screen impossibleto clean

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
I too have had this problem and tried new blades + a realy good clean of the glass to no avail (works for 5 mins), Step two was change the 18 year old slightly chipped & scratched glass also to no avail, but now I can,t see the tiny halos in the glass when driving into a low sun so I am quite happy with my 150 quid spend.
The solution in the end was a very serious (like 3 times) cleaning out the wind screen washers of the bits of some horrid gloopy substance (algae/snot?) which seemed the breed in the washer tank. The water level sensor is almost impossible to clean out. Methinks that this is something to do with that there blue screenwash fluid, I now use a very small amount of her majesties soft liquid hand soap in there and can report that for the last 12 months I have been smear free (in the windscreen dept).

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I too have had this problem and tried new blades + a realy good clean of the glass to no avail (works for 5 mins), Step two was change the 18 year old slightly chipped & scratched glass also to no avail, but now I can,t see the tiny halos in the glass when driving into a low sun so I am quite happy with my 150 quid spend.
The solution in the end was a very serious (like 3 times) cleaning out the wind screen washers of the bits of some horrid gloopy substance (algae/snot?) which seemed the breed in the washer tank. The water level sensor is almost impossible to clean out. Methinks that this is something to do with that there blue screenwash fluid, I now use a very small amount of her majesties soft liquid hand soap in there and can report that for the last 12 months I have been smear free (in the windscreen dept).

Interesting post,,I have found that once you have polished the glass with a glass compound the result does not last very long, it is as though the glass has a hard skin, once you have polished it off, it goes again very quickly

OP
mike102

mike102

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1990 300 E class
Thankyou all for your imput.
Some very good advice their, gives me a number of options to try.
Mike.

OP
mike102

mike102

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1990 300 E class
Thanks Chewie/Ray.
For taking time out for an indepth rundown on likely causes.
Il'l get back in time when iv'e got a good result.
Cheers.
Mike.

OP
mike102

mike102

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1990 300 E class
Hi All.
Thanks for all the suggestions, Can't believe it! CIF Cleaner, Wonderful stuff, Gave it three applications, rinsing in between and the result is brilliant, was well tested with the downpours we've had of late.
Totally shifted any grease and oils.
Most Happy.
Mike.
Oh and cheap too!

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom