Seized Sunroof on 1985 w123 230E

Slat4090

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
230E/1985/2300
My sunroof does not work. I did the basics and tried a new fuse, as the old one had blown. Would it be the motor or is it more likely to be a bad connection somewhere? The switch moves, and you can hear the engine tone change very slightly as if its trying to power up, but nothing happens.
With summer fast approaching, i could do with it operational.

Basically, what I need to know is...

Is there a manual way of winding the roof back?

Where is the sunroof motor located?

Is there any way of testing this without removing it?:confused:
Many thanks,

Matt

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Its in the boot and yes there is a manual method, you put a box spanner onto the hex shaft stub on the motor unit and turn it.

The roof panel might have stuck to a degraded seal and might not seal properly once you get it open leading to wind noise and excessive rain ingress, make sure the drains are not choked up with sludge.
Once it is open clean any dried on stuff off the sealing band at the roof and panels edges. It might help if you get the seal wet before you try to force it open.

Beware of breaking the opening mechanism it can be a dock yard job to repair if anything gets broken.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As above the hand winder is just over the left hand wheel arch.

Sun roof motors have 2 second trip, that is if too tight the motor will cut for 2 second, then try again.

I have the drain information and location paper that I can send you.

Providing there is no blockage, it may pay you to try and get it open a bit, spray some PTFE on the tracks then close again and keep doing this a little bit more each time

Gary Hanson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A Jag. Jags are my favourite.
The relay is also near the hand winder if you want to try opening it.
On my old 230 the sunroof sometimes just opened by itself without the switch being operated, and then wouldn't close again, or if it did, it would open itself a few minutes later. This was quite annoying in cold weather, so I manually closed it and then disconnected the relay.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom