SBC! - reset

orb the Impaler

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 SLK 250 CDi AMG | Volvo V70 2.5T AWD | MV Agusta F4 | 1999 YZF-R1
I can't believe there is even a discussion going on about resetting the SBC unit - whether it's a MB "conservative limit" or not; the potential fallout doesn't even bear thinking about.

I think it's an absolute disgrace that Mercedes are now dodging fixing these units; IMO it's their stupid idea to install this ridiculously costly and complex system and in view of what is likely to happen as the value of the vehicles drops this kind of cost cutting was always the outcome. They should be replacing these FOC for the life of the vehicle. What a bad joke!

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
Developer mode will reset, but beware it's all in german ! I have seen the menu on my homebrew & it's there.

IIRC, the reset of the counter ( and it's been discussed many times, is a once only shot )

I don't think developer can do it numerous times, nor would I want to.

From lots of discussions, it's the lifespan of the brushes, rather than the pump that are the concern.

Either way, and to be honest, the dealer is the most safest place, not because the know what they are doing ( I wouldn't let them service my car ever ! lol ), but because they carry the liability if it fails thereafter, as they will be working to a sanctioned TSB by the OEM.

Oddly enough there are some VERY good non MB tools for the bleeding process ( if you search for Taiwan ) you can find a CAN BUS tool ( abbout £200 ) that does all it for you.

But, you still need a pressurised bleeder, and some basic tooling.

I know it may not help you now, however please do think about just taking it to Merc for a check.

HTH

Last edited:

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
so what happens to an sbc unit after it's bushes run out, can you simply replace the bushes ? or must you get a replacement unit totally

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
so what happens to an sbc unit after it's bushes run out, can you simply replace the bushes ? or must you get a replacement unit totally

That's the question all are asking! Currently only MB have the recon units AFAIK. If it was as simple as renewing the brushes I'm sure others would have stepped up but then its still relatively early and MB are still swapping them foc in most cases.

_Taz_

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 E63 6.3NA AMG Tenorite Estate MCT 7g
It is suspiciously annoying, as all the Indies & others in the know have no pt no's to refer to ( from My humble opinion )

I bet ( knowing Bosch ) that, if you spent enough time checking, that DC drive motor is shared on other cars / parts / windscreen motors etc....

But, MB, are very careful with this info, as you just can't find it anywhere.

I don't think they are as careless with info as we may think.

But, please don't be casual with the "reset", as this is not a component that gradually fails :shock:

DIYMAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270cdi/53 plate/2.7l 5cyl.
I would think/expect the SBC pump motor to be a modern permanent magnet type which does not have a commutator and brushes. Does anyone actually know the type of motor used?

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
It was same situation with ABS pump, MB changed whole failing unit but by changing brusher motor was ok (Well, the motor actually was not designed for that, but by grinding the rivets etc. etc. :D). Renault used same ABS motor in some models than MB, SBC I'm not aware.

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
I think it was mentioned before about using brushless motors but they aren't suitable because they can't start against high resistance or they are normally a/c not d/c. Not 100% on the reason tbh.

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Its not only the motor/brushes that wear, the "pump" side of the sbc can too. It can take too long to develop the correct pressure. You'd be a brave (or foolish) man to take on a repair on an sbc pump knowing what could be at stake.

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
Its not only the motor/brushes that wear, the "pump" side of the sbc can too. It can take too long to develop the correct pressure. You'd be a brave (or foolish) man to take on a repair on an sbc pump knowing what could be at stake.

That's true, but I the system will give immediate alert if something is physically broken or wrong (after home-garage-DIY-repair-attempt). I think these 'inner pump faults' are often growing gradually and giving alert before system totally fails. On/off fails like bladder of the accumulator or broken brake pipe are different thing which could happen in any system in any time.

System should be never used if there is any other fault code than just triggered counter value. It was in US forum where someone has been driving over year with 'white' SBC alert on display, and was asking what happens when the unit fails :shock:

Edit: And finally, I totally agree that MB should have handle this issue much better, because high price of the non-warranty repair has led to situation where this kind of discussion is on, and cheap chinese reset tools etc. are on the market... hope that those few companies which are currently repairing SBC units can keep their prices at reasonable level, and there will be more of them.

Last edited:

b1g1an

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG
I think it was mentioned before about using brushless motors but they aren't suitable because they can't start against high resistance or they are normally a/c not d/c. Not 100% on the reason tbh.

Yeh, I joked they should've used induction motors and Malcolm gave a very good explanation of why that was a non starter that went straight over my head :)

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
i seem to recall that someone here mentioned he knew of a taxi driver that had a SBC failure message on his screen for over a year before it actually 'failed', so what i'm wondering is when you get a 'visit workshop' message on your display is the car still drivable and for how long (anyone know ?)

cheers
niall

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
i seem to recall that someone here mentioned he knew of a taxi driver that had a SBC failure message on his screen for over a year before it actually 'failed', so what i'm wondering is when you get a 'visit workshop' message on your display is the car still drivable and for how long (anyone know ?)

cheers
niall

That was us and how long is unknown!!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded

That is what I have always said, the pump only runs in set cycles for the best part, if it cannot reach the full working pressure within that time, then the pump has to start again. The pressures in this system is somewhere between 200 and 300 bar and 160 bar at each front caliper.

As said DC motors cannot start under load, the same as an induction motor.
By using more segments on the armature arcing is reduced to a minimum, thus less wear taking place.

We know that SBC and steering pumps wear out, with no rhyme or reason as to why some go early and others never fail for the life of the car.

I just think it is very unkind of mercedes and Bosch to charge so much for something that cost very little to make, the same as the PSE pumps on 230's

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
It's a bit like cutting deeper grooves in your tyres with a soldering iron when they get to the tread limit.

Some things (not many!) are best done properly, infuriating as it is.

N

npuk

Hmm how comes the next post that was there has completely disappeared? It doesnt even show the normal message deleted notification.

Last edited by a moderator:

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Yikes strange things are happening once again on the forum... I would expect Malcolm has asked for it to be removed..but interesting thread so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom