Sat Nav

Handylot

Reaction score
Hi All, I have a Harman Becker sat nav on an 2003 E class W211. It would appear that someone put a music cd in the sat nav slot. When the cd & sat nav disc were removed, the sat nav cd has become badly scratched and is no longer recognised by the reader. I am wondering if the laser reader is damaged and if there is a way of checking this before putting in a new/replacement disc which then may be damaged? Does anyone know of a repairer in the Bucks area or have any other bright ideas please? Many thanks R!

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
does it also play audio CD's? if so, try and play one

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
2 things here,,a scratched disc could under extreme conditions damage the suspension of the laser,,but that is rare. As Miffy it it plays a music CD then it is fine.

If the scratches are not too deep, then you can polish them out with plastic or metal polish,even T cut will do it

OP
H

Handylot

Reaction score
Many thanks guys, I hadn't thought of putting a music cd in the sat nav slot. Didn't think it would play. I'll try it out this evening. Presume therefore it it plays all is well with the equipment & it might just need a new cd for the sat nav. That would be easier on the wallet! R!

Lerpy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes-Benz C220 CDI Classic
The company 'Game' also offer a CD renewal service for about £5.00, they say they can repair badly scratched CD's and game discs, so you sat-nav disc should be doable.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The company 'Game' also offer a CD renewal service for about £5.00, they say they can repair badly scratched CD's and game discs, so you sat-nav disc should be doable.

Most info is in the center of the disc,,and it may not be full,metal polish does work wonders.

I have special set ups where i can increase the gain, and some decks have a memory to make up for missing info

OP
H

Handylot

Reaction score
Good news is that the reader plays music cd, so many thanks for that idea Miffy/Mark, bad news is that despite metal polish the disc reader spins the disc then message display reads "Navigation disc defective". I'll pop into Game at the w/e to see if they can do anything with it but will also try to track down a 2002 /1.21 version of Audio 50 APS ECE. My assumption is that the equipment is working ok but the problem therefore lies with the disc. Many thanks to you all for your ideas and assistance. R!

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom