seized engine

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"98 S202 C250TD Manual hybrid
My son (15) just bought cheap a 2002 MG TF 160 from the head chef at pub he part times at allegedly ignition lights come on but car wont start, power to starter and ignition feed so pulled starter and braid from solenoid to starter burnt so replaced starter and clunk... ahah,seized engine rechecked water and oil ,oil appears ok and water although tastes sweet was clear so thought possible gasket issues and locked cylinder,pulled plugs, one was wet and later dried filled all plug holes with diesel and left overnight jacked up one wheel put in gear and put breaker bar (and scaffold pole on hub nut!!) absolutely solid, meantime chef pleads ignorant so no pointers there,(bit odd doing a work mate, lesson learnt for son dont trust no f===r)

Anyway any tips / tricks to proceed appreciated before it becomes a breaker

Benzworx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 55 amg
Sorry but should of known better than to buy an ex BL car

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
Surely it's easiest to swap out the engine?

Sent from a mobile device

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
Anyway any tips / tricks to proceed appreciated before it becomes a breaker

Is this a K series engine? If so, head removal for a replacement head gasket probably wouldn't be too far off anyway. Given that your son is only 15, it'll give him a couple of years to practice with the spanners. ;);)

OP
Y

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
gasket

they must be bad main dealer fitted LR MLS gasket set 10000 miles ago

Silver_Star

Reaction score
Rural Leicestershire near where Pork Pies and Stil
Your Mercedes
W203.006, S211.208 Land Rover 90
If there is no chance of getting your money back it may be a good way to teach your lad his way round an engine. CHG issues aside, the K series is a pretty good lump and easy to work on.

Sounds like you have done all you can to the engine in situ, although a bore scope could be a last option?

If it won't turn over with the plugs out after the bores being soaked in diesel over night it sounds like it's either time to pull the engine or remove the head and take it from there once you can see what is what.

If you do decide to rebuild or put a new bulb in, ensure the plastic head locating dowels are replaced and the steel ones used, use the new MLS head gasket. Also ensure that the water pump is renewed as they are a common place for coolant to leak and that the expansion cap is renewed, again a common place to loose coolant. These cars only have a very small coolant capacity enabling the engines to get up to temperature fast. You will also need to bleed the system properly.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
He bought it from a CHEF!!!!!!!!!!;)

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/facts-and-figures/essays/essay-k-series-–-myths-and-facts/

FOR EXAMPLE??

Q I have been told the bottom end of the engine will seize if I remove the bolts incorrectly, is this true?

A – Well yes and no. A clever design & fail safe feature of the crank bearing design locks the crankshaft once the head bolts are removed. Winding the engine over with a spanner is virtually impossible but should never be attempted. The reason being is that the engine has no cylinder bores but instead has liners fitted into the block. Winding over the engine would cause the liners to lift and destroy the o ring seal at the bottom of the liner.
AND
http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/facts-and-figures/essays/essay-k-series-–-what-makes-it-tick/

Last edited:
OP
Y

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
lesson

If there is no chance of getting your money back it may be a good way to teach your lad his way round an engine. CHG issues aside, the K series is a pretty good lump and easy to work on.

Sounds like you have done all you can to the engine in situ, although a bore scope could be a last option?

If it won't turn over with the plugs out after the bores being soaked in diesel over night it sounds like it's either time to pull the engine or remove the head and take it from there once you can see what is what.

If you do decide to rebuild or put a new bulb in, ensure the plastic head locating dowels are replaced and the steel ones used, use the new MLS head gasket. Also ensure that the water pump is renewed as they are a common place for coolant to leak and that the expansion cap is renewed, again a common place to loose coolant. These cars only have a very small coolant capacity enabling the engines to get up to temperature fast. You will also need to bleed the system properly.

looking at it the easiest way without needing a chiropracter would be to turn the car upside down,theres easier access engines to learn on, main lesson here is one of trust you dont expect to get done by someone youve worked with for a year albeit not full time, latest whisperings down the pub grapevine of 140mph (really!!) and oil on the road...now on gumtree

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
looking at it the easiest way without needing a chiropracter would be to turn the car upside down,theres easier access engines to learn on, main lesson here is one of trust you dont expect to get done by someone youve worked with for a year albeit not full time, latest whisperings down the pub grapevine of 140mph (really!!) and oil on the road...now on gumtree

If my memory serves me correctly you used to be able to buy a frame that turned your Mini and others over for welding.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Or just prop it on one side:

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Yup - I used to roll my mini on its side onto a couple of tyres. Simples!

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Let me repeat the oft quoted mantra- never buy a non runner- a car you can't start/ drive along the road to test- the engine/transmission/steering/brakes/suspension/cooling system/ electrics. About the only thing you can assess is the body if you can get it up on a ramp--- but of course you can't do that-- because its a non runner! :roll: It's never just the "starter/battery/immobiliser/" electrics" the non-runner is normally terminal for some very expensive reason.

Last edited:
OP
Y

yorkshire1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Let me repeat the oft quoted mantra- never buy a non runner- a car you can't start/ drive along the road to test- the engine/transmission/steering/brakes/suspension/cooling system/ electrics. About the only thing you can assess is the body if you can get it up on a ramp--- but of course you can't do that-- because its a non runner! :roll: It's never just the "starter/battery/immobiliser/" electrics" the non-runner is normally terminal for some very expensive reason.

Fair comment, however you dont expect to get done by a work colleague in a country pub whos twice my sons age, just a bit of a low trick in my book...,anyway he gave £300 for it so hopefully he,ll draw even

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Well that is a low trick to pull on a kid, I wouldn't stoop so low.

But we've all sold on cars with hidden faults and not told the buyer, haven't we ? It's just this fault was not hidden, the lad knew it was seized, he just did not realise the likely implications of buying a car with a seized engine.

The question is what was a 15 year old doing buying a car without any adult advice anyway ?

That still does not excuse the vendors actions in my book.

alexanderfoti

MBO Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W221 S65 AMG - W204 C63 AMG + Various other MB's
It's more than the seller would have got for it as scrap.

Not by much though.

What im saying is that a new engine might still be worth it, no?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
SL55 Mark;1058600.... said:
But we've all sold on cars with hidden faults and not told the buyer, haven't we ? .....

No :cool:

Last edited:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom