SBC pumps

Clkrichard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Cabriolet 2004, R 230 SL 500 2005, new A class AMG Sport.
I know that these can fail after a specific number of brake applications and that refurbishment is theoretically not possible.
I also know that having the counter reset is possible but means taking a calculated risk. I guess the warning message doesnt necessarily point to pump failure and more to the usage count though.
I also know MB have pretty much stopped contributing and replacement costs are the wrong side of £1,000.
My question therefore is one of prudent maintenance.
Can Star determine the number of brake applications left before the counter triggers the first warning ? I.e. can you get a degree of advance warning ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Nope no rhyme nor reason on how it works some go 100's k miles others do not get past 50k. It has to be when the pump cannot reach the required pressure during the running time

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
There is a counter in developer mode ( for some reason 300,000 cycles come to mind, probably more like 3 million ! )...

this is picked from the web... :)

In SD Developer mode you need to go to:
Entwickelingsdaten (developer data) ---> ansteueringen (control gear) ---> Gesamstliste aller Ansteuerungen (complete list of all the control circuits).

To see how many times brake has been pressed there is a line that says: Bremsenzahler (DJ_GetBrLive) (brake payer (dj_getbrlive)).

BUT, as Malcolm says... some SBC units don't even get 1/2 way to here & just fail ?

Maybe it's poor fitting technique, or I suspect people aren't renewing their brake fluids as per MB's schedule...

Mine certainly didn't look like it had been done... I suppose the theory is that it takes a hammering & as the fluid doesn't circulate as such, the fluid around the pump ( which I am hoping is also used as a lubricant ) breaks down slowly = wear.
:)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The fluid is not pumped as such, it goes to the calipers as any other car and no return....they self check every 17 applications.

A car used in the rain will give a much higher usage count than one that never goes into the rain.

Distronic uses the brakes, just so many variables

OP
C

Clkrichard

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 Cabriolet 2004, R 230 SL 500 2005, new A class AMG Sport.
Wonderful brakes but not one of MBs best engineering efforts then !
I have just had my fluid changed at 80k miles and the pump is covered by warranty for another 18 months so I will stop worrying for now !
The warranty will outlive my usage of the car ......

Last edited:

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom