

Audio 20 with 6 Disc Changer (Part 510):
C-Class its £250.00
CLA-Class its £160.00

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
You're looking at the options number rather than the actual part number.

The price of an option will involve more than just the cost of the part. It will depend on design and production differences between the two models.

For example it may be that when fitting the DAB radio to a CLA the antenna amplifier requires changing, but doesn't in a C class.

Or fitting of a CD changer to a C class is more time consuming than to a CLA (different cable routing or necessity of a bracket for instance).

N

npuk

As above that is the option code which will be the same across many models. Doesnt mean the part is the same, however in this case they are as both cars use NTG4.5 based audio units.

With or without cd changer makes no difference as MB do not use external cd changers anymore, the headunit either has single cd or built in 6 disc changer so no extra wiring.

Cars with DAB have different screens fitted that have built in DAB antenna so this would affect the cost of the DAB option depending on the model. CLA being new the screen might cost more.

Last edited by a moderator:

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
May reflect what demographic they think will be buying the car. They may think more CLA owners will buy DAB so jack the price slightly. On the other hand the "young generation " may not feel the need of a 6 CD changer when they are used to plugging in their Ipod/USB stick so its kept low? ;)

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
All good points, especially as regards the demographic determining costs.
When I owned a Vauxhall Senator I found that there were quite a large number of parts sold for the Carlton that were exactly the same and yet cheaper.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom