Seeking Help/Advice - 1989 190E

robbyefe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 190E
Morning all,
I inherited what was my Grandad's car, a 1989 190E. It was only used a little on Guernsey and then very rarely used towards the end of his life (it's only done 50k). The engine is in great shape. There's some minor rust on the bodywork and interior is in OK condition. My sister had it for a few years in England where it has done about 25-30k of those miles.

I've had it for about a year or 2, and my intention was to over time make improvements and minor repairs (with help) as and when I had time / could afford. COVID changed a lot and we're now expecting our first child so I'm going to have to sell. Unfortunately I am not a car enthusiast & my car knowledge isn't great - I was looking forward to learning with this project but now have to let that go.

The car is currently on Guernsey (where I live), and I fear there's just not going to be the demand here. I'm seeking advise of whether to just sell it as is, or to invest into improvements, or to get it to the UK?

Happy to answer any questions,
Thanks in advance,
Regards
Rob

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Is Guernsey in the EU?
Estimated cost of shipment to Portsmouth..?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Protocol 3 means it's not a very straight forward answer to in the EU or not, however as I understand it there are common customs tarrifs so I think (Believe) it wouldn't be a problem to get it 'back' to England somehow (Just driven over on the ferry possibly to Poole?).
My Opinion for what it's worth is that unless you can do the improvement work yourself cheaply you will never recoup your investment, and better to sell it as it is. Agreed it will have a better audience in the UK too....

OP
R

robbyefe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 190E
Is Guernsey in the EU?
Estimated cost of shipment to Portsmouth..?
Hi Matt,
Guernsey is part of Great Britain.
Condor ferries run and a passenger with a vehicle is £245 (overnight boat, includes the cabin cost) just as an indication. I'm waiting for someone to get back to me with if they are able to ship it freight and what the cost would be.

OP
R

robbyefe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 190E
Protocol 3 means it's not a very straight forward answer to in the EU or not, however as I understand it there are common customs tarrifs so I think (Believe) it wouldn't be a problem to get it 'back' to England somehow (Just driven over on the ferry possibly to Poole?).
My Opinion for what it's worth is that unless you can do the improvement work yourself cheaply you will never recoup your investment, and better to sell it as it is. Agreed it will have a better audience in the UK too....
Thanks John.
I suppose next step is to try and get an understanding of value!!

For what it is worth the car has previously been imported to the UK (and since exported), so VAT has already been paid once!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I'd have a scan through this lot and pitch it somewhere in the middle since it's low mileage (lower than most on the site)
You haven't said what model so I'm assuming it's not a Cosworth or EVO !

OP
R

robbyefe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 190E
That's interesting, will have a proper look after work.

Not a Cosworth or EVO. It's the 190E 2.0 Petrol - I'll dig out the paper work for exact details etc, not sure what other info is needed?

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Could always give Mathersons a call. We can then watch on on the TV :)
They'll also give you a pretty good appraisal of what it's worth as is.

mattkh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 W168 1999 1.6
Left hand drive..?
Automatic..?
MOT details of when the car was in UK.
Sunroof..?

OP
R

robbyefe

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 190E
Right Hand Drive, Automatic, Sun-Roof - yes.
I'll have to get MOT details off my sister if she still has them.

Crispian

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 Ml63 AMG with performance package
My partner bought her car back to the UK last April when she relocated back here from Jersey,the cost to register the car back here on UK plates was around the £300 mark,but that also includes 12 months road tax which she had to pay up front in order to get the new registration documents.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom