Semi-Synthetic Oil?

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A160 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde SE 2010
Rang my local MB dealer to book a service (57 plate A Class 150 Classic SE) and was advised that because of my low mileage (less than 5,000 pa) semi-synthetic oil would be perfectly good option and 50% cheaper.

Does this sound sensible?

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Rang my local MB dealer to book a service (57 plate A Class 150 Classic SE) and was advised that because of my low mileage (less than 5,000 pa) semi-synthetic oil would be perfectly good option and 50% cheaper.

Does this sound sensible?

I'm sure it is sensible. We used to trust such oils to much higher mileages and/or time between changes. They have not become less durable because fully synthetic has arrived.

What is the saving in cash? Other low mileage drivers on the new ASSYST schedule (15,500 or one year, wits) may well follow your example.

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Based on their prices, yes they have a point. Traditionally on my car, if fitted with semi synthetic oil, I have 9,500 miles between services. On fully synthetic its 13,000. If you're doing 5,000 and having annual services there is little benefit in using fully synthetic. However, also factor in that their charge for semi synthetic is roughly double what you'd pay for Mobil 1 fully synthetic at costco. So you could supply your own oil, have the better stuff and save even more.
But, in answer to yoyr question, yes they have a very valid point.

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
I don't see why not, a dealer would be in some trouble if they recommended the wrong oil for your car so I'd make sure they've double checked and then follow the advice. It's rare enough that dealers actually save you money these days so make the most of it. :D

OP
R

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry - should have said in my original post '£50 (pounds) cheaper ' - not 50 per cent.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
At your mileage why not use the magnatec it can be bought for around £15 for 4 liters

OP
R

rhud

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What is magnatec?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
we asked MB carlisle and they recommended magnatec diesel for dads c220cdi. its had nothing else since hes owned it and assyst tells him its due service after 20k miles usually! he doesnt use it so much now though so that will be reduced.

incidentally, it was £25 for a 4 litre container for diesel magnatec in halfords last time we got some

chris0161

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270cdi
I don't see why not, a dealer would be in some trouble if they recommended the wrong oil for your car so I'd make sure they've double checked and then follow the advice. It's rare enough that dealers actually save you money these days so make the most of it. :D

Not strictly true. Arnold Clark dont only recommend the wrong oil, they actually use it.

The Astra i had previously was serviced by them before i bought it. The service book clearly states "only use 0w30, 5w30, 0w40, 5w40", but they used 10w40 semi-synthetic instead of long life fully-synthetic that Vauxhall recommend.

When i took this up with Vauxhall this was their response "our service booklet is a recommendation, therefore, is not necessarily a requirement".

So there you have it, dealers can do what they want and manufacturers role over.

chris0161

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C270cdi
we asked MB carlisle and they recommended magnatec diesel for dads c220cdi. its had nothing else since hes owned it and assyst tells him its due service after 20k miles usually! he doesnt use it so much now though so that will be reduced.

incidentally, it was £25 for a 4 litre container for diesel magnatec in halfords last time we got some

As already stated, Mobil 1 0w30 is only £23 for 4 litres at Costco. For those that have access.

grober

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200cdi estate
Castrol Magnatec 10W40 is "semisynthetic" but has a lower proportion of synthetic components than others e.g. FUCHS Titan STR 10w40 or Millers Oils XSS 10W40 both of which are supplied in 5 litre containers rather than 4 and thusappear to be much cheaper. Halfords own brands of oil are reputedly made by Comma and their semi-synthetic/synthetic would be a good economic buy

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Castrol Magnatec 10W40 is "semisynthetic" but has a lower proportion of synthetic components than others e.g. FUCHS Titan STR 10w40 or Millers Oils XSS 10W40 both of which are supplied in 5 litre containers rather than 4 and thusappear to be much cheaper. Halfords own brands of oil are reputedly made by Comma and their semi-synthetic/synthetic would be a good economic buy

Thats nice to know and thank you for that :D:D

LSD

Reaction score
Very emotive and nervy things, engine oil choice and change intervals. A friend of mine was a research chemist at Shell for many years. In the early 'eighties when Mobil 1 had made its mark he told me "use it - there is nothing that comes close".

Around this time one of Mobil's promotions was showing the effects (basically none) on an engine of leaving Mobil 1 in it for 25,000 miles of mixed use, including some track stuff (XR3i engine I think it was). It was compared with an engine operated in parallel using contemporary mineral oil changed at the then normal 6k intervals.

The Mobil engine looked almost as new save for a kind of light golden colouring. The other was fine but had already accumulated noticeable deposits of crud. Apparently there was no wear in the engine run on Mobil 1.

The engines could be seen part-stripped at various motorshows. Most modern oils have very high factors of performance (particularly the full and semi-synthetics). They are tolerant and capable of very extended intervals, provided cars are carefully warmed up, and gently cooled after a thrashing.

But try making yourself leave oil in an engine for that long!

Alex M Grieve

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B Class d200 Sport Premium Plus (66)
Very emotive and nervy things, engine oil choice and change intervals. A friend of mine was a research chemist at Shell for many years. In the early 'eighties when Mobil 1 had made its mark he told me "use it - there is nothing that comes close".

Around this time one of Mobil's promotions was showing the effects (basically none) on an engine of leaving Mobil 1 in it for 25,000 miles of mixed use, including some track stuff (XR3i engine I think it was). It was compared with an engine operated in parallel using contemporary mineral oil changed at the then normal 6k intervals.

The Mobil engine looked almost as new save for a kind of light golden colouring. The other was fine but had already accumulated noticeable deposits of crud. Apparently there was no wear in the engine run on Mobil 1.

The engines could be seen part-stripped at various motor shows. Most modern oils have very high factors of performance (particularly the full and semi-synthetics). They are tolerant and capable of very extended intervals, provided cars are carefully warmed up, and gently cooled after a thrashing.

But try making yourself leave oil in an engine for that long!

I absolutely agree. But wait, has not ASSYST been programmed recently to require a service every year, or 15,500 miles (wits)? For the 5,000 miles per year motorist, the above information is welcome, but galling!

Dinnie

Reaction score
I've paid £20 for a 5 litre Mobil S 10w-40 from Halfords recently.

This is MB 229.1 semi-synthetic spec oil

(currently, still on offer!)

Alternatively, check kwik fit:

http://www.kwik-fit.com/mot-and-service-pricing.asp

For cars less than 3 litre, they will do an oil service for Mobil S for £29 and Mobil 1 (0w-40) for £39

Save an additional £5 if booked online. Remember, at these prices, it includes the oil filter, disposal of old oil and the labour!

EDX

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2009, C220 CDI, SE Blue Efficiency, Estate
Going slightly off subject here but I think we are being ripped off on oil prices. I've just returned from France where I saw Mobil 1 5w40 for turbo diesels in an E Leclerc, a 5 litre + 2 litre pack for €35. Needless to say, I bought a pack!

roadhog

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 300D x2, C124 300
For the 5,000 miles per year motorist, the above information is welcome, but galling!

They'll just have to get out more. :D
Alternatively, check kwik fit:

http://www.kwik-fit.com/mot-and-service-pricing.asp

For cars less than 3 litre, they will do an oil service for Mobil S for £29 and Mobil 1 (0w-40) for £39

Save an additional £5 if booked online. Remember, at these prices, it includes the oil filter, disposal of old oil and the labour!

Is that 3 litre engine capacity or oil quantity? My W124 takes (from memory) something like 6.5 litres, my *** even takes 8. Can't see them doing that for long.

Going slightly off subject here but I think we are being ripped off on oil prices. I've just returned from France where I saw Mobil 1 5w40 for turbo diesels in an E Leclerc, a 5 litre + 2 litre pack for €35. Needless to say, I bought a pack!

Only one?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom