Second opinions welcome!

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
M6 Cab - prior to that, SL63 AMG, A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
Just had a week in Lanzarote reminding myself what sunshine looked like. All went well until a call from home - my (R230) alarm was going off & had been for an hour or so. Directed my neighbour to find the key & although it has keyless, told to unlock the car with the fob, open door & relock. Sounded like they did this, but apparently (I remain unconvinced about this bit!) after a second or two, the car unlocked itself & the alarm went off again (bear in mind they were standing right at the car with the key in their hand).

That made me think that with the heavy rain, water had found it's way into the handle, effectively bridging whatever normally happens when you touch the handle & the keyless opens it up, but why would the alarm go off?

They parked it in their double garage :mrgreen::mrgreen: unlocked and after a couple of days, locked it where it remained silent.

I got home last evening, went to pick it up, metered the boot battery (12.6 volt) before starting, so no big drain on that.

I've taped over the lock button on the handle (still works fine) to stop any possible further water ingress - there has been an issue on that some months back that I obviously have not fixed completely & so far so good.

The question though from this mini War & Peace - any ideas what sequence of events might have kicked off the alarm in the first place given they key was well out of range for keyless?

Thanks in advance
David

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Water in the boot I fear,,lift out the wheel, and check for any dampness in the sponge of the PSE pump on the left in the car. fitted under the roof pump on early cars and over on later ones

Check under the spare wheel if a non AMG car for water.

Please let us know

OP
drmw

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
Not that Malcolm - having shelled out a load on my last SL for a PSE pump I'm quite paranoid about water in the boot - this one is good - the underside of the foam even at the very lowest point is quite dry.

Now you mention it though I will however be applying the mod I used to good effect on the last car - one of these Active Seal bags (http://www.autonomed.co.uk/shop/dept.asp?dept_id=14) - not the one in the main pic that has an opening both ends, but one that only has one - bit of a fiddle stretching it to drop the pump in, but after it's there you could drop the entire pump in a bath & it would stay dry.

I'll keep looking and advise if and when I find out.

Cheers

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
One snag with putting the pump in a bag is,,if water did run down the wires, it could not get out. what I do is to put a sheet of 5mm plastic under the pump so that it cannot suck water up.

Your fault then,was it just some glitch,,it is hard to say, it could have been a tiny spider in the movement sensor in the car,,it may never do it again

OP
drmw

drmw

Reaction score
Website
www.autonomed.co.uk
Your Mercedes
it could have been a tiny spider in the movement sensor in the car,,it may never do it again

aha ...!!!

I noticed just such a chap shortly before I left - from memory it was dangling top of windscreen but as I was driving I couldn't grab the b*gger.

Whereabouts is/are the sensor(s) please (so I can get a good vacuum cleaner on the job!!)?? :twisted::twisted::twisted:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think in the Overhead control panel where the mirror sits

I should know for sure,,:( but age is creeping in

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom