Sbc !!!yahoo mercedes say yes!!!!

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Alfie B

I am delighted at the outcome for you and just shows that a rational, literate consumer cannot just be fobbed of if you present a sound case on grounds you did - expensive cr*p repairs with such safety issues, and dismissive/arrogant attitudes accompanied by corporate bullshine do not work in this day and age and a lot of us will not run away/rollover easily.

I note with great interest that both dealer and MB are now going halfs on repaying you and I think this strongly indicates your case suddenly went higher up the corporate tree at MB following your notified intention of approaching TV/press with the details of your experience.

Excellent result and I will file away in readiness for the day my system decides to expire - car now 4 years old so will not be long !

Best regards

Hi Bill,
Thanks for that, and if or when you have problems you can count on my support.;)
Kind Regards
Alfie B

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Now I'm really confused.
My Dad's 2002 E220cd went in for a service. There is a recall on the brakes sir. Hey presto, he has a brand new shiny SBC pump. No charge.
Are they doing everyones now?
Was it Alfie that pushed them over the edge?
I'll be ringing them on Monday to get a service quote and will be asking them whan I can have my new pump.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Now I'm really confused.
My Dad's 2002 E220cd went in for a service. There is a recall on the brakes sir. Hey presto, he has a brand new shiny SBC pump. No charge.
I'll be ringing them on Monday to get a service quote and will be asking them whan I can have my new pump.

I want one :(:(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
call in at stealers and ask if theres a recall then! tell them a notable forum informs you that there is if they say no!

And I can say that my name is Fred till they look up the data card

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)

well, i think its worth a try. especially at a stealers that isnt your local one!

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT

He He dont for christ sake say your name is Alfie you,ll get thrown out ha ha:p.

Alfie B

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Now I'm really confused.

Maybe was me jberks I would'nt mind taking the credit for that one eh:).

Regards
Alfie B

Marco Polo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S213 E220d SE 4Matic
Replacement SBC

I have just had a B service at MB Macclesfield on my 320CDI W211 estate with 37000 miles. I paid the regular £320. I was told that they had replaced my SBC unit which would cost £1500 except that the first change is courtesy of MB because they recognise that the 2 million cycles required before it has to be replaced comes round very quickly with all the E Class taxis in Germany. So Iguess this means that at some point I will have to fork out a big wedge when another 2 million cycles (of brake pedal depression?) is reached. On my invoice it reads 'Assyst Plus, Major Maintenance Scope Perform Veh with SBC.'

Is this connected to the recall referred to by JBerks in his post of 15th August?

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I have just had a B service at MB Macclesfield on my 320CDI W211 estate with 37000 miles. I paid the regular £320. I was told that they had replaced my SBC unit which would cost £1500 except that the first change is courtesy of MB because they recognise that the 2 million cycles required before it has to be replaced comes round very quickly with all the E Class taxis in Germany. So Iguess this means that at some point I will have to fork out a big wedge when another 2 million cycles (of brake pedal depression?) is reached. On my invoice it reads 'Assyst Plus, Major Maintenance Scope Perform Veh with SBC.'

Is this connected to the recall referred to by JBerks in his post of 15th August?

Sounds like they're doing them all then.
Just had my last service done at the indie but for the next one (just a cheap basic A next time) I'm going to have a chat with the dealer...:)

FrankBernard

Reaction score
SBC Replaced free by Mercedes Whitefied

Hello everyone, my SBC unit failed a couple of days ago whilst I was driving. Managed to stop safely, but nearly poo'd my pants!

Got my car towed to Mercedes whitefield. Left it with them, looked around online to determine what the problem may be, and discovered this website, after reading the posts, got really worried about how much it would cost me to have the car fixed.

My car is a 2003 w211 with 92k on the clock. Obviously out of warranty. I rang the Whitefield dealership up and made them aware that I knew some people were being charged for fixing this problem and some were not.

They told me that it cost £1600 to fix the problem and that Mercedes will pay for everything. What a relief! So I did not pay anything to have this problem sorted and I got my MOT done for £27.

You can't really get better customer service than that.

To all the people who are going to independents to see if they can solve this problem, I would say that it may be worth checking with your local Mercedes dealership first to see if te cost of this problem will be covered by Mercedes or not.

I think there are enough grounds for this problem to be sorted free off charge as it''s a problem relate to the SBC unit that has had several recalls. To be honest I think the unit does not do the job it was intended to do adequately. I think one could argue it does not meets the standards set by the sales of goods act?

Dosco

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211
Welcome to the forum Frank, good outcome for you:lol:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thank you frank as well and welcome to the forum:D:D:D Just waiting now for mine to fail

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thanks Frank, good to know. Clearly a major policy change for MB.
My next service will be a cheapie so I'm seriously considering sending it back to the dealer next time, if they'll pre-empt the failure and replace the pump.
Out of curiosity, what happens when it fails? Red warnings on the dash I assume but what do the brakes do?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yes a red dash and warning "drive slowly" you have lousy brakes,, you have the same stopping power as a car with no servo, and with disc brakes,,that is poor.

I was lucky enough to have a Mini cooper in the 60's the first ones had no servo,,they were harf to stop. Our cars weigh 3 times what the mini did,,so if they fail in the wrong place or time do allow for some front end damage

FrankBernard

Reaction score
Thanks Frank, good to know. Clearly a major policy change for MB.
My next service will be a cheapie so I'm seriously considering sending it back to the dealer next time, if they'll pre-empt the failure and replace the pump.
Out of curiosity, what happens when it fails? Red warnings on the dash I assume but what do the brakes do?

You could be in a very dangerous situation. I would say that the brakes will only be 10-20% as effective as they would be if the SBC was working.

The car will not have good stopping power, You will have to put your foot down all the way. You will have to tink really fast. I was luck I was driving at around 20mph. Took me a while to realise what had happened.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You could be in a very dangerous situation. I would say that the brakes will only be 10-20% as effective as they would be if the SBC was working.

The car will not have good stopping power, You will have to put your foot down all the way. You will have to tink really fast. I was luck I was driving at around 20mph. Took me a while to realise what had happened.

You make a good point here about the thinking time,,this is not just thinking time it is the seconds that pass while you think of what has happened.

I will leave a 200ft gap when driving from the car infront

OP
ALFIEBEARD

ALFIEBEARD

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
JAGUAR XF-R SPORT
Well Mercedes certainly have changed their policy on paying out on the SBC systems since my escapade with them:shock:, really good to hear that things are now being done the way they should always have been. I reckon yours could fail shortly Malcolm he he.:rolleyes:.

Kind Regards
Alfie B

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well Mercedes certainly have changed their policy on paying out on the SBC systems since my escapade with them:shock:, really good to hear that things are now being done the way they should always have been. I reckon yours could fail shortly Malcolm he he.:rolleyes:.

Kind Regards
Alfie B

I think that I should unplug it and see what it is like without SBC I use the distronic a lot, and that uses the SBC all the time

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom