Secondhand vehicles with towing use

Mike2018

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350
I'm looking for a used W212 estate, E350 petrol.

I've seen one, 62 reg, 86K miles - it has a towing hook on the back.

Run a mile?

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Only just run in.

What was the tow bar used for? Builders trailer with a few tonne of ballast every day? A small trailer to pop garden rubbish to the tip once a month? Towing a yacht? A dingy? Trailer tent? Caravan? or just a bike carrier?

Does the ball look knarled, have caravan stabiliser grip marks? covered in grease/oil, or rusty?

Ask the current owner if you have concerns. I know every journey my vehicles have had the tow bars used, for what, where and when. Partly so as when the caravan goes for service I know what to expect to be charged for, or not!!!

Has the car self levelling suspension? Has the MoT history shown suspension failures? Does the service history show suspension parts replaced?

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
In general no but as above see if you can find out what it towed and how often/far.

Anything boat related or big and heavy be extra careful (boats could mean salt water).

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Mileage and tow ball in themselves not an issue. Quite a rare beast the 350 petrol

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i wouldn't worry if it has a towbar. for one, it saves me having to fit one. plus, I found with the 203 that the rear springs seemed less prone to breaking if they were run 'well loaded' (a trailer and some weight that the car wouldn't normally carry) as it seemed to keep them from turning quite so brittle by flexing them more. I may be wrong, but that is what I feel was happening and whilst I had replaced the springs on the car previously (when dad had it) it never needed them replaced again despite the towing (I used the trailer a lot at the time for paving slabs and gravel)

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
The car, of course, has self leveling suspension (all E Class estates for more than 30 years have it).

We can't see the car, you can. So, no advice except careful inspection would be correct.

OP
M

Mike2018

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350
Thanks for all your replies. It's only got one socket, so I suspect not a big 'van (is that right??). I've not physically seen the car - apologies for giving that impression, just the photos on a dealer's website. (TBH I'm surprised he left the towbar on).

I've asked him if he knows what it was used for, but he doesn't - I have asked if he can check with the previous owner. It's in Chichester, so a sea-going boat is a possibility.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
I'm looking for a used W212 estate, E350 petrol.

I've seen one, 62 reg, 86K miles - it has a towing hook on the back.

Run a mile?

not really, just judge the car on its overall condition if in good nic its likely not been abused with the bar. most people with towing experience are generaly better drivers who take more care especially if car in good clean maintained condition.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yip, caravans need two sockets so it’s been a light trailer or boat trailer.
Only thing I worry about when buying a car with a tow attachment is if the clutch has been abused but that down’t apply in this case!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Only thing I worry about when buying a car with a tow attachment is if the clutch has been abused but that down’t apply in this case!

although ive seen a few kill auto gearboxes (seen 3 S class's for a start, plus others) or cook torque converters etc. so having auto transmission doesn't mean theres no chance of failure either.

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Yip, caravans need two sockets .....

They've not had 2 sockets here in Blighty for a few years now, but European caravans have used a 13 pin plug for years before that. The car in question is likely to be fitted with a 13 pin socket .... though not necessarily with all pins wired ;)

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
unless the car has been used for a caravan (or similar) OR has the factory fitted/oem towbar and wiring kit fitted, very few people actually fit the 13 pin socket if its only to be used for basic lighting. a guy at work had a towbar fitted to his 62 plate Hyundai to tow a caravan (admittedly a relatively old caravan) and the towbar fitter fitted the old standard twin 7 pin sockets to his car.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
unless the car has been used for a caravan (or similar) OR has the factory fitted/oem towbar and wiring kit fitted, very few people actually fit the 13 pin socket if its only to be used for basic lighting. a guy at work had a towbar fitted to his 62 plate Hyundai to tow a caravan (admittedly a relatively old caravan) and the towbar fitter fitted the old standard twin 7 pin sockets to his car.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
what's with all the multiple posts these days?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
what's with all the multiple posts these days?
The forum is running so slow Mike that often we think it’s not posting so click on post again....then we get it twice and sometimes more! It has been reported by Cole to admin

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom