Seatbelt retracted, now won't come back out.

John Seaton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi
Hi,

New member and first post.

Recently bought a 2011 C220. I have put a childs car seat in the back, and one of my wee cherubs has managed to unclip it. The seatbelt has retracted far enough that i can't now clip it back in. It also now will not come back out using the usual manner. Being the kind of seat that it is, I am not able to remove it nowwithout either cutting the arm rest off, or cutting the seatbelt.

My question is, has anyone come across a similar situation, and how did you resolve it?

Thanks in advance.

Johnny

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
Some late Mercedes seat belts have a function where if you pull the belt all the way out to its fullest extent it will only go back in, and not allow you to pull it out again until it has fully retracted. Once fully retracted the mechanism resets and it behaves like a normal belt again. Is it possible to uncouple the seat and sneak it out from behind the belt? If you can let it retract fully there is a good chance it'll go back to normal

OP
J

John Seaton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi
Some late Mercedes seat belts have a function where if you pull the belt all the way out to its fullest extent it will only go back in, and not allow you to pull it out again until it has fully retracted. Once fully retracted the mechanism resets and it behaves like a normal belt again. Is it possible to uncouple the seat and sneak it out from behind the belt? If you can let it retract fully there is a good chance it'll go back to normal

Hi Uncle,

I haven't properly tried to remove the car seat yet. It can be split into a booster seat and the back. When in booster mode, it has the arms attached. When in full seat mode, the belt loops over the arms and through the back, holding it securely. That is the way it is at the moment. I will have a go tonight again and see if I am able to manoeuvre the seat enough to get it to split.

Thanks,

Johnny

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Some MBs, although I'm not sure which models, have a 'child seat' function on the belts where you pull them right out and then the retract with a ratchet sounds that locks the belt. It's got to be fully retracted for the ratchet to release again.

(Just realised Uncle Benz's psot is talking about the same thing!)

Also the centre belt on C Class estates (at least on the W203 - yours will be a W204) are notorious for locking up when the rear seat is folded down and the belt goes tight. Touch wood it's never happened to me but I think the only solution is to remove the back of the rear seat to get at the belt mechanism.

Last edited:
OP
J

John Seaton

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi
Thanks for your replies. Have tried to split the child seat, but the way the belt is routed through it, that makes that impossible. Was going to try and see if I could get a spanner down the side of the seat of the car and undo the bolt securing the end of the belt to the body. If I could do that, then I would be able to feed the belt back through holes in the child seat, while not allowing it to fully retract. Once it's clear of the child seat I could then reattach the seat belt. My other (last) option would be to cut one of the arm rests off the child seat.

Johnny

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom