Serious road incident in Stevenage

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
ive just watched the video clip online , guy pulls out in front of another guy ! happens day in , day out , thousands of times a day ! this one just happened to be where crowds had gathered and hence why the carnage , were the onlookers in a safe place to be on an open carriage way ??

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
Any requests for the attendance of any emergency services prior to the event would have been met with an estimate of costs associated with that attendance, the Emergency Services do not provide crowd or traffic control to organised events free of charge! and this tragedy was without doubt, an extension of the organised event. As I said, time will tell who the authorities will consider culpable for the chaos on the roads surrounding this event and my money is on the organisers of the related event, we will see.
I agree with you in part Tony but I live 4 miles away from a race circuit , it regularly holds track days for exotics like ferrari's etc , they all come bailing into town for fuel , does that mean the race circuit should be held responsible for the way they drive to and from an event ??

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 C 220 CDI W204 OM 651
Are road traffic incidents on the M25 on days when there are concerts at wembley, State visits in Londinium, rugger at Twickers the fault of the organisers of said events; by your logic? Or for that matter any large gatherings of people for any event? The school holiday policy makers will be responsible for any road traffic incidents later today on the peak day for traffic heading off on holidays by your consideration then? :geek::shock::cool::D
I agree with you in part Tony but I live 4 miles away from a race circuit , it regularly holds track days for exotics like ferrari's etc , they all come bailing into town for fuel , does that mean the race circuit should be held responsible for the way they drive to and from an event ??

Before any organised public event is licensed to proceed by the local authorities, the organiser is required to provide detailed plans to include, but not limited to, expected numbers of visitors and by what transport methods they are expected to arrive, including expected pressure points and any plans in mitigation of the pressure points on local roads, along with comprehensive details in their Risk Assessments and Method Statements for traffic and crowd control to and from the event. These applications are then shared with the relevant Authority departments and the Emergency Services for comment and further recommendations.
So the answer to all the questions, from the sublime to the ridiculous :) I simply cannot comment upon, it is up to the local authority to decide how far and wide they expect the organisers to be responsible in the question of crowd and traffic control.

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Tony, you're making some pretty sweeping statements and assumptions regarding the organisation of this event. You don't know how well this event was organised but 17 years without incident is a pretty good record I would say.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
It’s going to be discussed on Jeremy Vine today.....

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Tony, you're making some pretty sweeping statements and assumptions regarding the organisation of this event. You don't know how well this event was organised but 17 years without incident is a pretty good record I would say.

The organisers have stated "This is a Strictly Static Meet & Any Antisocial Behaviour Will Not be Tolerated! Any Such Behaviour will be Dealt with by the Local Authorities!! So strictly NO Wheel Spins NO Burnouts and NO Drifting." Obviously the organisers were not in control at this time. And I suspect the same situation was the case at previous events, unfortunately it went seriously wrong this time :rolleyes::(

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
It’s not the first event where a tragedy like this has happened nor will it be the last, due to the poor driving standards of some and less than standard brain cells to rub between them all it’s inevitable, like everything in the world it only takes a few to ruin something for the masses.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
If the event was approved by the local authority and the relevant emergencies notified as part of the application and all were happy enough with it to approve the application then surely the only culpability for the organisers would be if they didn't follow the plans given to the authorities. That would need to be proven.

Anywhere you get high performance cars you get idiots who think it acceptable to ignore traffic laws, common sense and common courtesy in order to show off.

I suspect the driver turning into the road and the driver speeding will both be prosecuted. The speeding driver will almost certainly be prosecuted for dangerous driving.

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
As news of the tragedy is developing it appears it was an informal event held weekly in different public car park locations, no authorities were notified of the event. A bit like an illegal rave for car enthusiast, I'm even more convinced the organisers should be shot.

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
Nothing unfortunate about it, they were driving like total d**ks at a static event,

Unless they crashed deliberately, it was an accident. A stupid accident, an avoidable accident, even a forseeable accident; but an accident nontheless. The unfortunat part was for those innocent people injured.

davidsl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R172 250CDI Gone..!, R129 SL500 Gone...
So were the landlords of the Retail Park aware of the event taking place on their land? - I bet not. Was insurance bought by the organisers to cover this public event - I bet not. Did it occur on private land - no, it was a public car park which would be defined as a Public Highway by the authorities.

The organiser said it was a static show on the retail park but a few idiots had got out onto the roads. So how come there are donut marks all over the retail park then?

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
As news of the tragedy is developing it appears it was an informal event held weekly in different public car park locations, no authorities were notified of the event. A bit like an illegal rave for car enthusiast, I'm even more convinced the organisers should be shot.

On the beeb news just now the plod said they knew of the events going on, but not last nights apparently!!

The blame game commences ;)

OP
flowrider

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Yep, I just heard on the news that the police were not made aware of the event. :(

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just had a look at a few things, seems there is an official event but looks like this one wasn’t one of those, if that’s the case then throw the book at whoever got everything organised, totally not on to set up meets on public roads/car parks without the relevant authorities aware

Srdl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GLC43 AMG 2018 (X253)
Judging by the number of spectators, they were obviously not expecting a static event. At the other end of the scale, having read reports from some AMG meet up/drive outs, I’m not sure it is just brainless youngsters who do dangerous things on the public highway.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Judging by the number of spectators, they were obviously not expecting a static event. At the other end of the scale, having read reports from some AMG meet up/drive outs, I’m not sure it is just brainless youngsters who do dangerous things on the public highway.

There is a time and a place for all types of driving and AMG drivers are no different to Audi/BMW/GTR etc meet ups. The kind of event where (usually young) people are lining the streets in close proximity is not the place to show off.

Ever been on the drag strip at an MSL GTG?

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
V6 Matty - Have MBO forum meets always involved the police? Just sayin'
Different level of meet comparatively, a meet up with a few friends from the forum is not 60+ car event where they are known for “showing off”,

Tony Dyson

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Are you for real Tony?
Yes, the event was organised by the "Cruise Herts Club" not the ''Static Herts Club" as now claimed by the club organisers on private land they had no legal right to use AND the public highway and without providing due diligence with regards to the Health, Safety and Welfare of Exhibitors and visitors alike.
Who do you think should lose sleep and feel culpable for the night's carnage? 17 injured and two of them serious? We all have a Duty of Care in everything we do, especially when it comes to the Health and Safety of others. Shooting them should be taken metaphorically as indeed it was intended but I would suggest the parents, children and loved ones of the true victims of the events at Stevenage may think otherwise.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom