Semantics, or "can we count"

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
So, it's a 2p increase in fuel prices again - "to support the national economy" said GB. Well, wouldn't it be just too easy if we could all raise our prices if business was doing badly?

One way of viewing the increase is that if we take a litre of fuel @ circa 105p, then the cost of the fuel is 35p, and the "Jooty" and resultant VAT is 70p.

Now, I accept that 70% (ish) of the cost is tax - but that is not 70% tax - it is 70p tax on a 35p product - it is 200% tax!

Discuss.

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Agreed, in my mind wouldn't it be better to lower the duty therefore making fuel, and as a result almost all the goods and services we buy/use cheaper thereby kick starting the economy.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Agreed, in my mind wouldn't it be better to lower the duty therefore making fuel, and as a result almost all the goods and services we buy/use cheaper thereby kick starting the economy.

True,,then we would buy more new tyres and have the car serviced more often through the higher mileages,,we would spend more eating out as well as maybe the odd hotel as well

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
By the hour, Malcolm?

Oh no,,4 hours is the minimum,,if a job is worth doing,,then it must be done properly,,and that is with the heart and not the wallet

Miffy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 320 CAB Elegance C208
How did GB work that out, in one hand he wants 2p extra for the sake of the economy, but at the same time he wants us to leave our cars at home and bike, walk, etc, by putting 2p on the litre, he is really saying he wants us on the roads

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
How did GB work that out, in one hand he wants 2p extra for the sake of the economy, but at the same time he wants us to leave our cars at home and bike, walk, etc, by putting 2p on the litre, he is really saying he wants us on the roads

They can't afford for all of us to stop driving and using public transport. It's the same with the halfhearted attempts to get people to stop smoking. If everybody stopped, the effect on the tax coffers would be horrendous.

On the good news front, Veg oil is down to 70 ppl. :D

OP
Alex M Grieve

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh no,,4 hours is the minimum,,if a job is worth doing,,then it must be done properly,,and that is with the heart and not the wallet

Agreed Malcolm.

It takes me at least 4 hours to get anything out of my wallet too!

Jay Gee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Honda

Alex makes a very good point(doesn't he always?).I'm afraid that you,Blobcat can forget about any chance of getting a post of importance in this ,or possibly any, government. The quote above is far too logical.You see,if the gov't use sense to formulate policy,then the lower orders would understand it,and that would never do,would it? :mad:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)

this is what ive been saying for YEARS!!! want to get people spending? give them MORE SPARE cash to spend, not LESS!!!!!!!!!!!

simon_wall69

Reaction score
Well, I went down to the chippie for some old oil, and filled up the w124. So that's about 500 miles for free.

I still don't get why I don't have to spend any duty on this. I'm not complaining of course.

keith100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c300 2008 (Gone)
Can we count?

Lots can't, (forum members excluded of course) or perhaps just don't think about it.

And politicians "count" on it!

Finance ministers love to announce:

"The rate of tax on X will be raised only 1% from 5 to 6%"

The average voter thinks "Phew, thank god it's only 1%".

Like hell, it's actually a 20% increase in the tax payable.........which would cause outrage.

Cheers

Keith

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
Don't forget the swindle of VAT being charged on the duty!

I can't see what Value is added by the fuel duty myself.

OP
Alex M Grieve

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Can we count?

And politicians "count" on it!

Finance ministers love to announce:

"The rate of tax on X will be raised only 1% from 5 to 6%"

The average voter thinks "Phew, thank god it's only 1%".

Like hell, it's actually a 20% increase in the tax payable.........which would cause outrage.

Cheers

Keith

Equally worse Keith would be the readjustment of VAT - which will come sure as night follows day.

It is not inconceivable that it could go from 15% up to 20%, mimicking many European Countries, although they use it as a major source of taxation, whereas we have many other taxes (GB needs the money, and other countries do it - you heard it here first!).

That would not be a 5% increase, it would be a 33.3% increase and would make a massive difference to the UK tax take, for zero effort on their part.

keith100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w204 c300 2008 (Gone)
Equally worse Keith would be the readjustment of VAT - which will come sure as night follows day.

It is not inconceivable that it could go from 15% up to 20%, mimicking many European Countries, although they use it as a major source of taxation, whereas we have many other taxes (GB needs the money, and other countries do it - you heard it here first!).

That would not be a 5% increase, it would be a 33.3% increase and would make a massive difference to the UK tax take, for zero effort on their part.

Ouch!

That might just get noticed. Delayed until after the next election, do you think? Better get a few cases of malt in now, Alex.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom