SBC pump confusion

steven101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 Sliver E220cdi
update

just had it on friends star system

code C249F check operating time of component A7/3 (SBC hydraulic unit).

HW= 29.2002
SW= 34.2004

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
we had that on ours and it had the software update..... long may it continue...HOPEFULLY yours will be the same;)

Unfortunately a software update just prolongs the enevitable. It will req replacing at some point. :(

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
Unfortunately a software update just prolongs the enevitable. It will req replacing at some point. :(

...yep i know...dont rub it in :lol::lol:....gotta sort a few things out before i get robbed for a SBC pump:Oops:

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
...yep i know...dont rub it in :lol::lol:....gotta sort a few things out before i get robbed for a SBC pump:Oops:

I'm all for sending them around to Mercs to get them done FOC.

paul hayward

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
all MB sold..V70R now ;-)
I'm all for sending them around to Mercs to get them done FOC.

:lol:...so am i ... i do know its gonna stop one day though...just hope she hangs on in there for as long as possible:lol:;)

Pedro

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL350 & 350SL
Does anyone know the official line on SBC pump replacement FOC? I just had the warning light come on and my local main dealer tells me I need a new pump on my 2003 R230 (69K miles) and that the goodwill free replacement period ended last month! They quoted £1600 for a replacement. I'll happily drive the anywhere if they are being replaced for free!

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
If you read through this thread you will get some answers and maybe cheaper alternatives.

Fleetwood

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005. SL350
For less than £1600 you could export the car to America ( where they change the SBC for free ) get the work done then ship the car car home !

M3MK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
mecedes cls 350 cdi 2010
I`ve had 2 replacement SBC pumps and MB covered the cost each time. The pump has a stand alone warranty and its based on how many cycles(?) the pump has done.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Then you either had them done a while ago or you missed the fact MB no longer do them FOC and the various threads on here on just this topic...

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone see a Small Claims Merchantable Quality claim coming on...just to focus MB's future liability thoughts.....

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
It is of merchantable quality it brakes very well, it even warns you when it wants changing.
Its just too expensive and often doesn't last long enough.
Then to muddy the waters they used to swap them for free.
If MB swapped them for a reasonable price this saga would rumble on below the radar, as it is MB have through paucity of forethought attracted bad publicity, again.
The monkeys making these decisions should be sent to work in Comet .

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
It is of merchantable quality it brakes very well, it even warns you when it wants changing.
Its just too expensive and often doesn't last long enough.

Which is one of the criteria. I'll bet you Merc won't want at floodgate claim for these.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Which is one of the criteria. I'll bet you Merc won't want at floodgate claim for these.

Mercedes will give you two years cover if they fit it.
Probably long enough to comply with the Law.
That brings me full circle, too expensive and doesn't last long enough.
Some money spent on this rather than filling Hamiltons already full pockets perhaps, but then its not sexy is it, you wouldn't ponce around the paddock in Monaco telling the glitterati how you fixed your customers SBC would you ?
The people who make these decisions consider any car over three years old as bordering on scrap.
They have the latest company cars sometimes for just months.

bigtwin

Banned
Reaction score
Two years would not cut it for this component, given price, function and effect of failure.

There is absolutely no way they would let a test case of this go all the way to a judgement.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Individual plaintiffs would be picked off one by one in the UK Courts very much like the corrosion issue.
I have the T-Shirt from that.
A multi-party action would be useful but difficult to put together even then a settlement would snuff it out quickly.
The Law in this country is very much on the side of money.
I cannot think of any car company that has been bounced through to the UK Appeal Courts over component failure.
I wish one would though we might get some lemon laws.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom