Serious road incident in Stevenage

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
Very sad for those involved, but just an unfortunate accident I'm afraid. Hope everyone recovers.

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
just sheer luck there aren't more smashes just like this , someone pulled out in front of me on Wednesday evening , no idea how I missed him ??

rorywquin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
An old B-Class.
Very sad for those involved, but just an unfortunate accident I'm afraid. Hope everyone recovers.

I'd say an accident waiting to happen with people all over the place and boy racers.....

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
I would prosecute the Organisers on so many levels, a charity event held on Public Roads?
The event was a static show (i.e. cars parked up to be looked at on private property), the road outside where the crash happened was just a public road that lead to where the event was being hosted. So not something in the organisers control, they had also informed the local police and asked for them to be present to stop the racing happening, as normal police are stretched too thin and can’t be present to nip this behaviour in the bud.

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
You see over excited teenagers at a lot of events putting themselves at risk by standing in the road, taking photos or videos and egging drivers on to do burn outs, peel outs etc. Organizers of events should take some responsibility in terms of location of these events and the obvious possibility of problems with public safety. Even at our local Phantom Winger event which is relatively low key, an older bloke obliterated his R8 whilst attempting to pose for a group of teenagers. Fortunately no one was hurt on that occasion. Shame if events are banned just for the sake of a bit of foresight and planning.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
You also get excited middle aged people leaving "supercar" events and getting themselves into awkward situations.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
The event was a static show (i.e. cars parked up to be looked at on private property), the road outside where the crash happened was just a public road that lead to where the event was being hosted. So not something in the organisers control, they had also informed the local police and asked for them to be present to stop the racing happening, as normal police are stretched too thin and can’t be present to nip this behaviour in the bud.

Well I guess all will be revealed in the fullness of time, but in my considered opinion, the Organisers, local Council AND the Emergency Services should have identified the risk of such a gathering on public roads around Organising such an event in their usual Risk Assessments prior to licensing the event.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
I would prosecute the Organisers on so many levels, a charity event held on Public Roads?

How many times do you see Road Lice (Cycle Racers) on dual carriageways all over the near side lane ?? :(

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
There’s loads of static events nationwide every year with no incidents- again some individuals with minimal brain cells apt to ruin things for the majority, but that can be said in all walks of life really.....

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
How many times do you see Road Lice (Cycle Racers) on dual carriageways all over the near side lane ?? :(

Quite often in this day and age and if you were to knock one off there would be an investigation and if the organisers or other stakeholders were found to be negligent, they would be prosecuted.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
When any goup of people get together for a specific event, there is often a 'fringe minority' who become extreme and spoil it.
It looks to have been the case on this occasion, which has been run regularly as an established static car show.

Last edited:

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
People driving like tits on public roads, nothing much more the organiser can do about it apart from inform the local authorities about the event and request presents of emergency services. If the authorities don’t have the man power to be at an event that’s not the fault of the organiser. And again the event was not being held on a public road, it was held on private property and local authorities were informed about the type of event and the numbers expected to be visiting.
Well I guess all will be revealed in the fullness of time, but in my considered opinion, the Organisers, local Council AND the Emergency Services should have identified the risk of such a gathering on public roads around Organising such an event in their usual Risk Assessments prior to licensing the event.

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Well I guess all will be revealed in the fullness of time, but in my

considered opinion, the Organisers, local Council AND the Emergency Services should have identified the risk of such a gathering on public roads around Organising such an event in their usual Risk Assessments prior to licensing the event.

Yes, absolutely, if the organisers were as criminally irresponsible as the ones at the Stevenage event.

From the information currently available any criminality is on the part of the blue car driver, who was driving at an inappropriate speed in which to stop when a car pulled into a speed limited public highway from a private road. The public highway was bordered by and includes a central reservation, all of which were occupied by pedestrians in considerable numbers obscuring clear view of the road ahead and around and as such the driver is responsible to drive to the conditions. Clearly that driver was not driving with due care and attention and to the prevailing conditions. Driving like a twat is a more appropriate description.

At a venue off of the public highway was a regular, over 17 years on a Thursday evening, charity event known to countless thousands of people in the locale, and had gone without incident in its bounds by all accounts. Seems a pretty safe record to me ;)

Are road traffic incidents on the M25 on days when there are concerts at wembley, State visits in Londinium, rugger at Twickers the fault of the organisers of said events; by your logic? Or for that matter any large gatherings of people for any event? The school holiday policy makers will be responsible for any road traffic incidents later today on the peak day for traffic heading off on holidays by your consideration then? :geek::shock::cool::D

Still, where there is a blame, there is a claim :rolleyes::D:D

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
An event setup as static show to raise money for charity and a few idiots cause 17 people plus bystanders to suffer the consequences. The organisers have said they will no longer run the show.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
People driving like tits on public roads, nothing much more the organiser can do about it apart from inform the local authorities about the event and request presents of emergency services. If the authorities don’t have the man power to be at an event that’s not the fault of the organiser. And again the event was not being held on a public road, it was held on private property and local authorities were informed about the type of event and the numbers expected to be visiting.
Any requests for the attendance of any emergency services prior to the event would have been met with an estimate of costs associated with that attendance, the Emergency Services do not provide crowd or traffic control to organised events free of charge! and this tragedy was without doubt, an extension of the organised event. As I said, time will tell who the authorities will consider culpable for the chaos on the roads surrounding this event and my money is on the organisers of the related event, we will see.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom