SAT NAV DISC - R230 2003

Michael F

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003
Anyone knows where to obtain a sat nav disc for a command system fit in the SL350 of 2003. I would be interested in an original disc, or better so, in a latest compatible updated one. I am both Norwich and London based. Many thanks

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Having recently bought a 2003 R230 SL350 I really can't see how I can justify £150 or a genuine disc for my car when it says it's the last version produced for the earlier system and it appears your buying an obsolete product as it's 2012/2013?
I know this is heresy to most Mercedes owners but I'd rather put that £150 towards a £400 Chinese android head unit that has a 6/7 inch touch screen and you can download what navigation apps and others you want to on it.

OP
Michael F

Michael F

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003
AMGeed, many thanks for providing the links. Grammey, I share your views: to put a £150 price tag for outdated firmware I find it’s out of touch, where you can have nowadays iOS/Android applications on your smartphone for single digit prices. I am not keen however to replace the original head unit. Will wait for options like a salvage original disk or similar - will have to rely on my Iphone 7 in the meantime.

McDonald

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2004
I paid £100 for the most up to date disc from my local MB dealer. It was 4 years out of date as I took delivery and no further updates will be published. I'm now following the thread about replacement head units. It seems that I can escape the era of wooden electronics for under £500 all fitted. I love the car but the comand unit belongs in a home for obsolescence, not in my car.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I would also be interested in an aftermarket solution but my SL has Bose which i think complicates matters.

Mic

Reaction score
Website
www.bennettgibbons.co.uk
Your Mercedes
MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
I have the following surplus to my requirements........I replaced my COMAND unit with an Alpine some years ago.

United Kingdom and Ireland 2005
Deutschland 2006
Ceska Republika and Polska 2005/2006
Major Roads of Western Europe 2004/2005

Mic

OP
Michael F

Michael F

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003
I have the following surplus to my requirements........I replaced my COMAND unit with an Alpine some years ago.

United Kingdom and Ireland 2005
Deutschland 2006
Ceska Republika and Polska 2005/2006
Major Roads of Western Europe 2004/2005

Mic
Mic,
I would definitely be interested to try your discs. Let me know how you would like that I proceed. you may write to me to michelten@hotmail.com if you prefer. Many thanks. Michael

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Have a look on Ebay, must be MB or OEM. I got 15/16 for around £50 and it works OK.

merk350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2005 with pano roof
Anyone knows where to obtain a sat nav disc for a command system fit in the SL350 of 2003. I would be interested in an original disc, or better so, in a latest compatible updated one. I am both Norwich and London based. Many thanks
I have a disc which is an original but only up to 2007 I have it on e bay for £15:00

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
OP
Michael F

Michael F

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003
Many thanks LostKiwi, merk350, Rifiki, Mic, flowrider99, McDonald, for your replies and suggestions. Following some research, I have found that there is availability of discontinued CDs TomTom Teleatlas DX through eBay. These are original CDs, however at an attractive price (around £17 to £30) as they are sold as discontinued material (status of infrastructure until 2014 only).
Whilst I am by principle keen to preserve original car features, I am now seriously thinking about an aftermarket solution. Other than suffering from obsolescence, these older Command units are not fit with DAB, a feature that I miss as I am very much into HD audio (one of the few types who still supports and uses the SACD format at home). So, I would like to ask Flowrider, McDonald, if you are so kind, to please let me know of anything head unit attractive in the aftermarket that you may find.
Mic, happy to try your discs if you send them to me (please text me separately to the address earlier provided and I will reply to you with my post code and address).
Best wishes to all.

rifiki

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK W209 W121190B
Many thanks LostKiwi, merk350, Rifiki, Mic, flowrider99, McDonald, for your replies and suggestions. Following some research, I have found that there is availability of discontinued CDs TomTom Teleatlas DX through eBay. These are original CDs, however at an attractive price (around £17 to £30) as they are sold as discontinued material (status of infrastructure until 2014 only).
Whilst I am by principle keen to preserve original car features, I am now seriously thinking about an aftermarket solution. Other than suffering from obsolescence, these older Command units are not fit with DAB, a feature that I miss as I am very much into HD audio (one of the few types who still supports and uses the SACD format at home). So, I would like to ask Flowrider, McDonald, if you are so kind, to please let me know of anything head unit attractive in the aftermarket that you may find.
Mic, happy to try your discs if you send them to me (please text me separately to the address earlier provided and I will reply to you with my post code and address).
Best wishes to all.

The disc I got on Ebay is by TomTom in very small print. I only use command satnav a few times a year. If I go somewhere new check on Google maps, a bit of common sense this old system quite well.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
these older Command units are not fit with DAB
They can easily be fitted with DAB using add on units. There is a CKO unit that uses the AV in ports on the radio to present station data onto the screen and audio in via the RCS plugs. Its hidden from view and is operated by a small remote control thus preserving the originality of the car.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Following some research, I have found that there is availability of discontinued CDs TomTom Teleatlas DX through eBay. These are original CDs, however at an attractive price (around £17 to £30) as they are sold as discontinued material (status of infrastructure until 2014 only).
From what I've seen of these discs they don't look like genuine to me.
In general if its not in the box then its almost certainly a copy.

OP
Michael F

Michael F

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003
Viscount, I believe that link is similar to the one that I found where you can get UK and Ireland for 17 quid. Thanks for confirming that is works. I still believe these are surplus genuine disks that were on stock, still to be packed in hard case, but never were so as the became obsolete. I am getting one myself.
Hope this thread has been helpful to others. Cheers !

Viscount

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL / 2003 / 3.7L
I've had no problems at all. The Comand 2 SatNav in itself is quite basic; the disc is just a CD (ie. not DVD) so resolution is low. There is no ability to input post code that I can see. You have to go with city and street but it works. I just felt that to go away from the original equipment was wrong. There is also mention above about the Bose system which I have. It is an optic fibre output from the Comand so presumably a replacement head would need to be able to interface with that. For anyone interested, as I don't have the CD stacker and the Nav CD takes up the single slot, I use a Harman Kardon "Drive and Play" which interfaces an iPod with the Aux Input and has a small control unit that I have placed next the gear-shift; this allows control of the iPad (which is in the glove box powered from the cigar lighter socket) remotely. The car is low use and I find this a good compromise. FWIW.

OP
Michael F

Michael F

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 2003
Thanks, Viscount. What I would rather install is a DAB add-on unit (which should also function as a Bluetooth interface for iPhone/iPod. Have you ever considered this? any particular model that you would recommend?

Top Bottom