Selling under unusual circumstances...

RiceBurner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 230TE
Lo all, hope no-one minds this thread, as it could be construed as an ad...

Basically, due to marital circumstances I am having to sell my beloved W124 (white 230TE in good nick, recently had the water pump replaced), the oddity is that I no longer have access to the car. It's being sold through an independant (Around the Benz, in Ford, West Sussex), who are managing the sale on behalf of my wife.

The reason for it happening this way is that I've moved up to London, and she's stayed down in W.Sussex, and she was using the car up until recently.

Question is, would an arrangement like this put you off being interested in the car? I am hoping that being sold through an indie workshop in this manner wouldn't put people off? I have to say that it didn't put me off when I bought it from Around the Benz myself!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Sorry to hear about all of the events,why not put the car in parts for sale and wanted section

Michael G 2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nowt yet...
Hi it seems a shame to sell. Incase anyone is interested (Or just nosey ;)) would you be able to post photos (if possible) and give us more details mileage etc. Good luck with the sale. :)

*Thumper

Banned
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220 CDi (09)
A brokerage sale is not uncommon ........... so I would'nt worry about it ..... make sure you get paid, and have a minimum that you wont go under !! ............. in writing !

OP
R

RiceBurner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 230TE
Hi it seems a shame to sell. Incase anyone is interested (Or just nosey ;)) would you be able to post photos (if possible) and give us more details mileage etc. Good luck with the sale. :)

I wish I could put photos up - but ironically, although we owned it for around 7 months (IIRC), I never took any!! :(

Some further details are that the car has around 130,000 - 140,000 miles (I can't remember!) on it, but runs well.
Very little corrosion (none in the front wheel arches which I know is a weak spot),

Car is white, with light grey lower half, and a purple pinline along the lower waist, with a pair of purple LEDs in the nose metal work (I don't know the history of these purple highlights, but they're not standard).

Interior is mostly in good condition, blue seats - the drivers seat is patched - but there's a set of blue seat covers which were fitted when we bought the car (I took them off because I wanted full use of the split rear seat).

The car has the rear-facing seats in the boot, and the tonneau cover/luggage net (in matching colours).

IIRC all the electrical toys work fine: sunroof, mirrors, windows, bootlid, central locking etc.

Car has a fancy Blaupunkt radio fitted - one of the early SATNAV systems - can't remember the exact name offhand though.

OP
R

RiceBurner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 230TE
Sorry to hear about all of the events,why not put the car in parts for sale and wanted section

I wasn't sure if we were "allowed" to put whole cars in the parts section??

Michael G 2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nowt yet...
I wish I could put photos up - but ironically, although we owned it for around 7 months (IIRC), I never took any!! :(

Some further details are that the car has around 130,000 - 140,000 miles (I can't remember!) on it, but runs well.
Very little corrosion (none in the front wheel arches which I know is a weak spot),

Car is white, with light grey lower half, and a purple pinline along the lower waist, with a pair of purple LEDs in the nose metal work (I don't know the history of these purple highlights, but they're not standard).

Interior is mostly in good condition, blue seats - the drivers seat is patched - but there's a set of blue seat covers which were fitted when we bought the car (I took them off because I wanted full use of the split rear seat).

The car has the rear-facing seats in the boot, and the tonneau cover/luggage net (in matching colours).

IIRC all the electrical toys work fine: sunroof, mirrors, windows, bootlid, central locking etc.

Car has a fancy Blaupunkt radio fitted - one of the early SATNAV systems - can't remember the exact name offhand though.

She seems like a lovely example, not sure if you've mentioned sorry if you have but whats the price?

Last edited:
OP
R

RiceBurner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 230TE
She seems like a lovely example, not sure if you've mentioned sorry if you have but whats the price?

I think my wife agreed the starting price would be around £1450, but as said, everything is being handled through the indie.

djb

Reaction score
Lo all, hope no-one minds this thread, as it could be construed as an ad...

Basically, due to marital circumstances I am having to sell my beloved W124 (white 230TE in good nick, recently had the water pump replaced), the oddity is that I no longer have access to the car. It's being sold through an independant (Around the Benz, in Ford, West Sussex), who are managing the sale on behalf of my wife.

The reason for it happening this way is that I've moved up to London, and she's stayed down in W.Sussex, and she was using the car up until recently.

Question is, would an arrangement like this put you off being interested in the car? I am hoping that being sold through an indie workshop in this manner wouldn't put people off? I have to say that it didn't put me off when I bought it from Around the Benz myself!

I dont personally think your circumstances of sale would have any detrimental effect with a serious buyer. After all hundreds of houses are sold in a similar manner.

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)

That would be the Estate Car then? Worth putting that prominently in the title of the ad, rather than having people deduce it for themselves.

I am sure there will be interest. Good luck and sorry to hear about the circumstances. Sadly, you can't put the wife in the Parts Section too!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
That would be the Estate Car then? Worth putting that prominently in the title of the ad, rather than having people deduce it for themselves.

I am sure there will be interest. Good luck and sorry to hear about the circumstances. Sadly, you can't put the wife in the Parts Section too!

you beat me to it Alex. i was going to suggest selling the wife and keeping the car! :lol::lol::lol:

on a serious note though, good luck with the sale.

OP
R

RiceBurner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1991 230TE

yes, it's the estate. I always wonder about stating that explicitly, especially on a Merc forum where you'd almost expect most readers to "know" that TE denotes an estate. :)

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom